Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somehow I don't remember if, when activatig a unit, its weapon is also automatically activated. If yes, is it considered a small fire group, ie base FP of unit + 1 FP for its weapon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hedrich
United States
Lehigh Acres
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you give a unit carrying a non-ordnance weapon a fire order, you can fire the weapon and the group individually, or as part of a fire group. Seperate, or together - it's all good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was my intuitive reasoning as well, but I couldn't find that in the rulebook.

I assume that by the time I finished typing this, Richard Pardoe will have chimed in with the exact bullet number from the rulebook

Edit: oh, apparently not. You ok, Richard? :surprise:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you go Ken [11.1].

Quote:
Whenever a unit is activated [O14.1], any Weapon it is carrying
is activated along with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mark!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...has anyone phoned 911 so the paramedics can attend to Richard Pardoe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
Du Quoin
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Let the poor guy wake up, people! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
Let the poor guy wake up, people! laugh

He sleeps??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve De George
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for this info. I was just trying to figure it out because adding something like a light MG(fp 3) to a squad that has a fp of 5 would just reduce it by a lot. But if you can activate a weapon a unit is carrying and the unit itself, then it does make it a lot more powerful and I need to replay my first test game. :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve De George
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
How does this work though when using a fire group? Because the manual states that you count the main unit + the # of other units involved for the FP. Can someone explain to me how it works and use the manual. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I seriously doubt I can do better than the manual.

O20.3.1 lets you know that 'Two or more activated units/Weapons (or "pieces")' are allowed to form fire groups.

Have another look at the 'Fire Attack example' on page 13 and let us know if there are any specific questions remaining, especially about step C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thraka wrote:
Because the manual states that you count the main unit + the # of other units involved for the FP.

Simple, the manual does not state that. The manual states in O20.3.1.2:

The total FP of a Fire Group is X + Y, where X is the FP of one firing piece and Y is the number of other firing pieces.

Piece is defined (glossary, page 2) as a Unit, Weapon, Radio or Fortification. In terms of a fire order, piece is also defined per Brent's rules citation above as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve De George
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Ahhhhhhhh I mis-read the original post. I read it as adding the FP of the weapon + the FP of the owner.

So for the purposes of activation a weapon is considered a seperate entity of the carrying unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thraka wrote:
a weapon is considered a separate entity of the carrying unit.

Correct. If I had activated a unit (and the weapon it was carrying), I could either take two shots (unit shot and then the weapon shot) or combine them into a fire group shot.

And (to be clear) if I opt for two shots (unit and weapon), they need not fire at the same target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve De George
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
And in the same scenario if I can only activate a single item (by not activating a ranked unit), I would have to choose the weapon OR the unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thraka wrote:
And in the same scenario if I can only activate a single item (by not activating a ranked unit), I would have to choose the weapon OR the unit.

Incorrect.

O14.1 states in part (my emphasis): Then, if that particular Order is one that “activates” something, he activates one player or friendly unit (as appropriate for the Order)

11.1 states in part: Whenever a unit is activated [O14.1], any Weapon it is carrying is activated along with it.

So in sum, one never directly activates a weapon. Instead, one chooses which unit (or units if using a leader) to activate. Any weapons carried by units which were activated are then automatically activated with the unit. So in the case of a single unit with an attached weapon, activating the unit also activates the weapon it is carrying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.