Popular Tags: [View All]
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a definite list of victory conditions? (i.e. Capture the King, connection, majority, piece elimination, breakthrough etc?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me, sin? Pf! Nah! Chill
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he means a list of victory conditions specifically Abstract Games. I don't know if there's a list somewhere, but we can certainly compile one. Let's see now:

Checkmate - kill one "king" piece (Chess and most of its variants)
Multi-checkmate - kill a few specific "king" pieces (Chesskers, and a few very large Shogi variants)
Wipeout - eliminate all enemy pieces (Checkers)
Partial Wipeout - eliminate "enough" of the enemy pieces (Abalone)
Majority - have the most of your pieces or control the most territory on the board (Go, Othello)
Destination - get one of your pieces (perhaps a specific one) to a specific area of the board, usually on the far side from where you start (Quoridor, Troke, Chinese Checkers)
Connection - construct a path or chain of your pieces between two (or more) areas, usually the opposite sides of the board (Hex, Twixt, Y)
N-in-a-Row - get N of your pieces to form a straight line (Tic-Tac-Toe, Connect 4, Pente)
N-in-some-other-configuration
Get rid of your pieces - get rid of all your pieces, or at least more than your opponent (Blokus & family, Cathedral, Chaos)
Last move - be able to make the last legal play
Combination - more than one of these (Arimaa, Terrace)

There are probably others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Come to mind...

- Arrange all your pieces in a single group:

Feed the ducks
Volo

- Assymetrical:

Rebel Moon Defense: Reach the rebel moon/defend it
Sheep, Dogs and Wolves: eat sheep/escape from wolves (link/spread)

- Scoring:

Isaac
Topology
Sugar Gliders
Pilus

- Multiplicative scoring:

OMEGA (groups, connection)
RED (groups, connection)

- Stalemate:

Amazons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
In principle, any arbitrary number of victory conditions may exist. Some are more natural than others. Therein lies the challenge in developing abstract games-- making the equipment, mechanism and victory conditions complement one another. Since this involves balance of fine details, I personally am much more inclined to traditional abstracts because they have undergone a process of evolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Shipman
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be interested in the taxonomy used for Zillions of Games.

http://www.zillionsofgames.com/games/index.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
twixter wrote:
You might be interested in the taxonomy used for Zillions of Games.

http://www.zillionsofgames.com/games/index.html

Thx, I checked it out! Unfortunately I couldn't find their descriptions. I might use a little bit of theirs, but sometimes I think I'm willing to make a compendium of my own.

I'll try to list all I can think and post here to see if everyone agrees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think I'm willing to make a compendium of my own.

I'll try to list all I can think and post here to see if everyone agrees.

Good luck, and beware: victory conditions can often be described in multiple ways. Examples:

- any game which is strictly win/lose can be transformed into a last-to-move-wins game (just add a constraint that a player cannot move if X condition has been reached, where X is the old win condition).

- Amazons is a last-to-move-wins game which is better described as a territorial game.

- People don't usually believe me, but I maintain that race games can be transformed into connection games through the addition of an extra dimension representing time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mrraow wrote:
Good luck, and beware: victory conditions can often be described in multiple ways.

And also beware that many games have more than one victory condition (i.e. you win if X or Y or Z...)

E.g. Havannah (you win if you connect 3 sides, connect 2 corners, or enclose an area).

And many games technically have more than one victory condition, but people often think of the "main" victory condition and forget about the other possible conditions since they rarely occur:

E.g. "the" goal in Arimaa is to get a rabbit to the far side, but you also win if your opponent has no legal move or if you eliminate all your opponent's rabbits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
And don't forget the 'losing conditions'!

Yavalath

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Capture the King: win by capturing ot threatening a unique piece¹ or set of unique pieces². This piece/pieces can move by itself even if the movement is limited.

Chess¹
Shogi¹
Splut!¹
Stax¹
Taikyoku Shogi²
Hive¹

Capture the Flag: win by capturing a unique piece. The piece has no mobility by itself.

Stratego
Hunters and Haunts

Breakthrough/Race: win by reaching a certain area with one or more pieces, specific or not.

Dou Xou Qi
Knight Moves
Macadam
Chinese Checkers
Accasta
Santorini
Quoridor

Elimination: win by removing some¹ or all² of the opponents pieces

Abalone¹
Checkers²
Coerceo²
Saaguan¹
Entrapment²

Stalemate: win by forcing your opponent to not have any valid move on his/her turn.

GIPF
Amazons
Focus

Scoring: win by reaching a target score or by having the most points at the end of game. Differs from other similar winning conditions by use of multipliers, bonus scores¹, different point attributed to pieces² or places on the board³ or patterns4, etc.

Isaac
Topology
Red
Da Vinci’s Challenge4
Cabale³
Oshi²
Siesta¹

Pattern Building/Pattern recognition: win by reaching a specific pattern. Specific case worth mentioning: N-in-a-row¹

Six
Pente¹
Bambam Booboo
Pentago¹
Gomoku¹
Andantino

Stacking: win by being the first to achieve a certain number of stacks of a certain height¹ or by having the most pieces in stacks you control at the end of the game².

Attangle¹
Mixtour¹
Quantum¹
Abande²
Dvonn²

“Going out”/Getting rid of hand: win by getting rid of all your pieces or more than your opponent. Can appear in the form of having less points in hand than opponent.

Cathedral
Dominoes
Aero
Yn
Momentum
GemBlo

Majority: win by having the most something on the board, be it pieces¹, territory², groups³ etc.

Go²
Othello¹
Verto¹
Carnac³
ESP¹

Connection: win by completing a specific type of connection with your pieces. Might involve a path between two or more goals¹, completing a closed loop², getting all pieces together into a single connection group³ (Browne, Cameron. 2005) or having the most pieces connected at the end of game*.

Hex¹

Vasco²
Palago²
Volo³
Feed the Ducks³
Ketchup*

Combination: Several way of winnings

Arimaa: Breakthrough/Race + Stalemate + Capture the King (rabbits)
Plateau: Stacking + Elimination
Xiangqi: Capture the King + Stalemate
Tzaar: Stalemate + Special
Yavalath: Pattern building/Pattern recognition + Special

Special: Not in any of the above

Zértz

I need to explain some decisions I made when creating these categories:

I could not think in a category for Tzaar’s winning condition (that is: when the opponent’s players has no piece of any of the three types) so I created a special condition, so to assemble this anomaly.

Zèrtz also is in special category because the most similar which is elimination clearly says removing opponent’s pieces and in Zèrtz no one owns the pieces. Instead I though in Set Collection (win by collecting 4 white OR 5 grey OR 6 black OR 3 of each one) but decided to maintain in Special in order to not create a “White Elephant” condition (with only 1 example)

Yavalath is under Special because I couldn’t better describe the losing condition which gives victory to the other player. Maybe win by forcing the other player to execute a prohibited action?

Amazons: Although there’s clearly a territory element in Amazons, the rules states last-to-move wins. The purpose of counting territory is, in reality, to count the number of moves available to each, and given that the other player can’t alter/diminish this number, the enclosure of territory could be described as a “triggered endgame condition” (i.e. useless spent of time when the winner is already decided).

Go: I think there’s no doubt GO is about territory but the komi could be seem as a bonus score whilst putting it under scoring (the way I described it). Nevertheless, the komi is just a balance mechanism, not an achievimient by completing some tasks on board. Terra Nova is the best game with a territory element to be under scoring as it has multipliers for each type of territory (one, two or three landscapes).

Scoring: I thought about this and even if a game could qualify to be in another category if you win by having most points it would be scoring. E.g. Omega has a connection element, but it doesn't matter your largest group (connection) but only the score (i.e. most points) resulted of the multiplication. So you can win even if you don't have the largest group! The same goes to Red.

Please, I know this list isn’t by any means perfect, so give me your opinion and feedback. What do you think of the categories? Any doubts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
How do you intend to use this listing? That might better inform what shortcuts/groupings to make in categorizing. For example connection and pattern forming are very different game experiences for me so grouping them isn't useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jugular wrote:
How do you intend to use this listing? That might better inform what shortcuts/groupings to make in categorizing. For example connection and pattern forming are very different game experiences for me so grouping them isn't useful.

It's more like a way to group games on a higher series so to help identify similar games or that might provide a similar game experience. Also I find easily to explain how a game works/looks like if I have some keywords.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't already done so, you may find some useful ideas in this thread: Categorising abstracts again. I'm sure there are other attempts, but couldn't find them with a quick search.

Now, onto your list, have you considered a hierarchy:

Capture
Capture a royal piece
Capture the flag
Extinction (TZAAR, Extinction chess, etc.)
Elimination

Note that if there is no hidden information, capture the flag and race to a goal may be equivalent.

Quote:
Stalemate: win by forcing your opponent to not have any valid move on his/her turn.
GIPF

GIPF doesn't belong here - in the tournament game (highly recommended), you can also win by capturing your opponent's last GIPF piece.

Quote:
Scoring:

Again, any victory condition can be described as a scoring goal - score 1 point for the old victory condition, person with the most points wins. More focus here is probably a good idea.

Quote:
win by reaching a target score

This seems like a reasonable category (ignoring my quibble above)

Quote:
or by having the most points at the end of game

This seems too woolly. The conditions under which the game ends will drastically change the game.

Quote:
Stacking: win by being the first to achieve a certain number of stacks of a certain height¹ or by having the most pieces in stacks you control at the end of the game².

A subcategory of scoring?

Attangle¹
Mixtour¹
Quantum¹
Abande²
Dvonn²

Quote:
Majority: win by having the most something on the board, be it pieces¹, territory², groups³ etc.

Subcategory of scoring.

Quote:
Connection:

Subcategory of make a pattern?

Quote:
all pieces together into a single connection group³

Different subcategory of make a pattern?

Quote:
Combination:

I don't think this is a useful category - it's a result of using a single-valued system, and most games have multiple end game conditions. Chess, for instance, has stalemate, 50-move rule, 3-move repetition, insufficient material rules. GIPF (tournament version) would belong here as well; and I suspect if I read many of your examples carefully, the rules of many would have other win/loss/draw conditions.

I'd suggest either choosing a primary goal for each game (and wait for the screaming to start), or list some games in multiple categories.

Quote:

Wuss

Quote:
Zértz

Scoring, surely?

Quote:
I could not think in a category for Tzaar’s winning condition

Extinction; also see Extinction chess.

Quote:
Yavalath is under Special because I couldn’t better describe the losing condition which gives victory to the other player. Maybe win by forcing the other player to execute a prohibited action?

Still just pattern building - the fact that you win by forcing the opponent to make a pattern doesn't affect that.

Quote:
Amazons: Although there’s clearly a territory element in Amazons, the rules states last-to-move wins.

Disagree. From your stated goal:

Quote:
It's more like a way to group games on a higher series so to help identify similar games or that might provide a similar game experience. Also I find easily to explain how a game works/looks like if I have some keywords.

... from this viewpoint, I think it would be more useful to put Amazons and Go in the same category. Also, games shouldn't hop between categories based on the way someone has chosen to word the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
I think he means a list of victory conditions specifically Abstract Games. I don't know if there's a list somewhere, but we can certainly compile one. Let's see now:

Destination - get one of your pieces (perhaps a specific one) to a specific area of the board, usually on the far side from where you start (Quoridor, Troke, Chinese Checkers)

Multiple destinations (Case Blue)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Now, onto your list, have you considered a hierarchy:

Capture
Capture a royal piece
Capture the flag
Extinction (TZAAR, Extinction chess, etc.)
Elimination

Note that if there is no hidden information, capture the flag and race to a goal may be equivalent.

This is a nice idea. Putting all of them under Capture as subcategories could be easy and easily explained as well. I agree about the Capture the Flag = Race if not because of this game:

Hunters and Haunts: http://pt.scribd.com/doc/61899332/Hunters-and-Haunts-An-Anci...

which is a Capture the Flag by my definitions, yet perfect information.

Quote:
Quote:
GIPF

GIPF doesn't belong here - in the tournament game (highly recommended), you can also win by capturing your opponent's last GIPF piece. [

I was thinking in the base game only - sorry shake

Quote:
Quote:
Scoring:

Again, any victory condition can be described as a scoring goal - score 1 point for the old victory condition, person with the most points wins. More focus here is probably a good idea.

Scoring was easily the most difficult to come with. Your point is valid: I can see talking somethin about abalone like: when you reach 6 points (you gain 1 point per marble captured) you win the game. But what is the most important thing? the points per se, or the capture? If so, it has to be under Target Score or Capture > Elimination?

Go is about having the most points or having the most territory?

Quote:
win by reaching a target score

This seems like a reasonable category (ignoring my quibble above)

Quote:
Quote:
or by having the most points at the end of game

This seems too woolly. The conditions under which the game ends will drastically change the game.

I don't know, I couldn't describe better, but the idea is: you have the most points > you win lol.

Quote:
Quote:

A subcategory of scoring?

Dvonn and Abande perhaps, but I think Attangle, Mixtour and Quantum (Rise! maybe) gives enough reason to put them in another category. In those games the stack is the Object, not ways of winning points.

Quote:
Quote:

Subcategory of scoring.

I can see your point and it is valid. I can deal with it .

Quote:
Quote:
Connection:

Subcategory of make a pattern?

Quote:
all pieces together into a single connection group³

Different subcategory of make a pattern?

Those I do not agree. Using the definition by Cameron "In all cases, the size and shape of the connection do not matter; it is the fact of connection that counts."

Using this definition as a model, we could not put them under make a pattern because in those games there's a limited number of patterns which must be created without even the slightest change (i.e. the shape is extremely important). Take Bambam Booboo as an example: There are three victory patterns using 4 pieces which must be recreated as they are presented. N-in-a-row games says: a connection of pieces in a line, and others like N-in-a-square or Six which has 3 patterns with 6 pieces: triangle, line and circle.

Quote:
Quote:
Combination:

I don't think this is a useful category - it's a result of using a single-valued system, and most games have multiple end game conditions. Chess, for instance, has stalemate, 50-move rule, 3-move repetition, insufficient material rules. GIPF (tournament version) would belong here as well; and I suspect if I read many of your examples carefully, the rules of many would have other win/loss/draw conditions.

I'd suggest either choosing a primary goal for each game (and wait for the screaming to start), or list some games in multiple categories.

Choosing a primary goal was my first intention, but what about games with multiple victory conditions? Tzaar, Plateau, Zèrtz and others? Multiple categories for me is so... I don't like lol. You'd have to search all categories to see if a game is in more than 1 category.

Quote:
Quote:

Wuss

Quote:
Zértz

Scoring, surely?

Quote:
I could not think in a category for Tzaar’s winning condition

Extinction; also see Extinction chess.

Quote:

Still just pattern building - the fact that you win by forcing the opponent to make a pattern doesn't affect that.

Zèrtz in scoring? Maybe in capture but I don't where on the subcategories.

Thanks for the extintion, never heard of.

Good imput on Yavalath. You sold me the idea.

Quote:
Quote:
Amazons: Although there’s clearly a territory element in Amazons, the rules states last-to-move wins.

Disagree. From your stated goal:

Quote:

... from this viewpoint, I think it would be more useful to put Amazons and Go in the same category. Also, games shouldn't hop between categories based on the way someone has chosen to word the rules.

I stand corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me, sin? Pf! Nah! Chill
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
PSchulman wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good imput on Yavalath. You sold me the idea.

There's also a game called Four Sight that involves making a pattern that involves both your pieces and you opponent's pieces.

It's not a great game, but it's an interesting concept that might be explored further and used to make a really good game - where you have to create a pattern involving both players' pieces, and you don't really have any direct control over your opponent's pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedikt Rosenau
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PSchulman wrote:
Checkers²

Checkers is an blocking incapacitation game. You win by depriving the opponent of all legal moves. Elimination of his pieces is just a means to an end.

Then, eliminating just some of the pieces makes a game pretty close to a scoring game. Note that there are mixed elimination/blocking abstracts such as Morris games. Further, many Mancalas come across as scoring games, but rather have hybrid conditions.

You may wish to check out older threads about the classification of games. It is a difficult task.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Changes in the classification according to sugestions. Now there are categories and sub-categories.
Games are listed in only a category, even though could have more than one victory conditions.

Capture

Capture the King: win by capturing ot threatening a unique piece¹ or set of unique pieces². This piece/pieces can move by itself even if the movement is limited.

Chess¹
Shogi¹
Splut!¹
Stax¹
Taikyoku Shogi²
Hive¹

Capture the Flag: win by capturing a unique piece. The piece has no mobility by itself.

Stratego
Hunters and Haunts

Collection: Collect a target number of pieces which are available for both players on the board

Mentalis
Zèrtz

Extinction: win by depriving your opponent of one type of pieces (i.e. the player that does not have pieces of all types loses the game).

Extinction Chess
Tzaar

Abalone¹
Coerceo²
Saaguan¹
Entrapment²

Breakthrough/Race:

win by reaching a certain area with one or more pieces, specific or not.

Dou Shou Qi
Knight Moves
Macadam
Chinese Checkers
Accasta
Santorini
Quoridor

Stalemate:

win by forcing your opponent to not have any valid move on his/her turn.

Checkers
Focus

Scoring:

win by reaching a target score or by having the most points at the end of game.

Go²
Othello¹
Verto¹
Carnac³
ESP¹
Amazons
Abande¹
Dvonn¹

“Pure” Scoring: use of multipliers, bonus scores¹, different point attributed to pieces² or places on the board³ or patterns4, etc.

Isaac
Topology
Red
Da Vinci’s Challenge4
Cabale³
Siesta¹
Ponte del Diavolo

Target Scoring:

Oshi

Pattern Building/Pattern recognition:

win by reaching a specific pattern. Specific case worth mentioning: N-in-a-row¹

Six
Pente¹
Bambam Booboo
Pentago¹
Gomoku¹
Andantino

Stacking:

win by being the first to achieve a certain number of stacks of a certain height.

Attangle
Mixtour
Quantum
Rise

“Going out”/Getting rid of hand:

win by getting rid of all your pieces or more than your opponent. Can appear in the form of having less points in hand than opponent.

Cathedral
Dominoes
Aero
Yn
Momentum
GemBlo

Connection:

win by completing a specific type of connection with your pieces. Might involve a path between two or more goals¹, completing a closed loop², getting all pieces together into a single connection group³ (Browne, Cameron. 2005) or having the most pieces connected at the end of game4.

Hex¹

Vasco²
Palago²
Volo³
Feed the Ducks³
Ketchup4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Browne
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Pablo,

1. Stacking could be a sub-category of Pattern Building. In this case, the target pattern is a stack of a certain height or configuration.

2. "Capture the King", "Extinction" and "Elimination" seem odd names for these sub-categories. How about:
- "Capture Royal" for capturing unique pieces.
- "Deprivation" for depriving the opponent of a type of piece.
- "Capture Other" for capturing some or all of the other player's (non-unique) pieces.

3. This would free up the term "Elimination", which could then be used for the "Going Out/Getting Rid of Hand" category. This category could then have two sub-categories:
- "Clear Your Hand" for going out.
- "Clear The Board" for clearing the board. This is distinct from capture, as it doesn't matter who captures what, only who removes the last piece to empty the board. This is the opposite of completion.

Regards,
Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
camb wrote:
Hi Pablo,

1. Stacking could be a sub-category of Pattern Building. In this case, the target pattern is a stack of a certain height or configuration.

Hi cameron,

Nice imput. Done.

2. "Capture the King", "Extinction" and "Elimination" seem odd names for these sub-categories. How about:
- "Capture Royal" for capturing unique pieces.
- "Deprivation" for depriving the opponent of a type of piece.
- "Capture Other" for capturing some or all of the other player's (non-unique) pieces. [/q]

Thanks. My only concern would be with the Extinction, as it already has a game which uses this term so I don't know if already reached a "canon" status

camb wrote:
3. This would free up the term "Elimination", which could then be used for the "Going Out/Getting Rid of Hand" category. This category could then have two sub-categories:
- "Clear Your Hand" for going out.
- "Clear The Board" for clearing the board. This is distinct from capture, as it doesn't matter who captures what, only who removes the last piece to empty the board. This is the opposite of completion.

Regards,
Cameron

That was nice, but the name elimination to me suggests a aggressive behaviour towards the other player, maybe another word (like removal?). Can you give me some examples of games which uses the clear the board mechanic?

Also, in what category would Pylos qualify? I can see it under either Race (as a race to the top) or Stalemate (your opponnent has no possible action, so you go all the way to the top)

Other: The sub-category having the biggest connected group is right under connection? I too can see it as a scoring, maybe under majority.

Regards,

Pablo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Browne
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PSchulman wrote:

That was nice, but the name elimination to me suggests a aggressive behaviour towards the other player, maybe another word (like removal?). Can you give me some examples of games which uses the clear the board mechanic?

Really? I think in the context of abstract games that "elimination" would be forgiven as it has a reasonably benign mathematical meaning. It's the most accurate word I can think of for this category.

Or maybe "Clearance"?

Any Nim-like game would be an elimination game.

PSchulman wrote:

Also, in what category would Pylos qualify? I can see it under either Race (as a race to the top) or Stalemate (your opponnent has no possible action, so you go all the way to the top)

Pylos is a completion game as the primary goal is to complete the pyramid by placing the apex ball.

PSchulman wrote:

Other: The sub-category having the biggest connected group is right under connection? I too can see it as a scoring, maybe under majority.

That would go in the scoring category. Connection games are defined by the mere fact of connection; if the connection has to be a certain size (e.g. 5 pieces) or shape (e.g. a line) then it should be classified as something else.

Regards,
Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
camb wrote:
PSchulman wrote:

Really? I think in the context of abstract games that "elimination" would be forgiven as it has a reasonably benign mathematical meaning. It's the most accurate word I can think of for this category.

Agreed, it seems odd to me to worry about "elimination" sounding like it means aggressive behavior toward the other player.

Competition inside the game (i.e. "aggressive behavior" on the game board) occurs in all competitive games, regardless of the type of goal.

And competition/aggression inside the game does not imply being aggressive in real life.

Or more simply: if someone says they want to kill your king in chess or eliminate all your tzaars in TZAAR, that doesn't mean they're going to behave aggressively toward you in real life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Changes in the classification according to sugestions. Now there are categories and sub-categories.
Games are listed in only a category, even though could have more than one victory conditions.

Changes:

Second name to sub-category Extinction: Deprivation

Sub-category Elimination now is "Capture Other"

New Category called Elimination/Clearance with two sub-categories Clear hand and Clear Board

Stacking now is a sub-category of pattern building

New category called Completion

Needs: example for clear board

Discuss: names and everything as a whole? whistle

Capture

Royal Capture: win by capturing ot threatening a unique piece¹ or set of unique pieces². This piece/pieces can move by itself even if the movement is limited.

Chess¹
Shogi¹
Splut!¹
Stax¹
Taikyoku Shogi²
Hive¹

Stratego
Hunters and Haunts

Collection: Collect a target number of pieces which are available for both players on the board (shared pieces)

Mentalis
Zèrtz

Extinction/Deprivation: win by depriving your opponent of one type of pieces (i.e. the player that does not have pieces of all types loses the game).

Extinction Chess
Tzaar

Capture Other: win by removing some¹ or all² of the opponents pieces

Abalone¹
Coerceo²
Saaguan¹
Entrapment²

Breakthrough/Race:

win by reaching a certain area with one or more pieces, specific or not.

Dou Shou Qi
Knight Moves
Macadam
Chinese Checkers
Accasta
Santorini
Quoridor

Stalemate:

win by forcing your opponent to not have any valid move on his/her turn.

Checkers
Focus

Scoring:

win by reaching a target score or by having the most points at the end of game.

Majority: win by having the most something on the board, be it pieces¹, territory², groups³, connected pieces*.

Go²
Othello¹
Verto¹
Carnac³
ESP¹
Amazons
Abande¹
Dvonn¹
Ketchup*

“Pure” Scoring: use of multipliers, bonus scores¹, different point attributed to pieces² or places on the board³ or patterns4, etc.

Isaac
Topology
Red
Da Vinci’s Challenge4
Cabale³
Siesta¹
Ponte del Diavolo

Target Scoring:

Oshi

Pattern Building/Pattern recognition:

win by reaching a specific pattern.

Bambam Booboo
Andantino
Six

N-in-a-row:

Pente
Pentago
Gomoku

Stacking: win by being the first to achieve a certain number of stacks of a certain height.

Attangle
Mixtour
Quantum
Rise

Elimination/Clearance:

Clear hand: win by getting rid of all your pieces or more than your opponent. Can appear in the form of having less points in hand than opponent.

Cathedral
Dominoes
Aero
Yn
Momentum
GemBlo

Clear board: win by being the player to eliminate all remnant pieces on the board

Examples needed

Completion

win by being the player to fill all remaining places on the board

Pylos

Connection:

win by completing a specific type of connection with your pieces. Might involve a path between two or more goals¹, completing a closed loop², getting all pieces together into a single connection group³ (Browne, Cameron. 2005).
Hex¹

Vasco²
Palago²
Volo³
Feed the Ducks³
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.