Lucas Townsend
United States
Edenton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I've been on BGG for about 3 years now, but I haven't actually tried to trade before. Could someone instruct me on how it works? I've found several things I'm interested in. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As the person proposing the trade...

1. Geekmail the person you want to trade with first. Strictly speaking, this isn't necessary, but it's always appreciated. If there's anything special you need to disclose, e.g. you won't be able to ship until [date] or there's a broken corner on the box, etc, bring it up now.

2a. If you don't hear back from them, don't read too much into it. A lot of people don't check the site every day. If you don't hear from them within a couple of days, feel free to arrange another trade with the same items; as long as you're geekmailing people beforehand, you don't need to worry about accidentally getting obligated to trade the same game twice!

2b. After getting confirmation that they're interested in the trade, propose it. You'll select the game(s) you want to give and the game(s) you want in return.

3. Once the other party confirms, both parties will be sent eachother's mailing address.

4. Mail your game at your earliest convenience. If you're not going to be able to mail it within the next couple days, make sure your trading partner knows that ahead of time.

5. After you mail it, go back to the trade confirmation geekmail which will link you to the deal. Click the deal and click "ship". Then you'll have the option of putting in a tracking number (I highly recommend getting a tracking number; for USPS, it's an extra $2-3 or so) and any notes you might have.

6. After you receive your trade partner's package, check that everything's arrived and in good (or the agreed-upon) condition. If there are problems, geekmail your partner and get them worked out. Otherwise, leave positive feedback.

As the person accepting the trade...

1. If they didn't geekmail you and instead just proposed a blind trade, don't hold it against them. Like I said, it's always appreciated to mail someone first, but it's not necessary, and a lot of people wouldn't think of it.

2. Before accepting the trade...

a. Check where they live, consider what you'd be sending, and make sure you're willing to accept the costs of postage and appropriate packing material.

b. Ask them any questions you might have, e.g. about the condition or edition of their offerings.

c. If you have anything you need to disclose with them, do so, and get a confirmation from their end that they're still ok with the trade before you accept the trade.

d. Check the person's trade reputation. I've never been burned in a geek trade, but some people are. The reputation system's there for a reason. But, don't ignore people who don't have any trades... They're in the same boat as you!

3. Continue as above

Oh, and one final caveat. I've never had this happen to me, nor have I ever asked anyone, but it's entirely plausible that someone might look at your lack of trading history and ask for you to send first. If you're ok with that, great. If you don't feel comfortable with that, that's fine too, just politely decline and move on to a different trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Townsend
United States
Edenton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your kind insight and advice. To the trade list we go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for asking this question and thanks even more for the awesome response. I now know what I guess I have been doing wrong with trades. I just never figured to email anyone first since there is a "counter offer" button that they would just click if they wanted to change something. I was getting increasingly frustrated since no one ever responded to my trade offers and just let them expire. Many thanks and happy trading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Roeswood
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, message them first! Good advice, I will do that. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.