Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffry Starke
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I brought the Core Set down to my friend's place for the week and we played everything - and loved it. Seriously, this is our new favorite game! So when I got back, I went and purchased all of the expansions (Khazad-Dum & the six adventure packs), and have experimented with them a little bit, but I do have a question: how do you organize all of your cards?

Should I put all of the cards with similar spheres of influence together, no matter what set they come from? Should I keep them all separate? I arrange the enemies by their icon (forest, orc, spiders, etc.) so that's not a big issue to me, but do I put all of the enemy cards together? Should I keep them separate to their own adventure pack?

I'm just looking for a good way to organize them so it won't take so long to organize and play, since that was the biggest issue that we had when playing - the set-up and everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Griffiths
United Kingdom
Wrexham
Wrexham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all the player cards together, grouped by sphere, regardless of where they came from. The encounter decks I keep ready to go - I have bought two extra core sets to get the encounter cards to make up the six Mirkwood quests, which are kept in their respective boxes (the core set quests I don't have set up like this, yet). I've bought a second Khazad-dum as well, to get all three of those quests permanently set up.

I have a lot of excess money to devote to this game... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffry Starke
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, yeah. I do as well. I really, really love this game. I abhor CCG/TCGs because you have to constnatly put in more and more money in the hopes that you'll get something good, but with this, I know what I'm getting, and I know that it's what everyone else is getting.

But that sounds good! I will definitely take your advice.

Thanks, man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, if you wanna go the Mark route and buy extra sets of everything, I'm not gonna stop you, lol. The only downside to that method is that it can get tricky storing that many cards. However, a simple alternative is to print up dividers for your cards. There are a bunch of different sets available in the Files section, and you can choose whichever ones you like! Here's my current setup:

So, whenever I want to play a scenario, I simply grab the encounter sets I need, and shuffle 'em up, easy! All the player cards are divided by sphere, and I've also got numbered dividers so I can store specific decks that I've built.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffry Starke
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you eventually run out of space, Tom? That's looking pretty full - but I really, really like the setup! I'm a little hesitant to go buy extra sets, 'cause I'm not going to play terribly often, but when I do play, I want things to be easy to set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
97% Fat Free
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
My storage solution - has plenty of room for expansions and setup is very quick as I've arranged it similarly to Tom's. Separating the encounter cards according to symbol is very handy as I recently discovered!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffstarke wrote:
Do you eventually run out of space, Tom? That's looking pretty full - but I really, really like the setup! I'm a little hesitant to go buy extra sets, 'cause I'm not going to play terribly often, but when I do play, I want things to be easy to set up.
He must have more than one set of each and/or be using very thick sleeves. I have the same dividers, and with just a single set of everything to date, all the cards (not sleeved) fit in one side of the box, with a little to spare.

I will probably eventually get around to making a set of dividers out of greyboard/chipboard, but at the moment, I, too am just using the original insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just flipped the insert, left side holds the Encounter deck cards from Core + Mirkwood with four Quests pre-prepared. Under the center console are the 6 APs of Mirkwood, holding leftover cards, right side has the five player decks, four in a row and then the fifth deck above them along with the KD Encounter cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Harris
United Kingdom
Sale
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A timely question - been thinking about this myself as I'm just getting into this game. What struck me was that the box is identical in size to Dominion... and there's a great system that Ken Chaney has devised that works really well for that game, using the original box to create a flexible storage solution.

Take a look at this thread at you'll see what I mean: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/598029/consolidate-your-...

The challenge with the LOTR LCG cards is that they are slightly wider, so when you're storing them on their side there is less vertical room for a divider to poke out at the top. That said, even with sleeved cards there's enough space there to put an effective solution in place.

I haven't had chance to prepare images for the stickers yet, but that will be the next step. As you can see from the dominion ones that Ken provides, the final solution can look great.

I can see that the system should accommodate the core set and cycles 1, 2 and hopefully 3, in the original box (assuming 6 AP's per cycle). Red lines show where the spheres are and I think I'll split those by hero/ally/attachment/event.

Hope that helps
Cheers
Nige

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
97% Fat Free
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Nigel - where do you store all the other game pieces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Harris
United Kingdom
Sale
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there reags, the threat trackers can (right now) live at the front of the box leaning towards the rear of the box. At the moment with the number of cards I've got it's not a major problem as there is a reasonable amount of space. Rulebook goes flat on top, counters are in small sealable bags and tend to get popped into a spare divider slot. Am wondering if a small plastic card box would be perfect to store the counters - this could then just slot in place.

I can see that as the box gets full (hopefully like the dominion one!) then I might need something to store the items which aren't cards. I wondered about the KD expansion box - but I'm some way off needing that. By the way your solution (and Tom's!) both look great, I've just gone down the very lazy route of trying a divider system that I've used with success before.

For the Dominion box (that's the base game plus around 5 expansion packs in 1 box! c1800 sleeved cards), the counters and tokens squeeze in at the front, with rules and playmats on top. There is no doubt that having a half decent way of organising your game makes it far more accessible to everyone - quicker to set up and quicker to put away. And it makes anyone with OCD happy too

The only challenge now is to create some stickers I can slap onto the dividers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Allen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fat Free, I love that setup. We're looking for a solution too, since the original box has become entirely too small.

Where did you find the case and foam?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.