Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Oldster
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked at the rules, and they seem a bit daunting.

So, on a scale of Advanced Squad Leader = 10 and Clue = 1, where does this weigh in? I'm thinking around 7...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go for the same complexity of Here I Stand... Just the same.

Now the question is: What is the weight of HiS? devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HIS is not very complex but there are quite many rules and the rules affect in many different situation, so it make take a while to digest all the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
St Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leonithic wrote:

So, on a scale of Advanced Squad Leader = 10 and Clue = 1, where does this weigh in?

Hmm. I could see an argument for anywhere between 5 and 7, depending on the experience of the gamer and how they learn.

No one rules section is particularly difficult--just procedural. I think the complex part will be what's not in the rulebook...namely, how to structure diplomatic deals and how much to offer or demand for things from other players. Something we'll all have to learn from experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gringer
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd split the difference and call it a 6. Again Joel gets it right that no particular section is that difficult, it's just how the whole thing meshes together. And Virgin Queen adds several other elements that HIS lacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
GringerJD wrote:
I'd split the difference and call it a 6. Again Joel gets it right that no particular section is that difficult, it's just how the whole thing meshes together. And Virgin Queen adds several other elements that HIS lacks.

And some of those elements, especially marriages are going to make the diplomacy phase even more... interesting? Certainly increases the options of everyone.

Also more players being involved in the religious struggle (except the poor Ottos) and every player being involved in colonization and exploration, I feel like players need to learn nearly everything. No more just reading one specific piece of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
RoadHouse wrote:
HIS is not very complex but there are quite many rules and the rules affect in many different situation, so it make take a while to digest all the rules.

One problem, and I don't know if this was corrected in the second edition, is that the rules are simply not that well written, with, among other things, a lot of needless repetition. Also, the physical layout of the text itself is not well thought out, and hinders rapid glancing to locate a relevant paragraph.

Chad Jensen and Dean Essig should give workshops to all the other designers on "how to write rules". These two are pretty much the gold standard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
I take it you haven't tried to read the rules for For the People or Empire of the Sun, then. (And I'll take the HIS rules over Combat Commander every day.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, For the People - I never want to see the word Riverine again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Combat Commander: Europe has one of the clearest rulebooks ever written for a wargame.

Pretty much everyone (over 95 %) who posts regularly on the BGG wargame sub forum agrees with this, even those who don't like the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leonithic wrote:

So, on a scale of Advanced Squad Leader = 10 and Clue = 1, where does this weigh in? I'm thinking around 7...

Sorry, I gotta put this lower. ASL is a religion. I'd put Wiffe up there too.

If you've played a CDG then I'd go around a 5. The game rules seem to be easy to me. It's the strategy that's kicking my butt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Oldster
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iamspamus wrote:
I'd put Wiffe up there too.

Wiffe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leonithic wrote:
iamspamus wrote:

Wiffe?

War In Flames For Ewoks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Oldster
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Leonithic wrote:
iamspamus wrote:

Wiffe?

War In Flames For Ewoks

Or World in Flames, Final Edition.

I love those old school wargames where the map took up the floor of a school gymnasium. Loved watching other people play them, that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Lundin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, would it be possible to teach this game to a semi-casual game group or does everyone need to read the rules beforehand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it's already a (very) long game, so adding in a rules explanation would be a no-no. If people are prepared to commit to at least a 6 hour game, they should be able to read the rules beforehand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here I Stand was good since most of players only needed to know one nation's only special rules and the basic rules. Habsburg player needs to know basically all to rules and a more experinenced player should play the Habsburgs.

Could anybody comment that side of VQ? Is it like HiS in the way that you don't need to that much about every nations special things?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say the pretty much everyone needs to know a bit about everything; the Otts don't really need to know about the religious game, the HRE don't need to know so much about piracy are the only exceptions. Though I think the reduction of rule reading in Here I Stand for specific powers is generally overstated (though telling new players that might account for some early Papal and Prot wins ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
Uhtoff wrote:
... the Otts don't really need to know about the religious game, the HRE don't need to know so much about piracy are the only exceptions.

I've played VQ as England, France and HRE and still have no idea how to do religious conversions. Not needed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, but have you done well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
St Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhtoff wrote:
I'd say the pretty much everyone needs to know a bit about everything...

Diplomacy seems more intense and convoluted in this game, so knowing all the procedures will help you know which cards are valuable to which players, which in turn helps structure better deals (or keeps you from getting fleeced in one!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hejda
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
turbothy wrote:
I've played VQ as England, France and HRE and still have no idea how to do religious conversions. Not needed

I have only read the rules, but England and France can do religious conversions and overall are involved in the religious struggle.(As is HRE, which cannot influence it directly, though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Lundin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So no playing this with anything but hardcore-gamers then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hejda
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
oolaa wrote:
So no playing this with anything but hardcore-gamers then?

Well, I have persuaded a group of causal players to play HiS, but they were from our church, so the religious struggle served as a big motivation.
But its a catchy game as I am sure VQ will be, so I believe enyone can be persuaded to play it. Just take enough time to explain it and make sure everyone has read the rules before at least once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.