Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi
I am starting a board game club at the elementary school where my wife teaches. Being ripped apart by werewolves or being a member of the mafia might not be acceptable to some of the staff or the parents at the school. Does anyone know of a kids friendly variant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Gaudreau
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know off-hand of any out there, but it couldn't be too hard to re-theme yourself, whip 'em up in Publisher (for example) and print 'em on card stock.

Bullies on the playground?
Rabbits and Carrots?
Trainers catching Pokemon?

I'm a bit ashamed that I can't think of any others right now, but I could see the Rabbits and Carrots version being quite fun.

Keep us posted on what you do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshx wrote:
Don't know off-hand of any out there, but it couldn't be too hard to re-theme yourself, whip 'em up in Publisher (for example) and print 'em on card stock.

Bullies on the playground?
Rabbits and Carrots?
Trainers catching Pokemon?

I'm a bit ashamed that I can't think of any others right now, but I could see the Rabbits and Carrots version being quite fun.

Keep us posted on what you do!

Thanks for the beginning of a brainstorm. Trying to find a reason for someone being eliminated that may not be offensive to some is harder than it seems - also having students accuse other students of doing bad things and lying to protect their identity may seem unsuitable to some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do exactly this.

I call it the agency.

You can be an Agent or a Spy. Spies capture people at night. Agents vote to kick people out during the day.

Some of the characters are

Double Agent (hunter)
Medical Officer (witch)
Chief (sheriff)
Partners (cupid)

I can't remember them all right now but you get the idea. I just printed them on paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For a junior high class of 6th graders, I did a Harry Potter vs. the Death Eaters version using a normal deck of playing cards. The Death Eaters "froze" someone every night, Harry and Ron could protect someone (not each other), Hermione could sleuth around to see if someone was a Death Eater and Dumbledore could use magic to find out if someone was a Death and automatically have them arrested.

Players that were voted as being a possible Death Eater showed who they were but did not die. If they are a Death Eater, they go to prison. Vary the number of Death Eaters (since nobody dies after voting) and also have someone (Dumbledore perhaps) give up their normal power for the night in order to "unfreeze" a player.

Edit: The problem I had with junior high kids, is that someone nearly always cheats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Secret Santa is a retheme of "fiver" werewolf with a Santa vs Walmart theme. Instead of elimination, targets get coal. It's at least a good starting place.

We played it with mixed family, and my daughter (age 6) was able to play. (But then again, she knows how to play werewolf too whistle .)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran a Scooby-Doo themed game on the boards here, and one of the players put a set of cards together here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/64132/scooby-doo-werew...

The 'wolves' are Spooks, and kidnap someone each night. Then the players arrest someone each day. Fred traps people. No death at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and another possibility is wolves in sheep's clothing. Villagers are sheep, seer is a sheepdog, wolves are, well, wolves.

To really water it down, have the wolves scare someone away each night and the herd throw someone out each day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dion Baxter
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a Junior School teacher, (teaching 10 to 11 year olds) my class love the 'over the top' descriptions of their grisly ends.

"Oh Callum, I never noticed what a nice nose you had... until they found it lying in a puddle of blood amidst the aftermath of a terrible battle!"

"Ah, Katie, well at least they found your body. In Little Hampton, the Shire, Monkton, the woods, the harbour..."

"Jack, sadly the werewolf is now picking his teeth with your fibula..."

edit- Spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Perry
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Any Game. Any Time. Anywhere. Except Bunco
mbmbmbmbmb
I created a kid friendly variation called "Pirates and Scallywags"

for elimination the accused "scallywag" has to "walk the plank" which is much nicer than being ripped to shreds. Also this makes it Pirate themed which is a total bonus! Maybe Ben Crenshaw's Pirate playing cards could work???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone on a different thread suggested a Campers vs Pranksters version.

Pranksters are the werewolves, and every night, they prank a camper and send that camper running home crying.

Campers try to figure out who the pranksters are during the day, and send one camper home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
Someone on a different thread suggested a Campers vs Pranksters version.

Pranksters are the werewolves, and every night, they prank a camper and send that camper running home crying.

Campers try to figure out who the pranksters are during the day, and send one camper home.

Great idea, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
El Diabolo wrote:
I created a kid friendly variation called "Pirates and Scallywags"

for elimination the accused "scallywag" has to "walk the plank" which is much nicer than being ripped to shreds. Also this makes it Pirate themed which is a total bonus! Maybe Ben Crenshaw's Pirate playing cards could work???

Nice idea, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Macdonald
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Ok, this is a shameless plug for our version of Werewolf, but the solid playing pieces we have in our set makes it a far more durable game than anything made from card.

We've had schools and scout camps in the UK buying them for this specific reason - and hopefully also 'cos it looks really nice. And it all comes in a neat & compact zipped bag. And is stupidly cheap for what you get (have I sold it to you yet?! modest)

Sorry - but the villagers in our game do die a horrible death, and we use their bones to make the Rune playing pieces... whistle

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111302527056?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.