Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, we are going to get a 6 player group together for this tonight. But the 6 of us are not veterans of this type of game by any stretch of the imagination. I've poured over the instructions and primer videos and I feel fairly confident about the rules, little murkier on the combat portion but I think we'll be okay with 6 brains figuring it out.

My question is this, what do you all think is the most important thing to remember when playing this game for the first time and what are the biggest mistakes that you think first timers make?

Even though it is going to be 60 degrees here today, Winter is Coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andreas aune
Norway
flag msg tools
Hello friend, You are going to enjoy this game alot. The biggest mistakes me and my friends made in the first few games is underestimate the power of power-tokens.

One game we had clash of kings (bid on the influence tracks), where all players had 0 tokens, and me had 1 token. That means I got the iron throne for 1 token, and the sword and raven for free (because throne holder decides ties). Having all these tokens is tremendously powerful.

Same thing if you don't have power when wildlings come.. Enjoy have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Jorner
Sweden
Solna
flag msg tools
One thing to stress to new players is the importance of ships, both for transportation of armies and for support in combat. If you're dominated at sea, you're probably not winning the game.

In one game I shipped an army to a distant shore and one of the new players at the table commented that he wouldn't have come up with the idea of such a move.

So get ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't vote on the icon tracks every turn, just when an event card is turned over telling you to. We did that and nobody had any power tokens to vote or do anything else.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lordji Lordji
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mainly:
* special orders (stars) are very important, playing without any is extremely difficult
* ships are important, too bad for Lannister
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
salem .
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
* double check how many star orders you're allowed to play.
* re-read the bit about ports. twice. and then read the summary version of ports on a player aid in the 'files' section. It should start to make sense then.
* ask everyone else to double check they haven't played more star orders than they're allowed.
* if you get a 'no orders of type X may be played this turn' westeros card, get everyone to put their orders of that kind face up out in front of their screen so they don't accidentally play them.
* check your star orders one last time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy cow, that took all ten rounds and after holding the lead most of the night, we fell apart down the stretch. 8 hours of AGoT, we are ready for another once we figure out our mistakes, thanks for the info folks, keep the advice flowing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lordji Lordji
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Vacabck wrote:
Holy cow, that took all ten rounds and after holding the lead most of the night, we fell apart down the stretch. 8 hours of AGoT, we are ready for another once we figure out our mistakes, thanks for the info folks, keep the advice flowing!

So were our advices useful? What are your main observations after your first game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Banks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'd be interested to hear how your game went too

The main advise I would give is quite general, but just to not underestimate the importance of the first few turns - often those intial moves will make or break your game. Plan where you want to go and what you want to achieve early on. This is particularly true if you're playing as House Lannister: I recently played a game where Lannister was too bold taking Riverrun without support on turn 1. Greyjoy just attacked it (also on Turn 1), took Riverrun with ease (their House Cards are quite good you know..) and from then on Lannister was dead for most of the game..

Tbh all the above advise is good. Let us know if any of it helped and any rang true, or maybe didn't in your experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LorDjidane wrote:
Vacabck wrote:

So were our advices useful? What are your main observations after your first game?

Absolutely, the advice was great and we tried to heed most of it, but I think about halfway through everything became a bit muddled. I think that was mostly because we were all trying to come up with strategies on our own and being a first time playing things were moving pretty slowly. The game though was a lot of fun, and we all stepped away from the table thinking that we would want to give it a go again soon.

The star orders were really being overused I think, but we really didn't think about it except for twice and both times we had 2 people using too many starred orders, so I'll assume we all did once or twice. It was supposed to be a six person game but the sixth cancelled and I ended up being Tyrell, so I tried to advance through the nuetral zones but I couldn't move quick enough and the Baratheons came down using ships and stopped my forward progress.

The Greyjoys used the ships the best of all of us and it paid off towards the end, they pushed inland and were thwarted so they sailed north and took some Stark land, came up just a bit short though, mainly just due to the lack of supplies/troops.

There are a couple things that we aren't really sure about, somehow we ended up with a surplus of power tokens in our possession, we only bid on the tracks twice though. Not really sure how that happened, but we were running out of tokens in the pool.

The reconciling and mustering caused us problems, never sure when to do them. At the end of the round we adjust the supply tract, do you adjust your troops at that point or do you wait for a card to be flipped telling you to reconcile? What is the difference between reconciling and mustering? Is it only where you can put troops?

I was going to get the other players to send me their questions about the game and post them up here as soon as they send them my way as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
salem .
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only muster troops as long as the created armies stay within the supply limit as shown by your place on the supply track.

You only *adjust* supply limits when a westeros card comes up that says to do so. At all other times, your supply limit is just wherever it is on the track, regardless of how many barrel territories you own.

After you've adjusted the supply limits because of the westeros card, you must reconcile your armies. That is, if you lost some supply points and now have more armies than your supply track says you can have, you must remove some units until you're back within your limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ståle Mellesdal
Norway
Lillestrøm
Akershus
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just remember, none of the assets on your territories give you anything until they are triggered somehow.

Castles and strongholds only produce when:
a) either a mustering is triggered by the Westeros deck (either a Mustering card or a card that lets a player decide between several possible events and mustering is chosen). In this case all castles and strongholds may produce units.
b) you've played a consolidate power star order on units in the same area that turn (and the area hasn't been raided or lost). In this case only that specific castle/stronghold produces. Note also that this means you need one or more units in the area, and this would be their order for the turn. Remember that a garrison doesn't count as a unit.

The barrels are only counted to update your position on the supply track when supply is triggered by the Westeros deck. This means that several turns can pass without your supply situation changing. If at any point your armies exceed your allowed armies, you must remove units until this is no longer the case. This will typically be if either the supply event is triggered and you've lost barrels since it last happened, or if the only legal retreat from a battle takes you into an area where you already have units. Reconciling never adds units, it only removes any units that exceed your supply allowance.

Power tokens are gained either when a Westeros card calls for it, or when you play a consolidate power order or raid someone else's CP order. A star CP order does not give any power tokens if it is instead used to muster. There is at least one house card that can give power under certain circumstances. Remember that any power tokens you bid, whether for position on a track or during a wildling attack, are spent whether you win the bid or not. Remember also that an area must contain either a unit or a power token in order to be controlled. If your last unit leaves an area without leaving a power token behind, no one controls that area until a new unit enters it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.