Andrew Wright
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and three friends tackled this, and it was a great time.

In the rules and the play, I have three questions:

1. In the example of play in the playbook, there is mention of a tribute and wood points from Upper Egypt that I could not locate elsewhere in the playbook nor in the rules. Is there a location I missed?

2. Can an enemy leader with no units under it be termed an "army" for the purpose of limiting use of Ops points to change Political Control in a province?

3. If armies from two different major powers are capable of intercepting a third army during movement, how is that resolved. (We played it sequentially: The intercepting force from the power with the higher initiative attempted first, and the second intercepting force would then attempt it only after the first failed.)

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"... whack 'em, and whack 'em, and whack 'em!" cried the Toad in ecstasy, running round and round the room, and jumping over the chairs.
badge
The smell of that buttered toast simply talked to Toad, and with no uncertain voice; talked of warm kitchens, of breakfasts on bright frosty mornings, of cosy parlour firesides on winter evenings ... of the purring of contented cats...
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Questions after first play
I can answer #2 only, Andrew:

In the glossary, an Army is defined as a general and units. So, I'd say no.

And as a request: could you please edit your original post and change the subject heading? It will make it much easier for future rules seekers. Something like: "Upper Egypt Tribute, Lone enemy Leader, two nations intercepting?"

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wright
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response and suggestion, Stefan.

We struggled on the glossary because the army is defined as a general and "any number of units." Naturally, we had two viewpoints over whether that "any" could include zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
possumbait wrote:
Thanks for the response and suggestion, Stefan.

We struggled on the glossary because the army is defined as a general and "any number of units." Naturally, we had two viewpoints over whether that "any" could include zero.

No, in this case "any" means "at least one". But I see where the possible confusion lay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Quote:
Me and three friends tackled this, and it was a great time.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Quote:
1. In the example of play in the playbook, there is mention of a tribute and wood points from Upper Egypt that I could not locate elsewhere in the playbook nor in the rules. Is there a location I missed?

This information should be on the Egypt play mat. Julien and I had discussed whether to put it on the map or the play mat and we decided there would be less chance for confusion if it were on the play mat. Somehow, the communications got crossed up, and it never got done.

But yes, the Egyptian player gets ONE TP and ONE WP from Upper Egypt each turn. Upper Egypt is NOT on the map (it's the area below the map cutoff).

Quote:
2. Can an enemy leader with no units under it be termed an "army" for the purpose of limiting use of Ops points to change Political Control in a province?

No. An "army" must have a general and at least one combat unit.

Quote:
3. If armies from two different major powers are capable of intercepting a third army during movement, how is that resolved. (We played it sequentially: The intercepting force from the power with the higher initiative attempted first, and the second intercepting force would then attempt it only after the first failed.)

Exactly correct. Interestingly, as far as I know, this never happened in playtesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
What's going on down there?
badge
¡uʍop ǝpısd∩
mbmbmbmbmb
nrandall wrote:
Exactly correct. Interestingly, as far as I know, this never happened in playtesting.

It might have but when you play on-line you usually make your full move to speed things up and asks for intercepts afterwards when it's obvious where you are going. FtF you might take one step at a time to keep your opponents guessing and maybe draw an intercept attempt from both of them. Very unlikely though but I could see it happen when Egypt rushes an army up along the coast. Is he going for Mitanni or the Hittites?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.