Hide
7 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Outer World Encounter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Hatton
msg tools
Sister Mary just failed a speed check in The Great Hall of Celano. Any other investigator would have been lost on time and space, but she ended up at the church.

My question is, the end of the encounter says, "In either event, you automatically close the gate you entered through." Does she get the gate trophy? Do any monsters with that gate symbol return to the cup?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cathcart
United States
West Conshohocken
US
flag msg tools
Yes and yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been the topic of some debate, but I've said that as a rule of thumb, if it says "YOU" close it, then you will get it as a trophy. And, unless it forbids it, or doesn't specify that YOU close it, you can seal it if you have the clues.

Of course, others may disagree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group rules that it has to state that you close the gate, and your investigator has to be present at the gate to seal it. If the player makes the roll and returns to Arkham, they can spend the clues to seal. If they fail, and are lost in time and space (or in Sister Mary's case, at the Asylum/Hospital) they cannot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'Rocky' Robertson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Now a Sarf London boy!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with anoirtrou, if you're not present you can't seal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bland
United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd focus on the word automatically. If you automatically close the gate on exiting the Other World, it appears to me that you don't have to be present to manually close it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristiano Batista
Brazil
Porto Alegre
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manfromtherock wrote:
I agree with anoirtrou, if you're not present you can't seal

But you ARE present. To be present is to be in the vicinity of the gate, which you are, but at the "wrong" side, in this case.

To seal a gate is like to lock a door. The only difference here is that you lock it from the inside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.