Subject: Thoughts on Dune vs. Rex after first play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Palmer
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
I played Rex with a five player group for the first time last night. I have played Dune probably 20-30 times. Here is are my first impressions:

For me the advantages of Dune were:
1) The setting (the mechanics seemed to fit a little better in the Dune universe)
2) The board (The "abstracted" Mecatol Rex board isn't my favorite from an aesthetic standpoint.
3) The lack of "worthless cards" actually made the bidding round a little less intriguing. I always liked the subgame of the Atredis trying to funnel the worthless cards to their enemies.

The advantages of Rex were:
1) Streamlined rules and components. (Everything is a little clearer and cleaner._
2) Mobility on the board - I would have preferred an actual city map, however it seemed a lot easier to be involved in the tactical action of the game. In Dune if you don't control Ornithopters, it is difficult to move around.
3) More money, more access to troops - At one time I had 19 of 20 dead units, no money, and no cards - but I was still able to come back and win an allied victory.
4) I like the alliance phase a lot better. It was much more evident who I needed to attempt to align with. Often in Dune I remember just making alliances with my neighbors - it was not always clear, who was in the best position. In Rex it seemed much easier to assess the strength of the board.
5) The new strategy cards added a lot of new tactical options and seemed less random then Dune.

Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Monson
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andy,

What was you play time with Rex? If you could only own one version which would you choose?

I'm trying to decide if I should purchase Rex. The map does bother me as I greatly prefer a more traditional style. Also I don't know anything about the TI universe.

I want to like Rex, but am just not sold on it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Paul
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
man lying down on job voluntarily
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Dune maybe 5-6 times, and played my first game of Rex today.

I agree that Rex is more streamlined (and more accessible to new players.)

What I miss about Dune is the "openness" (which is what makes it way less streamlined). For example, not being able to write anything down, not having component amounts be secret, having traitors be recycled back into the pool (so no one is ever truly safe), not being able to bribe any time you want, etc.

Rex is also missing many of the "optional" rules that Dune players have become accustomed to (no Feydakar for the Fremen, etc.)

I am also not a fan of the aesthetic of the board (like Arkham Horror with these sort of framed city paintings - why can't they just create a city that looks more realistic and just put clear frames and numbers by them?) However, I LIKE that there are less places, and therefore less "useless" places, so that there is generally more action. (And, they include sector numbers so the places are easier to find than in AH.)

Overall, I am torn. I think Rex did a lot to make the game more streamlined and finish in a reasonable time (although our game took 4 hours). However, we lost to Bene Gesserit (the turtle people) via their special victory. It was hard to think how to thwart this actually, in such a short game - do the Emperor and Freman never ally to make it harder for BG to predict a likely end game victory? Do you not ally with either of them and ally with everyone else except BG to thwart this? (Our current theory is that the game seems to favor a Freman or Emperor win, and therefore is the best prediction for the BG). This is NOT something we experienced with regular Dune.

All this with the understanding that it was our first game of Rex...but I know that I sure as Hell will be picking the Emperor (kitty people) to win if I play as the BG (turtle people) b/c it seems easier to go for the "default" win than to maneuver your own win in 8 rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "kitty people" are the Guild, not the Emperor. Emperor is the Lazax (the ones with the mechanized warrior tokens).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
crunk_posby wrote:

All this with the understanding that it was our first game of Rex...but I know that I sure as Hell will be picking the Emperor (kitty people) to win if I play as the BG (turtle people) b/c it seems easier to go for the "default" win than to maneuver your own win in 8 rounds.

In the games I've played, only once that I recall has the game gone to the full 8 rounds, and that was a game without the Xxcha.

It seems like the best default, but we found the game usually ended in round 5 or 6, and so the Xxcha would be better suited to not just pick the end - especially since the other players knew that they COULD pick the last round and so there was an extra effort made not to delay and try and win that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
sigmazero13 wrote:

In the games I've played, only once that I recall has the game gone to the full 8 rounds, and that was a game without the Xxcha.

It seems like the best default, but we found the game usually ended in round 5 or 6, and so the Xxcha would be better suited to not just pick the end - especially since the other players knew that they COULD pick the last round and so there was an extra effort made not to delay and try and win that way.

That's good to know, actually. I've been humming and hawing about using a house rule that the Xxcha cannot predict other special victories (the power is already stronger by the fact that there are fewer turns to choose from.) My worry being that 8 rounds might not be enough and so the game might often run the full length, thus making a round 8 prediction for Hacan/Sol a pretty solid choice. Hearing that most of your games didn't run the full length is good news. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I would hate the board for the same reasons, but I think most will be pleased when they see it in all its glory. If nothing else, I like that it's huge (and that it isn't split in half... oh Dune, you come from a different time). But also it's just high quality. City map would have been cool, but you still see the city zoomed out in the background, the locations are just close-ups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Paul
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
man lying down on job voluntarily
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
crunk_posby wrote:

We did have some discussion about this as well - working to make sure the game ended before round 8. Another aspect of my first session is that three of us had played Dune a at least a few times, while the other three players had never played Dune or Rex.

Oh, I also forgot to mention that I completely ruined our chances at a turn 7 victory - I was the Harkonen (sorry I can't remember the Rex names yet...) and I forgot to reveal a traitor in one of my ally's battles. He would have won, giving us five territories. Although, there were turtle people in one of the spaces, so I think he could have flipped when it came to his turn to battle. I think my odds of winning that battle were good, though.

So it looks like maybe my suggestion that the BG are too powerful is flawed - we should have won if not for my ridiculous oversight! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of turtle people and remembering Rex names... Is there any consensus on how to pronounce Xxcha? Zicha?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al G
Canada
Sherbrooke, QC
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Rex, having been unable to put my hands on a copy of Dune. I read the rules and it looks interesting. But I would have prefered a bit of spice...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rex board is fine. It meets the functionality need admirably (the attempts so far to create an area version have not looked good) and has the right aesthetic. It does NOT invoke Arkham Horror but rather has a "period feel" befitting the game topic.

And yes it is a different game than Dune. It's pretty obvious that when the Herbert estate acted out and would not license the setting and characters FFG either had to retheme or eat their investment in the mechanics licensing. Their retheme appears to be more extensive then some expected in that they dropped some Dune elements that did not properly fit and made adjustments too. Also remember the Dune designers were involved in this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamxpaul wrote:
Speaking of turtle people and remembering Rex names... Is there any consensus on how to pronounce Xxcha? Zicha?

I've always just pronounced it the lazy way: "Ex-cha"

I don't know if Christian Petersen at FFG has ever spoken out on what the "official" pronunciation is.

I actually did ask FFG about this once, and Corey responded that he also pronounces it "ex-cha", and while he said he's not sure if that's "official" or not, he indicated that's how others at FFG pronounce it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
The red tokens disappear on the red spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

That's good to know, actually. I've been humming and hawing about using a house rule that the Xxcha cannot predict other special victories (the power is already stronger by the fact that there are fewer turns to choose from.) My worry being that 8 rounds might not be enough and so the game might often run the full length, thus making a round 8 prediction for Hacan/Sol a pretty solid choice. Hearing that most of your games didn't run the full length is good news. =)

They already can't predict special victories - the special victories are only considered if no one has won by 'the end of round 8'. If no one has won by the end of round 8, then round 8 has ended. (in other words, it is no longer round 8 and the Xxcha prediction is no longer valid)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abredon wrote:
Stewi wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

They already can't predict special victories - the special victories are only considered if no one has won by 'the end of round 8'. If no one has won by the end of round 8, then round 8 has ended. (in other words, it is no longer round 8 and the Xxcha prediction is no longer valid)

The rules say the Xxcha win if the chosen faction wins with "any victory condition" (page 14; it's even in bold!). This means it does indeed include the Hacan and Sol victories. It never says the round ends; it just says if nobody else has won by then, Hacan/Sol wins (still at the "end", if one gets nit-picky )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.