Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, learning from Steve we shot the video for Fleet yesterday. We have about 3ish min of us talking about Fleet. Ben us working in an intro video - flash kinda thing - should run around 1min. We then shot some gameplay footage. Now, I watched all 12min of Steves video but I assume most people do not. How much gameplay footage should we include?

Assuming we start at 4min, how much more is too much?
Poll
how much longer?
keep it to 1-2 min
3-4 min
5+ or as long as needed to show what we think we need to
      24 answers
Poll created by riddlen

www.facebook.com/fleetboardgame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Barone
United States
Coventry
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know I want to see as much info as I can for anything I am backing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
600 feet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jmucchiello wrote:
600 feet.

robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Too cheeky? I don't know your game and I don't know what the important points are for selling your game to your audience. Ultimately that will tell you how long the video should be.

Going a step further, perhaps you shouldn't make one video. Make two. Some people (who would love your game if they hear about it) will not stop to watch a 20 minute in depth review of the game. Some people (who would love your game if they hear about it) will only buy after seeing an in depth review, maybe 20 minutes long, of the game. Video one should be long enough to sell the game. And failing that, it should be long enough to make watching the longer video desirable.

Trailers for video games usually come in multiple forms. The 30 second "commercial" pitch, although if you aren't going to advertise on TV, this one can be skipped. Then there's a 1-2 minute video that just shows off the game play. Then there's 5-10 minute video that takes you behind the scenes and shows you more than just the cool graphics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jmucchiello wrote:
600 feet.

Shot on 35mm cinema film, 600 feet equates to 400 seconds, or 6'40" of runtime. This is with each foot of film equalling sixteen frames, played at 24 frames a second.

16mm movie film is shot at 24 frames per second and there are 40 frames per foot. Therefore, a 600 foot 16mm movie would be 16 minutes and 40 seconds.

8mm film contains 264 pictures per meter, and is normally shot at 16 frames per second. Converting 600 feet to meters, that is 184.615 meters of film, at 16 264 frames per meter, and every 16 frames is 1 second of footage. 600 feet of video shot on 8mm would be 50.76 minutes.

70mm "Imax" movie film is considerably larger. at 12.8 frames per foot, played at 24 frames a second, that's more than two feet of film per second! A 600 foot long 70mm movie would only last 5.33 minutes (but with much higher quality than any of the other 3 formats.)

A T-90 VHS cassette has exactly 610 feet of video tape, and can last 90 min (SP) 180 min (LP) or 270 min (SLP) recording NTSC, or 126 minutes (SP) or 252 minutes (LP) in PAL. a 600 foot long VHS video would be just under that.

Betamax tapes had a linear play speed of 25mm/s, and a total running time of 120 minutes, making it 590 feet long. So a 600 foot long Betamax video would be slightly longer.

So there you go...If you want to make your movie 600 feet long, it needs to be somewhere between 5.33 minutes and 270 minutes.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rodgers
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I'm sure that's exactly what they needed.

Seriously, I think Joe's point is very good... you should have more than one video. I'm of the school of though that the Kickstarter video (i.e. the hosted one at the top) should make me care about you and your story.

A longer video lower on the page can give me a rundown on the actual play. I'm more likely to watch that after I've heard a great (short) story about how two engineers fell in love with the idea of making a game about commercial fishing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3-4 minutes often leaves me wanting more. I wouldn't constrain myself too much. I don't know anyone, who's seriously looking at a game, who would be bothered by a 5-8 minute presentation. Just keep it interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jmucchiello wrote:
Too cheeky? I don't know your game and I don't know what the important points are for selling your game to your audience. Ultimately that will tell you how long the video should be.

Going a step further, perhaps you shouldn't make one video. Make two. Some people (who would love your game if they hear about it) will not stop to watch a 20 minute in depth review of the game. Some people (who would love your game if they hear about it) will only buy after seeing an in depth review, maybe 20 minutes long, of the game. Video one should be long enough to sell the game. And failing that, it should be long enough to make watching the longer video desirable.

Trailers for video games usually come in multiple forms. The 30 second "commercial" pitch, although if you aren't going to advertise on TV, this one can be skipped. Then there's a 1-2 minute video that just shows off the game play. Then there's 5-10 minute video that takes you behind the scenes and shows you more than just the cool graphics.

not at all, i do not mind cheeky We have the intro, the "plea" then gameplay. MAtt and Joe, that is our we love our game you will to, please consider pledging. What we are trying to figure out is HOW MUCH gameplay to show. I dont know if its very exciting watching people play a game. Even a cool game (like Fleet ). I think we are going to one video route but we tell people that the upcoming is gameplay so click away or keep watching. A separte video is a good idea too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
jmucchiello wrote:

not at all, i do not mind cheeky We have the intro, the "plea" then gameplay. MAtt and Joe, that is our we love our game you will to, please consider pledging. What we are trying to figure out is HOW MUCH gameplay to show. I dont know if its very exciting watching people play a game. Even a cool game (like Fleet ). I think we are going to one video route but we tell people that the upcoming is gameplay so click away or keep watching. A separte video is a good idea too.

I would do two videos myself: A quick intro video with a little peek at gameplay, and then a much longer one that goes into the gameplay in depth.

And not a single thumb for my figuring out how long a 600 foot video is? That was a lot of work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! I thumbed the post with the calculations.

Length depends on the purpose. Even a short video should have a an overview (theme, major mechanics, # of players, play time, etc) and probably a typical game turn (glossing over exceptions or unusual situations).

A longer video may go more in depth (esp if the turns are different as the game progresses)

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
N9IWP wrote:
Hey! I thumbed the post with the calculations.

Length depends on the purpose. Even a short video should have a an overview (theme, major mechanics, # of players, play time, etc) and probably a typical game turn (glossing over exceptions or unusual situations).

A longer video may go more in depth (esp if the turns are different as the game progresses)

Brian

Sorry, didn't see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sims
Australia
Kangaroo Flat
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmucchiello wrote:

Going a step further, perhaps you shouldn't make one video. Make two.

Good idea. Teaser trailer and extended gameplay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great great input. I'm gonna separate out some content into a second shorter more of an overview video. That will leave designers talking at the camera and the live Gameplay footage in the main video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Im holding out for the movie. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I changed my vote to every possible answer.

I think you need to GRAB ME in the first two minutes. Essentially, I don't care if it is one long video or two, but you need to make sure I want to stick around for the second half.

Wilderness
A example of a bad catcher: http://www.indiegogo.com/Wilderness-A-Game-of-Survival

I really wanted to be interested in the game, but NOTHING (to do with the game) happened in the video. I get what they were thinking but it just didn't work for me.

Gunship: First Strike!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1291246114/gunship-first...

Decent, but I'm not even told what I am looking at until 2:30 in. Steve did a great job generating interest here on the geek, so many of us knew what we were looking at already, but as an outsider I'm not sure how long I would watch.

Empires of the Void
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/953146955/empires-of-the...

I like this video a lot. It ties in theme and game mechanisms.
In my opinion, what's missing is that "second half" where they show a physical copy and some sample play. Those first three minutes grabbed my interest, but I'm left hanging on how it all works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.