$10.00
Felix Wolfsteller
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi

Last year I searched for literature about boardgame design and found few that matched my expectations. But I enjoyed reading the Designer Diaries here on the Geek (http://boardgamegeek.com/blogcategory/19) - not because each and every article is brilliant and inspiring (both obviously subjective measures), but because of the huge variety.

But I do not really enjoy reading longer texts on a screen. I do sit in front of screens the whole day (programming Open Source Software), and do not own a eBook-reader. So, I would PAY for having these articles in a proper book form! When this desire and thoughts struck me, I immediately figured that this would become my next pet project.

I went to Essen and talked to a few authors and Eric and Aldie. Most people I spoke to were thinking that making this book is a good idea.

I did my homework and studied publishing options, prepared PDFs, contacted some more authors etc. I figured that I will not be able to invest the amount of money needed to produce a high quality book. So I consider launching a indiegogo campaign (cannot use kickstarter as a non-US citizen) - I am still open for help, participation and ideas though.

The most important questions that I have:
* Would you seriously buy a book "bigger than an IPad" with all the articles of 2011?
* What price would you be willing to pay?

Do you have any other ideas/feedback?

Thanks for any input, also feel free to contact me in private
--felix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't buy a hardback copy, but I'd be willing to pay as much as $8 or $9 for a softcover version of such a book. I, too, spend much of my workday in front of a computer, so taking a break to read an actual book is a welcome relief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you looking for contributing authors? Or just a means to publish?

On the publishing side have you looked into lulu? They handle Ebooks and print on demand, have all the publishing templates, etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Wolfsteller
Germany
flag msg tools
kurthl33t wrote:
I wouldn't buy a hardback copy, but I'd be willing to pay as much as $8 or $9 for a softcover version of such a book. I, too, spend much of my workday in front of a computer, so taking a break to read an actual book is a welcome relief.

Thanks for your input.
At the moment I think about making the book really big (34x24cm or 13.4x9.5in) and full color. Somehow I think "if already making it physical, make it really, really nice and ... kind-of ... epic".
Also, some articles are pretty graphics-heavy, which could really shine in a big format - but the full-color makes it expensive.

80sgamer wrote:
Are you looking for contributing authors? Or just a means to publish?

As stated I would take the existing Designer Diaries articles.

80sgamer wrote:

On the publishing side have you looked into lulu? They handle Ebooks and print on demand, have all the publishing templates, etc

Thanks about this pointer, but yes I, looked at lulu and about a dozen competitors.
With all digital printing/PoD-services I see a main issues: for example with lulu 350 pages in full color cost 75$ (US letter size, softcover). Besides, offset printing will give better quality. But it comes at a high entry-price - the first 500 copies are really expensive, from there on it gets cheaper fast. I am confident that a couple of hundred copies would sell, but I cannot pre-finance a whole print-run, let alone the work of storing and shipment from our flat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fwolfste wrote:
.... matched my expectations.

What are your expectations? I have found all types of good stuff on the web.

https://sites.google.com/site/bogadesignandprototype/links-2

Philip Migas
www.bogadap.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When Matt loads our designer diary, I hope it's inspiring. If two engineers from Detroit can cobble up something decent, everyone who's interested should go for it and finish their designs. I know I've benefitted a ton from designer interviews and diaries. It's cool to get into the heads of people you admire, Knizia, Moon, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Wolfsteller
Germany
flag msg tools
pmigas wrote:
fwolfste wrote:
.... matched my expectations.

What are your expectations? I have found all types of good stuff on the web.

https://sites.google.com/site/bogadesignandprototype/links-2

Philip Migas
www.bogadap.com

Thanks for sharing, Philip. I further suggest "Tabletop: Analog Game Design" by Greg Costikyan and Drew Davidson et al. 2011, ETC press.

I enjoy to explore multiple viewpoints, it appears that designers employ a multitude of different approaches (beyond the "classic" distinction "theme or mechanism first?").

The BOGA DAP meetings seem to be a great place to ask my original question: "Would you be interested in a Yearbook of the BGG designer diaries?".

And how about you, Phillip? Especially as it seems that you already own a couple of other, more "technical" books about these topics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fwolfste wrote:
The BOGA DAP meetings seem to be a great place to ask my original question: "Would you be interested in a Yearbook of the BGG designer diaries?".

And how about you, Phillip? Especially as it seems that you already own a couple of other, more "technical" books about these topics.

I will ask the question at the next BOGA DAP Meeting. I will record the conversation and email the discussion if you are interested. The meeting is not until March 16th. GM me your email if you want the recording.

I am not interested in the BGG diaries. I am on the geek at lest 90 minutes or more each day. If I wanted to read the design diaries, I would do it online. I personally don't find the diary's as a designer very useful. It is useful for a marketing perspective. But I am not out shopping for new games. I am trying to design games. I have a very distinctive design style. Knowing about how other people designed a single game does not help me. I have other things that are more useful with my time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Karstens
United States
Nevada
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Once you have contributors (designers) lined up and the cost quotes solid, run a Kickstarter/IndieGoGo/Ululu campaign and that will determine interest.

Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Wolfsteller
Germany
flag msg tools
3dragonfly wrote:

Once you have contributors (designers) lined up and the cost quotes solid, run a Kickstarter/IndieGoGo/Ululu campaign and that will determine interest.

Just a thought.

Yes I probably have to do that. But we have kind of chicken/egg problem here. For which price can I offer (as many books are SO MUCH CHEAPER than just a fre)? With fantasy numbers for the prices:
Would thousand people order for 70 fantasy dollars/book or would 250 people order for 180 fantasy dollars/book. I was trying to find pointers to these questions here in the forum but I see that this information is difficult to gather. I am not thinking about maximizing my gain, I try to find the sweet spot where everybody is happy - and the book can actually be printed - as I said I will not be able to buy 200 or so books myself; either its really crowd-funded or it fails.

How about you? Would you support a indiegogo campaign? Which price would you be willing to pay?

Btw, what is Ululu?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.