Cineplexity» Forums » Variants

Subject: The Director Variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Tritone

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We really like Cineplexity and break it out a couple times a year. We are all big movie buffs and find this game challenging and fun. But I agree with some of the comments here that the game can be "dull" at times, especially when a pair of cards shows up that no one can match with a movie title, requiring a 3rd card, or maybe more. The role of director is a pretty dull job anyway. Yeah, they can be the "judge", but that rarely happens in our group, where consensus usually rules.

Midway through our game last night we tried something a little different. When it's your turn to be Director, draw 2 cards, look at them both (keeping in mind the card already on the table), play one card face up as usual, and discard the other card to the box lid.

This helped pick up the pace of the game. We ended up with fewer "duds" because the Director could eliminate some obvious "stumpworthy" combinations.

Because this game is more about having fun than "winning", I think it benefits from tweaking anyhow. I have another idea I want to try but haven't tested it, but I'll mention it anyway. This gives the Director more to do, and raises the stakes for the card(s) s/he plays to the table.

Deal 5 cards to every player. When it's your turn as Director, play 1 card from your hand face up to the table as usual, or if you prefer, discard the card left behind from the previous turn and play 2 cards from your hand. Draw back to 5 cards. The turn is played as usual... if another player correctly picks a movie title, that player keeps one of the cards as their reward, and the next player becomes the Director. However, if no other player can think of a title, but the Director knows a title that matches the cards, the Director announces the title and, provided they can convince the others of a match, claims BOTH cards as a bonus for "stumping" the others.

This may add a very tiny amount of strategy (and hopefully fun!) to the game as you try to outwit the others on your turn as Director. You will have a hand of 5 cards to "mull over" between turns, and you might be able to come up with a real "stumper" if you have time to think about it between turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.