Bazaar» Forums » General

Subject: How does this compare to Pastiche? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sophie Morgan
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the look of this game, but in looking closer at it, I wonder how close it is to Pastiche, which I already own. It looks like the idea of collecting stones and using them to complete the cards is very close to the idea of collecting/mixing colors and using them to create the artwork in Pastiche.

Am I crazy, or are these pretty similar? Is there any reason to buy this if I have Pastiche? (Beyond the very pretty stones!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sheppard
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We have both of these games and have played each of them a few times. Here are my thoughts...

Bazaar: You're trading colors of stones based on a random market that is determined at the start of the game. There is no rhyme or reason to what color converts to any other color. Additionally, you may be able to trade multiple stones at a time. The market shows ~10 trade values (don't have it sitting in front of me to count exactly). Each value lets you trade some number of stones for other stones of different colors. You can also go either direction on the trade. So for example, if the market shows you can trade one red and one blue stone for three white stones and a yellow stone, you can also trade three white stones and a yellow stone for one red and one blue. You're limited on the number of stones you can hold (which is why you'd want to trade more for less), and you score more points when you trade matching stones for a card and have fewer leftover stones.

Pastiche: You only have a limited number of color options available (based on the tiles laid before you) and you can only get paint based on the colors you trade in as they relate to the standard color wheel (more or less). You aren't limited to the number of paint cards you can hold, and points for paintings completed aren't dependant on how many unused paint cards you have.

I think both games are different enough not to conflict with one another, but if you only get one, my vote would be for Pastiche. Bazaar is a much lighter game and didn't really offer too much challenge beyond a basic logic problem of making the best trades. Pastiche looks nicer and has more educational value (even if that's not really the point).

We have the international edition of Pastiche. My understanding is it has different paintings than the first version, and that they are offering to sell the original paintings to the international edition purchasers and vice-versa, so if you have extra money from not buying Bazaar, maybe look into upgrading your copy of Pastiche.

Hope that helps answer the question for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophie Morgan
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Your post pretty much jibed with what I was thinking. I'll stick with Pastiche. I really enjoy that game. Maybe if I happen on Bazaar on sale one day, I'll pick it up. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.