Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking at my new copy of Empire Builder that has had a single play, and I noticed that there are indentations all over the board from where players had drawn track. You can only see them when looking at light reflected at an angle, but the board is covered in them.

I found this odd, since my 1984 copy that has had dozens of plays has no such problem. I'm curious how others' boards are looking after all this time.

I thought maybe it was just from pressing too hard or my china markers, but I took a brand new green crayon from the pack included with the game and drew a short line on my new copy of Eurorails, pressing relatively lightly. I wiped it off and saw a very obvious indentation on the board. I can imagine that using crayons would exacerbate the problem, since you have to press more firmly to get a decent line than with china markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the crayons that come with the game and have had no problems. I've even left track on the board when I put it away, come back later and wiped it off.

I always tell people to go over lines again rather than push harder before the game starts. I've also never heard of people using marker on the puzzle boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Eastern Pennsylvania Game Society
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
China markers are also called wax pencils, they used to be very common (they work great for writing on lamination or Plexiglass). There tough to find now, I think white boards have killed them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is rather odd. I played a four-player game of Eurorails with the same china markers and there were no indentations. I do one small test with a new crayon and it made an indent.

I don't think we have been pressing any harder than usual. I certainly have pressed rather hard over the years on my old version, testing out various crayons and such. The new boards must just be slightly softer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was the board on a hard surface or something with a little more give. That could make a difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used a felt tablecloth that has a significant amount of give when the marks were made. When playing Eurorails, the game was with a plain tablecloth with no give. Then, when I tested Eurorails with the crayons, it was on the felt surface.

I played Eurorails on the felt surface last night, but used dry erase crayons instead and I see no new marks. However, this type of crayon needs much less pressure to draw.

I've played my old versions of the games dozens of times on the felt with no marks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
ElCid91 wrote:
China markers are also called wax pencils, they used to be very common (they work great for writing on lamination or Plexiglass). There tough to find now, I think white boards have killed them.

Any decent art supply store will have all the colors you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
edosan wrote:
ElCid91 wrote:

I'm not allowed in decent stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
edosan wrote:
ElCid91 wrote:

I guess I've not been in any decent art supply stores

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the colors orange and purple have were discontinued by every USA manufacturer a few years ago. There is a company in Canada that still makes every color, and they are cheap, too! I contacted them and they sell china markers for about $5.50 per box of 12. Unfortunately, they charge $4 per box for shipping, so it works out to retail prices anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Also, the colors orange and purple have were discontinued by every USA manufacturer a few years ago. There is a company in Canada that still makes every color, and they are cheap, too! I contacted them and they sell china markers for about $5.50 per box of 12. Unfortunately, they charge $4 per box for shipping, so it works out to retail prices anyway.

Is that a multi-color box or single color?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Single color. $9.28 CAD per box. Still a really good price.

They don't offer online ordering, as their business is intended for industrial clients. I emailed them and they sent me an invoice and their bank information. I would transfer the funds to their account and return the filled out invoice via fax.

http://www.carmelindustries.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Carter
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play the game enough I would suggest purchasing a laminated board from Mayfair. You would use wet-erase markers on the board, and there are no seams, so every line is really clean. It dries in seconds, and will not come off unless you use a damp cloth. It's a little inconvenient when having to erase bridges when they collapse, but it's well worth dealing with when considering the ease of use.

If they are still available, the laminated boards were being offered for around 12 bucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lewandowski
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use a laminated board with Vis a Vis markers you should keep a supply of Q-tips and small source of water for precise erasing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my new copy of Nippon Rails and the new mayfair crayons that come with it are horrible. I'm gonna go pick up a pack of the crayola washables that were included in other rail games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this somewhere, but you should skip the washables and go straight for the Crayola Dry Erase crayons. They are, by far, the best marker I have found for these games. The box includes an eraser "mitt". Accept no substitute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
I posted this somewhere, but you should skip the washables and go straight for the Crayola Dry Erase crayons. They are, by far, the best marker I have found for these games. The box includes an eraser "mitt". Accept no substitute.

I'll give em a shot man thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles BAINTER
United States
Moraine
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A sheet of plexiglass and washable markers stop any indentations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wilkes
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's a reasonable price to pay for an appropriately-sized piece of plexiglass?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wilkes
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:

What have you done to compensate for there being no black and for the yellow being so light as to be difficult to see?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
battlehawk77 wrote:
dcorban wrote:

What have you done to compensate for there being no black and for the yellow being so light as to be difficult to see?

You may be looking at the "bright" version of these crayons. There are two types, regular and bright. The bright ones come with neon-like colours. The regular type come with the standard colours.

There is black, and the yellow is perfectly usable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.