Incan Gold» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Should you buy this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Pihl
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(Many have written about gameplay and rules, so i will only talk about my personal experience in this review)

Short answer:
If you are able to play it with a total of 5 or more, and you're up for some plain fastpaced random fun, then by all means, YES!

Not so short answer:
I have had 3 plays with this game. A 4 and two 5 player games, and each time we had a blast - BUT, I think it is important to understand, that this is a LIGHT game, with ALOT of randomness.

I would defiently recommend this game, as either a game to be played with kids, OR when you are having the guys over, for a couple of beers, and just some good fun.

I have played this game with a different group each time, and as long as everyone was told that this a "just-for-fun"-game, everyone had a blast with it! We had a lot of cheering and giggeling, when a player got greedy, and went that LITTLE extra step into the dungeon, only to get eaten by a snake, and loose ALL of his collected treasure :)

You gain many of those short intense moment - play it safe, or risk it all? Will the other players abandon you and grab extra treasure, or do you venture further together? When you have abandoned your friends, EACH card turned over is VERY exciting, as you hope your buddy gets scared out of the dungeon, and ends up with no treasure at all :D

Pros:
-Simple, easy-to-teach, fun rules.
-QUICK playtime, almost NO downtime.
-Intense, funny moments.
-Plays PERFECTLY with a couple of beers.
-Lovely small diamonds to keep track of the score.

Cons:
-No more than 2 games in a night is recommended.. I would actually say, that 1 game per night is the limit for me. It is fun, but the intensity wears off after a couple of plays in a row.
-Can get a little repetitive.
-NOT for serious gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Why the recommendation if playing with 5 or more people only? Was your 4 player game not as fun as your 5 player game?

This game's on my buy list but I will likely only play it 2-4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

charlest wrote:
Why the recommendation if playing with 5 or more people only? Was your 4 player game not as fun as your 5 player game?

This game is meant for 3-8 players.I do not think it would work well with just 2 players.I have played this game alot with anywhere from 3-8 and it always has been fun but it does play a bit differently with the different number of players.With three players it is easier to be the last one alone in the cave as their is fewer players to drop out each cave and you can score some big rewards.With 8 players trying to be the only player to leave the cave when there is alot of gems on the path(the coward strategy) is usually a pretty good strategy as it will be harder to wait for everyone to drop out of the cave and leave you alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:

Two is a definite no...you would need at least 3. Four player games have been great, imho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more people the better. I've never played with 3 and I don't think I would. 4 is okay. 5 or more is perfect assessment in my opinion. (If you can get the full 8 it's a real hoot.)

Definitely not deep strategy at all. Play this game for the event that it is rather than a intense competition. The more everyone buys into the fun, the better this game gets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Daniels
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also good with kids...our 5 year old likes is a good bit...we did substitute a chit with 'In' on one side and 'Out' on the other for the cards for returning to camp or venturing forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian King
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
Hey You! Yes, you! - Check out my flag collection on my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played it with my wife and youngest son (8) and thought it worked pretty well.
We all enjoyed this game - it's quick and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't sure if I should buy it, then, when I tried to, they didn't have it.

So...I made it myself!

Just missing the jewel pieces...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had excellent success with this game, especially with non-gamers who are coming to see what gaming is all about, and with children. It's so simple and fun and quick.

While it is a bit random, the randomness affects everyone equally, so it's a lot about outplaying the other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.