Popular Tags: [View All]
James Mckane
Australia
SYDNEY
N.S.W
flag msg tools
designer
mb
It Brings me great pleasure to announce our next Geek of the Week, (AmazingIntern) Eric Summerer.

Eric Summerer
United States
Hamden
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Will talk for food!
mbmbmbmbmb

Eric has got me through some pretty dull days at work with his discussions about a variety of Board Games on the Dice Tower (audio) podcast. Aside from his work on the Dice Tower podcast he has also produced several fantastic videos. He has a great sense of humour and is nothing short of a top bloke, I'd love nothing more than to play a game face to face with Eric one day in the future. Enjoy your week Eric! You are a very deserving recipient. I appreciate all the work that goes into your contributions, cheers.

AmazingIntern wrote:

First off, thank you, James, for the nomination. It’s a great honor to be asked by such a prolific member of the boardgame community.

Hi everybody! This is so exciting!

Me: My name is Eric, and I am a voice actor, stay-at-home dad, and retired curler. I grew up in Kalamazoo, MI, but I now live in South Central Connecticut with my wife, two sons (aged 4 years and 8 months), and naughty puggle. I’ve narrated close to three dozen audiobooks, appeared in a handful of video games, and produced a countless number of corporate instructional courses.

My biggest contribution to the hobby is probably as co-host and announcer for The Dice Tower, a job that I enjoy tremendously. Considering that my day-to-day work can get very dry sometimes (try narrating a 14-part series on Six Sigma, for example), the podcast provides a welcome creative audio outlet.

Outside of work and gaming, I enjoy novelty music, sci-fi and fantasy TV and Film, and the literary works of Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams. And other stuff.

How I got into The Hobby: Gaming in my family has always been an emphasis. As far back as I can remember, we were getting together at the table to play Monopoly, Risk, Life, and Clue. However, driven by the need to expand our horizons (or perhaps because they were sick of playing the classics), my parents started introducing us to some games outside the mass market sphere. Titles like Solarquest, Master Labyrinth, and Dark Tower come to mind (though my older cousin gets credit for that last one). Still, I wouldn’t call it an obsession until the post-college years.

A friend at Syracuse introduced me to the Pokemon TCG during my senior year, and I promptly picked up a couple starter decks and went to town. I started playing frequently with my soon-to-be-wife, which continued through graduation and the wedding, to the point where we’d play a round or two almost every night, often sitting on the floor because we did not yet own a couch. Our search for new cards brought us to various comic and hobby shops, which led to a number of Looney Labs purchases, and we started getting together with some college friends on a semi-regular basis to play these games. It was on one of these weekends that they introduced us to Settlers, Carcassonne, TransAmerica, and Kahuna, and from that point on the floodgates were open.

How I found Boardgamegeek: My wife found BGG. She was looking for more games like TransAmerica, found it in the database here, and signed up for an account. A game group organizer a few towns over happened to be looking for new players, and found Stefanie in the user database. One day, she told me that “this accountant in Milford invited me to his house to play games. I wasn’t sure if he was a crazy person or not, so I said I would come if you could come too.” While my wife has moved on to other interests (stamping to scrapbooking to knitting to weaving) and no longer games regularly, this Sunday night meeting at the crazy accountant’s house is still one of the highlights of my week.

While I appreciate BGG as a tool (logging and cataloguing games, checking rules, asking questions), I am constantly amazed by the strength of the community here. Everything from veterans taking new users under their wing, to getting avatars to users that want them, to Secret Santa, to the staggering generosity displayed in the Jack Vasel Memorial Fund auction (and others that came before it), this is a community that I’m proud to be a part of.

Two Truths and A Lie:

Poll
Which is a lie?
1.I have held the crystal balls used by David Bowie in Labyrinth
2.As an aspiring astronaut, I attended the U.S. Space Camp in Huntsville, AL three separate times.
3.The actor who played Balki Bartokomous in the Perfect Strangers TV show once said my name in public.
      394 answers
Poll created by jamesmckane

I look forward to answering your questions! One quick note: I’ll be at TotalCon through the 26th of February, so it may take me a day or two to get up to speed on the posts. Thanks!

Some Questions to get things started:

1AmazingIntern, why did you choose that to be your username?
2You started off playing games like Monopoly, Risk and Dark Tower with your family. How have their tastes changed over the years, what are their favourite games to play at the moment?
3If "Weird Al" Yankovic was a gamer, he would be best at what game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R
United Kingdom
Havant
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So long and thanks for all the fish
badge
42 - Life the Universe and Everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoopy congratulations, enjoy the week.

Regards

Gnome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
When I get sad I stop being sad and be awesome instead, true story.
mbmbmbmbmb
Big congrats love the dice tower video's and the narration!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobbit DM
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoopy congrats, have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Have a nice week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!!

I say #2 is the lie. You probably attended the camp, but only twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Bethany
Connecticut
flag msg tools
ConnCon 2015: March 13, 14, 15 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When are you having another 30th birthday party?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! As a happy subscriber to the Dicetower podcast, I'd know that voice anywhere! Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Johnson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Eric!
This is one of those GotW where I say "He hasn't been Geek of the Week yet?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Eric! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Barber
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
http://d6desperados.com
badge
Mooo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Eric! Enjoy your week sir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Woot. Great choice!

Eric, I have loved your recent "Gaming Horror Story" segments on the podcast. Also, very much a fan of the poem you read in episode 245. You are a true master of your craft
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Incao
United States
Upper Montclair
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Ask me about Kanban:Automotive Revolution
mbmbmbmbmb
Great choice. thumbsup

Congrats Eric.
Enjoy the week.

-Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Incao
United States
Doylestown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really Great choice! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric! Congratulations! It is nice to see you honored in this way, you deserve it!

And now the question MUST be asked -- how did it feel to hold David Bowie's balls?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Eric!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Eric!

Of all the games you have never played, which two games are you most wanting to try?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gnomish Mustard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SlikkRikk wrote:
Eric! Congratulations! It is nice to see you honored in this way, you deserve it!

And now the question MUST be asked -- how did it feel to hold David Bowie's balls?

I don't know what this is about, but man it made me laugh! Nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy mayfield
United States
Florence
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Eric. Enjoy your week and keep up the good work on the Dice Tower
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Foulke
United States
Bethel Park
PA
flag msg tools
Welcome to Friedey's!
badge
You want fries with that?
mbmbmbmbmb
It's about time! Glad to see your bust in the GOTW panoply.

My first question: What company do I need to work for in order to hear some Summerer Six Sigma Soliloquy?

Q2: Have you and Jeb ever attended the same con? Ever gamed with him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Foulke
United States
Bethel Park
PA
flag msg tools
Welcome to Friedey's!
badge
You want fries with that?
mbmbmbmbmb
Q3: That helmeted die at the top of the tower in your video introductions: What is he saying before he falls? It sounds like "Ding dong dang... whaaah!" but that doesn't make any sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
Obligitory Smart-Ass Comment Here
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Eric. As if you don't have enough to do already, now you have to answer questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmb
Hey Eric! What is the highest number of different Australian accents you've had to do for a single book series?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Eric! I hope you have a superb week. It's high time you were given this honor!

Here are my questions for you:
- What are the top 3 games you've never played that you would like to try if given the chance?
- Do you ever plan on going to the Boardgamegeek.CON convention?
- In your opinion, what is the best thing about being a father?
- What is the last game you played with your child? What's the last game you played with your wife?

Thanks for you all do to promote this hobby and for keeping such a consistent, cheerful attitude on The Dice Tower week in and week out, even though I'm sure there are days where it's harder than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMERI-THRASHER!
United States
Milford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Congratulations Eric!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.