Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Regarding big board expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I find the rules for adjusting the difficulty after including the big board expansions (ie Kingspot, Dunwich, Innsmouth) disappointing.

In my understanding, you only increase the number of open gates to trigger a game loss when you use 2 big board expansions.

Unless I am missing something, that seems silly.
Just by adding either dunwich or Innsmouth, you add 4-5 more spots for gates to open, which means fewer monster surges, and fewer failed gate openings when they try to open on a sealed gate.

Not only does each board expanion add new game mechanics to increase the difficulty, just having more potential spots for gates to open means much faster doom increases, and its much quicker for the max number of open gates to be reached. Is it even reasonable possible to seal 6 gates before one of the faster AOs like Yig wakes up, with one if not two big board expansions...

This also makes a lot of the investigators personal quests near impossible... Dont remember which investigator, but one needs 3 allies before around 6 doom counters, and others have similar low doom counter quest fails, like 3 gate trophies before 6 doom. With the extra boards, almost every turn a new gate (or two) opens, and you can fail these quests by turn 3-4, depending on your encounters.
When I use these characters, i typically just double the doom counter requirement, and its still very hard

what are other peoples thoughts? Am I missing a rule somewhere? anyone have any good optional variants?

Mateo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game is way too easy as it stands. Adding the expansion boards is supposed to crank up the difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mateooo wrote:
anyone have any good optional variants?

Sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Youngblood
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, that's a step up right there. Not for the faint of heart!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't find the herald to be much tougher in that it's still very easy for a diligent group of investigators to keep the Dunwich Horror from coming out at all.

If you want it tough, use only the Dunwich expansion and draw mythos cards from Dunwich expansion 2/3rds of the time. I've never beat it (0-4) that way. I've gotten overwhelmed by monsters in Dunwich. Drawing the Dunwich mythos cards half the time is pretty good. I've done that once and beat Dunwich. (1-0)

I choose my expansions by drawing cards I've made up and each card has a little twist to enhance the theme. In the order of theme producing:

1. Trouble in Dunwich. Draw mythos cards until the first gate of the game opens in Dunwich.

2. Rumors of the Dunwich Horror: Put the Dunwich Horror in play on Sentinal Hill. If one investigator goes there, the Dunwich horror goes a way, but until then its add another doom token rule is in play.

3. Meterorite lands in Dunwich: Place a Colour Out of Space on Gardener's Place to begin the game.

4. Putrid Odor: Begin the game with 1 Dunwich token in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Rex
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had several games where no gates opened in Dunwich. Even the games where Dunwich was relatively active all you really need is one investigator up there to deal with the gates. Regarding personal stories I can't say as we don't have Innsmouth yet but Dunwich by itselft doesn't make the game that much more difficult IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
with personal stories, it simply is more difficult with big board expansion, for example:
there are quite a few investigators that fail their personal missions if a certain terror level is reached or a certain number of doom counters are present (most probably around 6).

In the early part of the game, there is little if anything players can do to prevent doom counters from coming, as new gates open all over the place, about 1 a turn for the most part, until you start doubling up gates resulting in monster surges. With the big board expansions, it is simply much more likely for new gates to open as there are more unstable locations, and thus bring more doom counters. the only thing you can hope for is more surges, instead of new gates, or extremely fast SEALING of gates (closing gates without sealing actually just makes failing those missions faster).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.