Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've been messing with some images, and I think a play-by-forum is doable. I can probably get everything I need together to start a game sometime during the week, so all I need is players!

Please post here if you are interested. As with all FFG games, you must own the game in order to play. I will refer to cards and other components by name only.

Just FYI I have no experience with Dune (which I can see has had some PBF) and limited experience with Rex, so it might not go as smooth as I hope. You have been warned! If anyone is involved in the Dune PBF and has some tips I might use, let me know.

Some initial thoughts, which we may discuss and alter before we get started:

-Public actions are posted in the forum in bold to clearly distinguish them from plain old talking. Private actions such as selection of forces/leaders/strategy are geekmailed to me and I will resolve them accordingly. Whenever possible, submitting your orders to me privately in advance is recommended, in order to keep the game moving.

-I am lifting the restriction on writing down information, since I can't really stop it when it's all recorded in Geekmails and posts anyway.

-I AM still enforcing the rule against private communication. Players should use the honor system and not send one another game-related geekmails. (Might revise this if its unpopular)

-I will make some general assumptions about the way faction powers are used i.e. I will assume that Jol-Nar will always look at cards when able. I will let players know I'm making these assumptions, and they can let me know in advance if they don't want me automating such activities for them.

-I'll maintain a snapshot of the board but all other information which is publicly tracked will just be text-based posts.

Let me know if you are interested and maybe we can get this started soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely interested
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Potential players, let me know your thoughts on the betrayal variant. Yay or nay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex "το πόνυ" Katsoufis
Greece
Athens
Attiki
flag msg tools
Do you seriously believe that BGG ratings matter that much?
mbmbmbmbmb
Want!

and yay on the betrayal cards, I've played the game two times now both with betrayal cards and it's a great rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Paint it red; RED 'UNS GO FASTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested as well! But I'd have to vote no on betrayal cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Yasutake
United States
Bridgeport
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested. Greatly.

Would prefer the betrayal option
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Belyeu
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would very much like to join in, but my copy wont be in my possession till Wednesday...

So if you want to start before then, I will concede my spot to someone else.

EDIT: Yay for betrayal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote No on betrayal. I didn't like it much the time I tried it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. I'm hoping the Rex PBFs are as great as the Cosmic PBFs. I'll be joining them once I get me game and get a few plays under my belt. Can't wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Dune over forum a bunch (hosted about half of these games), though only once on BGG's boards, and in person a few times. Playing Rex with my copy tomorrow for the first time. I'd love to join if there's room.

Betrayal cards sound fun. I wouldn't mind playing without them if it bothers people though.

Regarding tips: My last game of Dune I used Google Docs for everything, including the map. It's not perfect, but you can use an image of the map as the background and create simple colored circles with numbers for tokens. This is good for two reasons: 1) You don't have to re-upload the map every time you redraw it, as it is a permanent link. 2) If you want, you can even let the players update it themselves, since you can make it publicly editable (and history of edits is viewable in case someone messes up). It's worth tinkering around with, anyway.

Since influence and cards in hand are public knowledge in Rex, you might want a place for that on the map. Say, a row with faction icons along the bottom in seating order, with a marker above current first player, and then a circle with influence number in it and a rectangle with number of cards.

I'm just tossing out ideas because I may host a game down the line myself. I'm sure you already have preferred methods for a lot of things. Regardless of if I play, thanks for running this.

Off topic: Someone played Cosmic by forum? And it was good? I need to check that out. It doesn't seem like a good game for forum play since there are so many opportunities to interrupt during a turn. Never tried it though. Intriguing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the PBFs of Cosmic here on BGG. They seem to work very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adamxpaul wrote:

Off topic: Someone played Cosmic by forum? And it was good? I need to check that out. It doesn't seem like a good game for forum play since there are so many opportunities to interrupt during a turn. Never tried it though. Intriguing.

I hosted the first (as far as I know) but my successors have definitely done a better job with graphics, etc.
I expect the same will hold true here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need a few days to get started... I actually had to system restore my laptop so I lost the graphics and spreadsheet that I had put together. That being said, starting after Wednesday should be no problem.

Looks like we've got 6 unless anyone has changed their mind. I have put these people in random order:
sigmazero13
beerme
adamxpaul
y-bot
piscatella
bungeeboy

You guys can start with faction selection in that order. No rush since I've got to get things together on my my end, and BeerMe doesn't have his copy yet (but I can send him the faction info if he doesn't have it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want betrayal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:

Looks like we've got 6 unless anyone has changed their mind. I have put these people in random order:
sigmazero13
beerme
adamxpaul
y-bot
piscatella
bungeeboy

Four of the players said they prefer betrayal, so we will use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will take the Jol-Nar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex "το πόνυ" Katsoufis
Greece
Athens
Attiki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
I will take the Jol-Nar.

yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! Last pick! (Which isn't really a pick at all )

The game will probably go on for sometime in the PBF format, but that's ok: I'm patient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Belyeu
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Piscatella wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
I will take the Jol-Nar.

yuk

Don't worry, if he hadn't taken them, I would have.

I'll take Barony of Letnev
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teenage Mutant Ninja Xxcha. I'll PM my prediction after getting my betrayal card, if that's cool. The faction sheet just says "during set-up," so I'm not sure if it's supposed to be at a specific step of set-up like in Dune (before traitors).

By the way, howdy Y-Bot. Think we played Dune (and even allied) together on BGG once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Yasutake
United States
Bridgeport
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take Frem...
I mean Sol.

Looks like you two get to fight over who has the cash faction and who has the cash faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex "το πόνυ" Katsoufis
Greece
Athens
Attiki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then I'll have the merchant kitties!

Pay up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Then I get stuck with the Lazax.

You should all be ASHAMED of yourselves for what you're doing to my beautiful city!

Tell ya what: if you change the course of your treachery and instead stand behind your true emperor, I will forgive your actions when this conflict is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, you've all been deal your setup. I'm waiting on some choices regarding traitor cards and deployment of Sol forces. Once that is in I can post the board and we can get started!
BeerMe said he won't have the game until Wednesday... so I can try to help him out with anything he needs to know tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Yasutake
United States
Bridgeport
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bungeeboy wrote:
You should all be ASHAMED of yourselves for what you're doing to my beautiful city!

Tell ya what: if you change the course of your treachery and instead stand behind your true emperor, I will forgive your actions when this conflict is over.
s

I dunno about the rest of the Solarian army, but I respect and back the real empire 100%. trust me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [19] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.