Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...I gather is not actually much of a question at all in these parts. All the pro's/grogs/masters seem to sleeve their cards, from what I can see.

I've never done so, but it's starting to look like a good idea to me. I have three questions:

1) Is there a superior style (or brand) of card sleeve that you all recommend?

2) Does sleeving not make shuffling more difficult?

3) How much thicker is a national deck after sleeving the cards?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the UltraPro deck protectors. Price is reasonable and they are very sturdy. A bit more difficult to shuffle but you get used to it. The thickness increases by at least 50%. But fully sleeved, one CC nationality fits perfectly into an UltraPro deck box which are great for storage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
Du Quoin
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I've got 250+ plays and I don't sleeve my cards, cut my counters, or keep my CC stuff in a hermetically sealed fireproof safe either. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
FWIW, I've got 250+ plays and I don't sleeve my cards, cut my counters, or keep my CC stuff in a hermetically sealed fireproof safe either. laugh

We'll see who's laughing at 500 plays.

I have my cards in penny sleeves--not particularly awesome, but they do help a little. I also have the whole series of cards in a single cardboard deck box. I'm not sure I'd highly recommend either approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleeved!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
There are two kinds of ships: Submarines, and Targets.
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:

Sleeves or naked? Clipped or au naturel? To play or adore in shrinkwrap on the shelf?

Right there is 10% of our discussion topics. *sigh*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Hager
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am of the opinion that you should sleeve them if you want to be playing your game years from now. The cards are the heart of the game, and the most handled part. They will wear down, especially the ones that were not printed in 2008 (the Europe reprint and the Pacific cards). The 2008 cards are made of much sturdier stock than the 1st edition Europe and Med. cards. Even the new Resistance cards are of the thinner variety, which I did not like. But, some folks enjoy the thinner stock better. With those cards, I would definitely sleeve them, as they bend very easily. I use Mayday Premium sleeves, green label. They work great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCarron
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Mayday sleeves because they design the sleeves for the various specific card sizes that games have - you just have to get the correct type for the cards you have.

I used to use the Ultras but I found that having a 3-4mm sleeve border around the card caused the cards to not sit neatly / room for cards to be crooked in the sleeve and looks kind of sloppy. Plus the Maydays being thinner make it feel like there is nothing on the cards at all for handling and dealing and they still fit in to the Ultra Storage boxes (actually fit better really)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up sleeving my CC cards - not so much to protect them (I see the worn cards in my Up Front! game as a badge of honor) but because the Europe cards are thicker than the others, and I wanted to beef the thinner cards up a little because I thought they'd wear faster. Then I had to sleeve the Europe cards too because otherwise things were out of balance.

I don't have OCD. I swear.

I used Dragon Shield sleeves on mine because that's what the new FLGS in town carried. They're great.

And actually, the sleeves make shuffling those thicker Europe cards easier, believe it or not. The sealed edges slide between each other and you can just wiggle the deck halves together.

I also use plexi on the board and battle display, I keep all of the scenario cards in page protectors in a binder, and I'm about to get that killer 3mm trimmer mentioned in a wargames thread so I can re-trim my counters. But all that's part of the fun. Right? Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No need to sleeve them. Replacement decks are only $5. I have over 350 plays with my unsleeved German deck, and it is looking a mite abraded, but nothing which would "mark" one card against the other.

Sleeving makes them really hard to riffle-shuffle, and I do that all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John VanDenBerg
United States
Farmington
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
No need to sleeve them. Replacement decks are only $5. I have over 350 plays with my unsleeved German deck, and it is looking a mite abraded, but nothing which would "mark" one card against the other.

Sleeving makes them really hard to riffle-shuffle, and I do that all the time.

Except the Mediterranian replacements are currently out of stock with no scheduled reprint date.

So they may or may not be available if and when the time comes that you want to replace them.

My cards are sleeved in Almost-a-Pennies from Mayday and stored in Really Useful Boxes by nationality.

It's not like you shuffle these anywhere near the rate that you do any of the DBGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
mbmbmbmbmb
boddekker wrote:
And actually, the sleeves make shuffling those thicker Europe cards easier, believe it or not. The sealed edges slide between each other and you can just wiggle the deck halves together.

The sleeves do help shuffling. It's another perk on top of having the cards protected from wear and tear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
...it is looking a mite abraded,

There you go, making me look up words again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
Du Quoin
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:
chicklewis wrote:
...it is looking a mite abraded,

There you go, making me look up words again.

Duh. "twisted together in French fashion."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JTQuest said: "Except the Mediterranian replacements are currently out of stock with no scheduled reprint date."

Well, if you believe you will eventually have over 350 plays on the Italian, Brit, or French decks, you must play a LOT more than I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
JTQuest said: "Except the Mediterranian replacements are currently out of stock with no scheduled reprint date."

Well, if you believe you will eventually have over 350 plays on the Italian, Brit, or French decks, you must play a LOT more than I do.

Well, I can see 350+ plays for the Minor Ally deck, just trying to get *anything* to work laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sadly by the time I get 350 plays logged, humanity will probably have developed matter replication technology and making new decks won't be a problem in any case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John VanDenBerg
United States
Farmington
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:

OK, I admit 350 plays in my lifetime is unlikely. Maybe if you include my kids/grandkids as my CC heirloom collection is passed down from generation to generation.

Sleeving does reduce my anxiety level during play, allowing me to ignore my opponent manhandling their cards. I get to relax and figure out how I'm going to lose yet another scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
The maps will probably rip along their fold lines long before the cards wear out. In which case you'll be buying a new copy of the game replete with new cards.

If I play a game so much that I destroy it, then I think it's a game I love enough to spend another $60-70 replacing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
The maps will probably rip along their fold lines long before the cards wear out. In which case you'll be buying a new copy of the game replete with new cards.

If I play a game so much that I destroy it, then I think it's a game I love enough to spend another $60-70 replacing.

You can tape a map, but if you bend or deface one card you are screwed. Especially if the game ever goes out of print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Longtime Gamer
United States
Bellows Falls
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all my cards sleeved and keep my maps unfolded in a folder I made with poster boards. On top of that, I put plexiglass on the maps to keep them safe. As my opponents tend to aggressively shuffle, I require them to mix their cards in one of the box covers instead. It has proven to be acceptable to everyone and there have been no complaints. It takes far less to trash cards than 350 games (anyone play poker?). I like my cards to remain "unmarked" by rough handling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mcszarka wrote:
You can tape a map, but if you bend or deface one card you are screwed. Especially if the game ever goes out of print.

If I deface a card and I can't replace it, then I can sleeve the cards (using sleeves with opaque backs), hypothetical problem solved. And meanwhile I can enjoy the game without screwing with sleeved cards for most if not all of the game's lifetime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob DeSilva
United States
Levittown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One problem I find with the sleeves is that they make the cards slippery, which results in dropped cards and stacks falling over.

Bob D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Hager
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
muaddib7 wrote:
One problem I find with the sleeves is that they make the cards slippery, which results in dropped cards and stacks falling over.

Bob D.

That is only at first, shuffle them a few times and make sure you touch them all - the oils from your hands will bond to the sleeve and eliminate the slippery effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was glad I had sleeved my cards when my opponent accidentally urinated on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.