Subject: What to choose... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guðmundur B. Gíslason
Iceland
Kóapvogur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I arrived in Arkham about a year ago, made some new friends. We have laughed together cried together some have died well most have…

where am I? Ohh yes … I have AH, Dark Pharaoh (old) and DH. There is something about DP that I don't really like, how hard it is to get exhibit items etc. But DH on the other hand I love, it really spices up the game in a awesome way I would say. I have been anal about buying expansion in the right order (release date) but I don't want to end up buying a new one and day's after I buy it FFG announces a revisited edition :/.

In short I want a new smallbox expansion but not sure if I should go with the release timeline. What would you recommend taking in count witch expansions I own Curse Of the Dark Pharaoh(old) and Dunwich Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Salamanca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham doesn't really have that bad a record as far as revisions go. The base game was revised more than five years ago, and has stayed the same since; the small number of cards needed to update an unrevised set were included with Dunwich Horror, and the updated rulebook is available online. In any case, you almost certainly have the revised edition.

Curse of the Dark Pharaoh was the first expansion for Arkham, and had a different design team. Although it had great atmospherics, there were some clunky mechanics and amibiguities which made it difficult to use or to combine with other expansions. The Revised Dark Pharaoh addresses these issues very effectively (in particular the problem with getting Exhibit items being so hit-or-miss), and I ended up purchasing it and am happy with it. If you really like CotDP, it's worth getting, but it is not greatly different.

None of the other expansions are slated for revision, and none of them need it like CotDP did. I wouldn't expect that any of them would be updated unless the base game itself was revised at some point.

The three remaining small boxes are pretty distinct.

Black Goat of the Woods is a fine expansion, and I like it very much, but I also consider it the very least of the small boxes; I would buy it last.

King in Yellow significantly raises the difficulty of the game, and provides for very tense game play. However, like CotDP, it does NOT include gate bursts in its mythos.

Lurker at the Threshold can actually make the game easier if you use the herald, but it is probably the most fun small box. It adds Relationship Cards, and an alternative Gate Stack which adds a new dimension of strategy to the game.

Really depends on what you want out of your small box; none of them are bad, but Lurker probably has the most new goodies, and King in Yellow the biggest uptick in difficulty (although the Black Goat of the Woods herald can be nearly undefeatable).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur B. Gíslason
Iceland
Kóapvogur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Really depends on what you want out of your small box; none of them are bad, but Lurker probably has the most new goodies, and King in Yellow the biggest uptick in difficulty (although the Black Goat of the Woods herald can be nearly undefeatable).

You have narrowed it down to 2.. flip a coin?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur B. Gíslason
Iceland
Kóapvogur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was somewhere a poll where people pared the expansions that they thought worked best together. But I cant seem to find that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steward
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There was somewhere a poll where people pared the expansions that they
Quote:
thought worked best together. But I cant seem to find that...

[url]
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AliZyklaTCWzdEs...[/url]

Quote:
but I don't want to end up buying a new one and day's after I buy it FFG announces a revisited edition :/

Dark Pharaoh was revised for improvements before Miskatonic Horror. I strongly feel that you won't see this with any other expansions. Miskatonic Horror tied everything together and essentially finalized the Arkham collection. If FFG was going to revise other expansions they would have done it before Miskatonic, not after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur B. Gíslason
Iceland
Kóapvogur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stewaa991 wrote:
There was somewhere a poll where people pared the expansions that they
Quote:
thought worked best together. But I cant seem to find that...

[url]
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AliZyklaTCWzdEs...[/url]

Quote:
but I don't want to end up buying a new one and day's after I buy it FFG announces a revisited edition :/

Dark Pharaoh was revised for improvements before Miskatonic Horror. I strongly feel that you won't see this with any other expansions. Miskatonic Horror tied everything together and essentially finalized the Arkham collection. If FFG was going to revise other expansions they would have done it before Miskatonic, not after.

Awesome thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, as that chart was quick to reveal, both KiY and Lurker are good additions to your combo. In fact, any are good except Innsmouth.

When in doubt, fall back on chronological order. Get King in Yellow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur B. Gíslason
Iceland
Kóapvogur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
Yeah, as that chart was quick to reveal, both KiY and Lurker are good additions to your combo. In fact, any are good except Innsmouth.

When in doubt, fall back on chronological order. Get King in Yellow.

Jeah I think that's right..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tempel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like you, Mummi, I initially owned the first edition of CotDP. A few months later, the revised edition came out

After hemming and hawing, I decided to buy the revised edition, and I'm really glad I did. It's mostly the same, but some of the cards have been revised (for the better, IMO, but there are a few cards that some people prefer the old cards... not a problem, however, just keep the old copy in your deck). It also adds the Dark Pharaoh herald. Most importantly, it adds two basic mechanics that drastically improve the game:

1. It adds an Ancient Whispers token that moves around the board to different street locations. You can end your movement there, and have a "Whispers" Encounter in an attempt to gain an Exhibit Item. That fixes my major complaint with the original CotDP; you're much more likely to gain an Exhibit Item (well, unless you're using the Herald... then you may not want to gain an Exhibit Item!).

2. Instead of being barred from a Neighborhood, players now have to contend with Patrol markers. They're placed on the board by some Encounter cards, and players have to sneak past a space with a Patrol marker or be arrested. Much more interesting than getting barred from a Neighborhood.

I'm glad I bought the revised edition. FWIW, I also own KiY and DH, so I guess I've been going in chronological order. I like KiY; the herald and its Blight tokens are a great mechanic. Either CotDP or KiY plays well with DH. I think Lurker is next for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur B. Gíslason
Iceland
Kóapvogur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougtempel wrote:
Like you, Mummi, I initially owned the first edition of CotDP. A few months later, the revised edition came out

After hemming and hawing, I decided to buy the revised edition, and I'm really glad I did. It's mostly the same, but some of the cards have been revised (for the better, IMO, but there are a few cards that some people prefer the old cards... not a problem, however, just keep the old copy in your deck). It also adds the Dark Pharaoh herald. Most importantly, it adds two basic mechanics that drastically improve the game:

1. It adds an Ancient Whispers token that moves around the board to different street locations. You can end your movement there, and have a "Whispers" Encounter in an attempt to gain an Exhibit Item. That fixes my major complaint with the original CotDP; you're much more likely to gain an Exhibit Item (well, unless you're using the Herald... then you may not want to gain an Exhibit Item!).

2. Instead of being barred from a Neighborhood, players now have to contend with Patrol markers. They're placed on the board by some Encounter cards, and players have to sneak past a space with a Patrol marker or be arrested. Much more interesting than getting barred from a Neighborhood.

I'm glad I bought the revised edition. FWIW, I also own KiY and DH, so I guess I've been going in chronological order. I like KiY; the herald and its Blight tokens are a great mechanic. Either CotDP or KiY plays well with DH. I think Lurker is next for me.

I think I will go with the king in yellow cause of the fact that the old CotDP doesn't add that much to the game mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doug,

Good advice ~ I've kept both versions together...it's exciting to have a few Investiagtors arrested, others barred from neighborhoods and the others skulking around trying to avoid the Patrols!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.