Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray.T
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone is different, but for me, I'm more of a miniatures gamer than a board gamer, so more miniatures the better.

That being said, I still very much enjoy a good board game. Doesn't matter if it has miniatures or not. Though, miniatures does seem to enhance the visual appeal. For example, a friend of mine painted up a full set of miniatures (basically sets of 2x8) for the board game Titan. We used the counters for the master board, but miniatures for the battle board. Visually, really nice, but I had no problems with using just the counters.

Another example, while my homemade Wiz War game is almost all counters on thicker boards, the wizard pieces are colored pawns. I don't count "pawns" as being gaming figures though. However, it does make it easier to move your wizard around the board (See below).

The pawns are not small. The reason the pawns look a bit small is because I increased the size of all the gaming components by 50%. The squares are 1-1/2" square instead of 1" square.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who had previously made his own copy and now owns the FFG version, buy the FFG version. The components are great, and I like some of the (optional) changes to the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
Fayetteville
Tennessee (TN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
Sokadr wrote:
Why would I want to go with FFG's version again?

They own that silly thing called "copyright". Paying to license the game from Tom Jolly, etc.

Obviously you know that and such silly things don't appear to affect your sense of entitlement, but there it is.

DAMN. Thank you.

Your legal options are to buy FFG's version, or track down a Chessex version second-hand.

I own both. Love both. The new version? Quite good. Get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"Another $10 for the counters and I'm done."

I should have said: "Another $10 for the counters/boards and I'm done."

"Thinking maybe a mix of single school decks like Warhammer Invasion and Lord of the Rings and small box expansions that will include a single additional board and mini/counter set for player 5 and another for player 6."

Ilya's Version allows for up to eight players. If FFG brings in the other 4 players in small box expansions at $15-$18 a pop...ouch. Hopefully their pricing model will be more customer-friendly.

"...instead of exclusively FFG's."

Perhaps FFG's version will be the only one which is exclusively FFG's. I don't pretend to understand copyright law in any way, shape, or form (well, maybe in a rudimentary form only). I fall much more in line with Twain on this (who, IMO, only mildly overstates the issue):

"Only one thing is impossible for God: To find any sense in any copyright law on the planet."

I will note though I never had any clue just how many frustrated copyright lawyers were out there until I began to frequent internet gaming sites. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That's not my name.
msg tools
mbmbmb
FFG can't release extra players in smallbox expansions.

The boards won't fit, and each player needs a board. Expect a large-box expansion if the player count is ever to go up.

Smallbox expansions would be viable for spells, monsters, magic sticks, that sort of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"FFG can't release extra players in smallbox expansions."

Well, just because it's a 'small box' expansion for FFG Wiz War doesn't mean it has to be in the same small box FFG has used for other series in the past.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
I need to get me one of those cool overtext things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not Sure wrote:

It's too bad...I'm having trouble finding extra players right now. I guess it's just too hard to fit them inside the box. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That's not my name.
msg tools
mbmbmb
rcmoore4 wrote:
Not Sure wrote:

It's too bad...I'm having trouble finding extra players right now. I guess it's just too hard to fit them inside the box. :shake:

Having trouble, you say? Could it be that they just don't want to endure trivial grammar corrections?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
I need to get me one of those cool overtext things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not Sure wrote:
rcmoore4 wrote:
Not Sure wrote:

It's too bad...I'm having trouble finding extra players right now. I guess it's just too hard to fit them inside the box. shake

Having trouble, you say? Could it be that they just don't want to endure trivial grammar corrections?

Well said sir!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McAuley

Olathe
Kansas
msg tools
Wow! I never expected such a large amount of feedback! Thanks for all the advice guys (though a couple people got off topic). I've decided that I'm going to grab the FFG edition. I already have all of Ilya's files so if I want to print up the old cards or make the old expansion parts I have the ability to. And thanks a lot to Freelance Police, you helped put into perspective the fact that my gaming group would probably appreciate the FFG edition more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Rockets
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm probably going to make an old copy. I don't know how the cost of 35$ even comes up. Of course, I have a printer, and xacto knife, and paper and all that stuff. Would it be around 35$ to make your own if you're printing at staples or another store???

I do love the aesthetics and overall package from FFG.

I say I'll print it, do my own copy - but have a feeling my wallet will shell out for the FFG copy as well! ha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.