The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Multiple attacks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
97% Fat Free
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Just wanted to confirm if a player has more than one ready character, can they both attack different enemies they're engaged with or is it strictly 1 attack per player per round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The active attacker can declare one attack against each enemy with which he is engaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate_001 wrote:
The active attacker can declare one attack against each enemy with which he is engaged.
Plus the attacks allowed by his own ranged characters.

Confirming for the OP that it is not just 1 attack per player per round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reags wrote:
Just wanted to confirm if a player has more than one ready character, can they both attack different enemies they're engaged with or is it strictly 1 attack per player per round?

Yes. Page 20 of the rules:

Quote:
1. Declare target of attack, and declare attackers.
A player does this by choosing 1 enemy with whom
he is currently engaged, and exhausting any number of
characters as attackers

After a player’s first attack has resolved, he can declare
another attack
against any eligible enemy target that he
has not yet attacked this round. Each player can declare
an attack (with any number of eligible attackers he
controls) against each enemy with which he is engaged
once each round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
97% Fat Free
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Great thanks fellas. So in the case of Ranged characters (eg. Legolas) - you're able to attack your engaged enemy and a second player's Legolas can assist by engaging your enemy as well in the same round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reags wrote:
Great thanks fellas. So in the case of Ranged characters (eg. Legolas) - you're able to attack your engaged enemy and a second player's Legolas can assist by engaging your enemy as well in the same round?

Yes you can attack an enemy you are engaged with and any other players that have un-exhausted ranged characters can join that same attack.

Joining together for an attack is very powerful because the target's shield only counts once - so you can typically do more damage that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
97% Fat Free
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Joining together for an attack is very powerful because the target's shield only counts once - so you can typically do more damage that way.

Whoa wait a sec...what do you mean the shield only counts once? Don't you need to each take turns attacking the target (say a troll for example) and each deal damage individually? Or from what I gather you're saying is both players can simultaneously declare an attack on the same troll at the same time so their damages combine in a single attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reags wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Whoa wait a sec...what do you mean the shield only counts once? Don't you need to each take turns attacking the target (say a troll for example) and each deal damage individually? Or from what I gather you're saying is both players can simultaneously declare an attack on the same troll at the same time so their damages combine in a single attack?

Their attack is simultaneous. Check out the example on Page 21 of the rule book. If I attack with a 3 and a 1, for example, my combined attack is 4. If the target's defense is 1, then the total damage to him is 3. We don't subtract his defense twice.

That is the power of having more than one character ready during the attack - the attack becomes much more efficient.

However, be careful with what you asking. Each player attacks alone but can use as many character as is legal. Another player only joins in if he has ranged. But if he does, his attack value is also combined and added to the single attack made by the current player.

Without Ranged though (or other specific instruction), two players can't attack the same enemy, even on their own separate turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
97% Fat Free
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Cheers mate just checked out p.21 - makes perfect sense now.

Geez this whole time I've been playing without the knowledge of combining attacks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reags wrote:
Cheers mate just checked out p.21 - makes perfect sense now.

Geez this whole time I've been playing without the knowledge of combining attacks!

After my first few plays, I had to go back and check to make sure this was legal too. It is easy to forget if you never have more than 1 character ready to attack (because of questing and defending). So when you do manage to get two ready at the same time, very happy moment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
reags wrote:

Just a side note: I'm not sure if you were citing direct experience or not, but 'a second player's Legolas' isn't allowed since Legolas is Unique (p.8 of the rule book). Only one Legolas can be on the table at any given time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RMGreen wrote:
reags wrote:

Just a side note: I'm not sure if you were citing direct experience or not, but 'a second player's Legolas' isn't allowed since Legolas is Unique (p.8 of the rule book). Only one Legolas can be on the table at any given time.

I had to reread that twice as well, but I don't think he meant a second Legolas. He never said he had a Legolas to begin with. He just said the 2nd Player's Legolas, which IS the first and only Legolas in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
97% Fat Free
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Yep right on I was referring to another player's Legolas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.