Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Pierce
United States
salinas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been noticing something that's been bothering me about prettymuch every paint job for these figures.

Now judging from the official art and the design of the models themselves, and how anime character's eyes generally look, the defined eye area is supposed to define the iris of the eye, not the whole eye.

what I've been seeing is illustrated by the left image here, and sometimes it looks really good even despite itself (depending on the skill of the painter), but I cant shake that the image on the right is what it's supposed to look like, and the less-impressive paint jobs could have benefited from this.

Wondering what you guys think about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are right....and now I have to go repaint mine...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what its "supposed" to look like, but I like the image on the left far more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pierce
United States
salinas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:
I don't know what its "supposed" to look like, but I like the image on the left far more.

do you watch anime?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
sakket wrote:
Zaphod wrote:

do you watch anime?

- SDE minis are chibi, NOT anime (yes, there is a difference)

- "supposed to" is a very relative term in this case. I don't think they should look like the right any more than the left (especially if anime is your reference)

- I actually like the left a lot better too...it seems more crisp. The right one looks sloppier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the right better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pierce
United States
salinas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thetang22 wrote:
sakket wrote:
Zaphod wrote:

do you watch anime?

- SDE minis are chibi, NOT anime (yes, there is a difference)

- "supposed to" is a very relative term in this case. I don't think they should look like the right any more than the left (especially if anime is your reference)

- I actually like the left a lot better too...it seems more crisp. The right one looks sloppier.

I really should have put a disclaimer that of course anyone cant paint their figures however they want and by 'supposed' I meant the original intent of the model designer, but somehow I didn't expect to need to.

No way though, bro. They are entirely in super deformed anime-inspired style. Soda Pop Miniatures revolves around anime inspired figurines. No idea how you concluded otherwise or how it's even a topic of debate.

this is SD in western style;
http://www.warheadsthegame.com/warheads-medieval-miniatures

Personally I'm actually debating going with the left myself. Especially after seeing these ones;

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
Yeah, I know what chibi is...and I stand by my statement that chibi (super deformed) is different than traditional anime.

However, I guess my real problem is with this statement:

sakket wrote:
the defined eye area is supposed to define the iris of the eye, not the whole eye.

The size of the iris varies considerably across chibi, and anime in general. They are usually pretty big, but there is no set standard, as you suggest. Both the right and the left examples you provided are no more "correct" than the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pierce
United States
salinas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool your jets. I only suggested that the modeler had a specific iris size in mind when he/she defined it on the model. This isn't a debate, this is getting opinions on what looks better.

also it bothers me when otherwise great paintjobs have these jacked up eyes when they would have looked fine if they had just colored in the intended iris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
I agree with your most recent example....which is different than the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pierce
United States
salinas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thetang22 wrote:

(I'm a big fan of your forest tiles btw. Part of what inspired me to start making my own tiles.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
sakket wrote:
thetang22 wrote:

(I'm a big fan of your forest tiles btw. Part of what inspired me to start making my own tiles.)

Thank you. I'm actually taking them to a local gaming convention next weekend and demo'ing SDE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sakket wrote:
What I've been seeing is illustrated by the left image here, and sometimes it looks really good even despite itself (depending on the skill of the painter), but I cant shake that the image on the right is what it's supposed to look like, and the less-impressive paint jobs could have benefited from this.

Tastes my vary, but it seems quite obvious to me that the sculpt is intended to be painted as is shown on the right.

At least that's how they should be painted if you want to match other figures that come from Japan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pierce
United States
salinas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Here's an interesting 3rd option that I think looks pretty good. Just painting over the whole eye area and define your own iris. These really look best with larger irises. (obviously excluding the drawf/druid/etc that have their own thing going)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sakaluk
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

considering I have a fair collection of anime figures I agree very much with Sakket Pico, I've been wondering why I hadn't seen any painted examples with proper Nendoroid style eyes which is clearly the style the figures have been sculpted in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pierce
United States
salinas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob_Jedi wrote:

considering I have a fair collection of anime figures I agree very much with Sakket Pico, I've been wondering why I hadn't seen any painted examples with proper Nendoroid style eyes which is clearly the style the figures have been sculpted in.

I'm guessing it might be harder to actually do, but I'm going to at least attempt it, and find out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Topher
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...all of these look so good! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Katana
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nice clear pics...thanks Rob_Jedi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nam Nguyen
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Rob_Jedi,

The pictures you posted, those models seem to be WAY larger than the SDE models, the right picture on the first post would be almost impossible to paint on the SDE scale and if you did it would be impossible to see, here are mine (I did it like the left ones):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue KMFDM
msg tools
I think that the joy of getting a board game where you get to paint the miniatures, is painting them to your taste. Choosing the colors etc, really personalizing them.

That being said, I painted mine like the picture on the right. I just painted a strip of white beside the defined area. Except on the Rogue where she has make up defined as well so in that case I painted white in the indented area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.