Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eques Equestus
United Kingdom
Kidderminster
Worcester
flag msg tools
Example 1:

My opponent attacks with 2 Serra Angels. I have only an Archon of Justice.

I block one Angel with the Archon. The Archon dies as a result and chooses the remaining Angel as the permanent to send into exile (his ability being that when he dies he exiles target permanent).

Do I still get the 4 damage from the Angel before it is exiled?

Example 2:

Sengir Vampire gets +1+1 for every creature it kills per turn. He's a 4/4 creature. If he was blocked by 4 Bloodhunter Bats (1/1) when would he get his plus 1s for killing them (ie would he survive the experience?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PenumbraPenguin
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat damage happens all at the same time, in the absence of abilities like first strike. Thus, in your first example you do take 4, and in the second, the vampire dies at the same time as the bats. (The vampire's ability will still trigger, but it's too late to save it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Gaudreau
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eques wrote:
Example 1:

My opponent attacks with 2 Serra Angels. I have only an Archon of Justice.

I block one Angel with the Archon. The Archon dies as a result and chooses the remaining Angel as the permanent to send into exile (his ability being that when he dies he exiles target permanent).

Do I still get the 4 damage from the Angel before it is exiled?

Example 2:

Sengir Vampire gets +1+1 for every creature it kills per turn. He's a 4/4 creature. If he was blocked by 4 Bloodhunter Bats (1/1) when would he get his plus 1s for killing them (ie would he survive the experience?)

All combat damage happens concurrently (that is, happens at the same time).

In the first example, the soon-to be exiled angel would still hit you for four.

In the 2nd example, the bats and the vampire would both die. When something goes to the graveyard 'after combat' it's a separate trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly correct. To break it down further:
Combat damage happens (each creature deals damage.)
State-based actions resolve (each creature is dead because it has damage marked on it greater than or equal to its toughness.)
Triggers go on the stack (the Archon's for dying, the Vampire for the Bats going to the graveyard.
Both players pass priority.
The trigger(s) resolve, either exiling the Angel or doing nothing (because the Vampire no longer exists.)

If the Angel blocked by the Archon (but not the unblocked Angel) had first or double strike, then
The Archon is damaged by the Angel.
It dies.
Its ability triggers.
After priority is passed the trigger resolves and exiles the other Angel before normal combat damage is dealt, so you don't take damage.

If the Vampire had first strike, then
All four Bats are dealt damage.
They die.
The Vampire's ability triggers four times (note, this is four separate copies of the ability, not one giant +4/+4 ability.)
After priority is passed the triggers resolve and the Vampire becomes a 8/8 because of the 4 +1/+1 counters.

If there were fewer Bats (say 3), then
The Bats receive ! damage each, the Vampire receives 3.
The Bats die.
The Vampire's ability triggers 3 times.
After priority is passed the triggers resolve and the Vampire becomes a 7/7 with 3 damage marked on it because of the 4 +1/+1 counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.