$10.00
Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Arkham Horror: Innsmouth Horror Expansion» Forums » General

Subject: Deep Ones Rising - not very relevant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, admittedly I've only played the expansion four times now, but in none of those games has the deep ones rising track ever been a problem. I think the "worst" I've had is three clue tokens on it. If I understand correctly, the track only increases when a monster hits a portal or if a gate doesn't open on a sealed location. Am I missing something here or is really just a minor threat in the overall game?

Possible issue: I have Pharaoh and Lurker mixed into my deck. I don't think there were any Innsmouth related cards in those expansions, so my mythos deck might be "diluted" against more gates opening on that part of the map.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steward
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Some sessions it won't be and some it will. Once you have gate open up on Devil's Reef you can get into trouble quick. Players have reported having sessions in which the Deep Ones Rising track has filled after their second Mythos Card due to drawing Devil's Reef twice in a row causing a monsters surge with Monsters moving right into the vortex. A very short game indeed.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think gate dilution is the problem. I made the mistake of shuffling Lurker, Innsmouth, and base Mythos together, and very few gates opened in Innsmouth.

If you don't have Miskatonic, try this. Setup the Innsmouth Mythos deck *next* to the Mythos deck. Alternate drawing from these Mythos decks, so the gates open evenly across the boards. IIRC, The Innmouth Mythos deck is 1/2 the size of the base game Mythos deck, so you could also draw from the Innsmouth deck 1/3 of the time.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're just having strange luck. Adding only two extra expansions shouldn't be enough to annihilate the track's activity. A monster surge or two on devil reef should give you the trouble you're looking for.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In most of the games I've played with it, the Deep Ones Rising track is at least a concern, if not a major problem. I've lost at least two games to it out of maybe 10 with the Innsmouth board.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarge in charge!
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
Why should I fret in microcosmic bonds / That chafe the spirit, and the mind repress / When through the clouds gleam beckoning beyonds / Whose shining vistas mock man's littleness?
mbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
I think gate dilution is the problem. I made the mistake of shuffling Lurker, Innsmouth, and base Mythos together, and very few gates opened in Innsmouth.

If you don't have Miskatonic, try this. Setup the Innsmouth Mythos deck *next* to the Mythos deck. Alternate drawing from these Mythos decks, so the gates open evenly across the boards. IIRC, The Innmouth Mythos deck is 1/2 the size of the base game Mythos deck, so you could also draw from the Innsmouth deck 1/3 of the time.

I've done something similar for my solo games - each time I have to draw any card, I roll a die: even numbers and I use the base deck, odd numbers and I draw from whatever expansion I'm using at that time. Works only when you add 1 expansion, though. But that way you will get to see some expansion cards, not just basic stuff. For multiple expansions you could assign numbers to each expansion and then draw from the according deck - if you don't want to mix them together.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently playing my AH games with Innsmouth as my standard expansion (having played a large number of games with Dunwich as my standard expansion). I have all expansions bar Goat, but I only include the Base, Innsmouth and Miskatonic cards in the Mythos deck. I find that the DOR track is always a risk, but that it may or may not be pivotal. For me, it depends largely on the number of Gates that open in Innsmouth (and whether there are Monster Surges) and whether the "Big Four" get Sealed early - thus causing the DOR to fill. The situation is analogous to the Gate Burst issue - leaving the Big Four to Surge rather than Burst.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Jönsson
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that spending some time in Innsmouth might catch the attention of the Deep Ones, quite a few encounters have to do with Deep Ones in Innsmouth. So it comes quite natural, if you don't stir things up in there, not much happens.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glom wrote:
I found that spending some time in Innsmouth might catch the attention of the Deep Ones, quite a few encounters have to do with Deep Ones in Innsmouth. So it comes quite natural, if you don't stir things up in there, not much happens.
If Gates open in Innsmouth you will, sooner or later, have a problem with the DoR track if you stay out of Innsmouth. The Gates will spawn Monsters that will disappear into Vortexes and cause the DoR Track to fill. The only thing that can save you is luck: luck that prevents the Gates opening in Innsmouth. Miskatonic sure fixes that for you!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep the basic Mythos cards (shuffled with the pure Miskatonic cards too) seperated to the Innsmouth cards. Every Mythos phase you roll a die:

1-3: Basic Mythos card
4-6: Innsmouth Mythos card

This way it is (in most cases) not as punishing as drawing the consequent alternate way and it is not that lame if you shuffled all cards together.

This solves every population problem of the expansion boards and I will never play a different way.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beckikaze wrote:
Keep the basic Mythos cards (shuffled with the pure Miskatonic cards too) seperated to the Innsmouth cards. Every Mythos phase you roll a die:

1-3: Basic Mythos card
4-6: Innsmouth Mythos card

This way it is (in most cases) not as punishing as drawing the consequent alternate way and it is not that lame if you shuffled all cards together.

This solves every population problem of the expansion boards and I will never play a different way.
There's a better way (IMO): take a leaf from the Eldritch Horror book and use a constructed Mythos deck. Item for Geeklist "Arkham Horror: Variant Rules used by mccrispy" . Not only does it allow you a little bit of 'tweakability' for adjusting difficulty, it also helps you encounter every Mythos card in your game faster than a 'heap them all together' approach.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.