Popular Tags: [View All]
Christina Ng
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Auntie
badge
说了又不听,听了又不懂,不懂又不问,问了又不做,做了又做错,错了又不认,认了又不改,改了又不服,不服又不说,那你要我怎麽办?
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently, I came to know that our local universities were organising a boardgame event,"Gaming Lallapalooza" , on 25 February 2012 (Saturday). It includes competitions for four games, namely 7 Wonders, Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne and Dominion.

I was keen to take part in one of the competitions and pestered my Significant Other to join me.whistle We decided to sign up for the 7 Wonders competition thinking that as a newer game, we should encounter fewer competitors. devilHow this "strategy" backfired! Anyway, my Significant Other wasn't too keen about Ticket to Ride either, despite or probably because of beating me for 15 consecutive games.shake *Sigh*.

The day before the event, my Significant Other jokingly added that the minimum required rate of return is that both of us don’t end up as the bottom two, given that we had only a few multiple player games under our belt.ninjaMost of our 7 Wonder games are of the 2-player variant type. It dawned on me then that I may be subjected to days of "teasing" from my Significant Other if I did come in last. *Stress*.soblue I did attempt to try to remember the cards but in the end gave up since memorising was never my forte.zombie

On the event day, we arrived at the venue much earlier than expected, and even managed to squeeze in two games of Hive =p This is one game which we like to bring around with us since it is so portable and yet allows for various strategies.

The 7 Wonders competition took place over three rounds. During the first round, all the participants would play two games in groups of four. The scores for the two games will be aggregated and the top twelve players will proceed to the semi-final. In the semi-final, the twelve participants would once again play two games before the scores were added up. The top four players would then proceed to the final to fight for the top three spots.

My Significant Other and I started at different tables for the competition. At my table, I overheard discussion on strategies, such as which wonder is more suitable for which strategy, which wonder is preferred etc. I felt like a novice in front of these players! It seemed like the likelihood of finishing bottom has increased greatly!shake At the same time, I could hear my Significant Other calling out to me "Don’t get too low score, Auntie!" *Faint*gulp

Some of the participants at my table commented that they took part in 7 Wonders competition because it was a relatively new game compared to the rest, and had concluded that there may be lesser competitors around. Apparently we were all wrong as Ticket to Ride and 7 Wonders seemed to attract the most number of participants!

My first game ended with a score of 49 which I thought seemed pretty average and I was third in my table based on that score. In my second game, my score dropped to 43 and I finished last at my table. My Significant Other fared better than me in terms of the total score as he managed 47 and 54 in his two games. At that point, I was pretty sure I would be knocked out from the next round. cry

We had a lunch break before we would know the result for the twelve participants who could proceed to the next round. Over lunch, my Significant Other told me that I may still have a chance of entering the semi-final which I thought was his way of consoling me. Maybe he is feeling "guilty" for "making fun" of me earlier on. When the results were released, I found out I did indeed managed to squeeze into the top twelve spots, coming in at second from the bottom. surprise My Significant Other got into the semi-final at the fifth spot.

During the semi-final, I found myself at the same table with the top two scorers from the first round. How "fortunate" I was! I won’t go into the details of how things turned out for me in the end. Suffice it to say that I was being knocked out with scores of 45 and 39 for my two games. My Significant Other did not perform too well either in this semi final; he scored 43 and 47 for his two games.

One thing I observed from the four games played was that the scientific route was not very strong. Players who adopted this route usually did not end up with very high scores, usually in the forties range. This also did not seem to be a popular strategy among the participants in the 4-players game, with some avoiding it like plague.

When I play the 2-player variant with my Significant Other, I like to take the scientific route if the circumstances called for it. After these games, my opinion of the scientific route has changed. It may not be easy to collect sets of all three symbols for the scientific cards. The score earned per card was pretty low (10/3=3.33). Another observation from watching the top players in the final was that constructing military and civilian structures seemed like the way to go.

Overall, I had a fun time despite my semi-final loss. As the Chinese sometimes like to say (during gambling), 小输算赢, which means a small loss can be considered a win. I enjoyed the experience of meeting other gamers and learning from their strategies.

As a final note, I appreciate the efforts of the students in organising a gaming event for the public. Some of the students even had to reach the venue as early as 8a.m. in the morning to set up the tables and games for the participants. It was a well-organised eventthumbsup and I would definitely take part in its future editions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jeffery
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We haven't played the two player variant yet... is it better or worse than the more-than-two version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Ng
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Auntie
badge
说了又不听,听了又不懂,不懂又不问,问了又不做,做了又做错,错了又不认,认了又不改,改了又不服,不服又不说,那你要我怎麽办?
mbmbmbmbmb
Red_Sounding wrote:
We haven't played the two player variant yet... is it better or worse than the more-than-two version?

Personally, I prefer the 2 player variant. I can control what cards to throw to the "third player" and when to draw money from this "third player". I may be able to strategise such that the card I want will still be available when the stack is passed back to me. In multi-players game, you will never get to see some cards again after 1 round of passing around. ninja In addition, for 4 or more players play, one may never get the opportunity to build certain resources and if the neighbours also do not have the resources, the cards that can be played may be limited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Bravado
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Interesting that competitive players didn't favor scientific structures. We learned this game a few weeks ago as a family (and are loving it so far), and I have ended up building a lot of scientific structures — and losing to players who build up their military and civilian structures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.