United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
While I have been less active in Chit Chat lately, one of my favorite things each year is discussing the Oscars and getting everyone's opinions after the show. So I thought it might be fun this year to start a thread before the show begins so we can discuss the show as it happens.

For now, as we prepare for the big show, I thought we could start by talking about the nominees we've seen. Have you seen a lot of the nominees? Which ones will you be rooting for tonight? Any predictions?

Discuss...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nominees I've seen:

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close (Best Picture, and Best Supporting Actor Nominee)
The Help (Best Picture, Best Actress, and Best Supporting Actress [twice] Nominee)
Moneyball (Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Film Editing, Best Sound Mixing, and Best Adapted Screenplay Writing Nominee)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (Best Art Direction, Best Makeup, and Best Visual Effects Nominee)
The Muppets (Best Original Song Nominee)
Rio (Best Original Song Nominee)
Transformers: Dark of the Moon (Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, and Best Visual Effects Nominee)

What I'm hoping to see? I better see the Muppets win an Oscar for that song, especially considering that lame Rio song it is up against. I still think more of the Muppet songs should have been nominated. I will also be rooting against Transformers. I don't care how intense the sound or visual effects were, that steaming pile of crap deserves a fine for existing, not an award.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've only seen three of the movies that are nominated for anything this year - Harry Potter, Kung Fu Panda 2, and The Muppets. I feel so out of touch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Pender
United States
Kittanning
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asutbone wrote:
I think I've only seen three of the movies that are nominated for anything this year - Harry Potter, Kung Fu Panda 2, and The Muppets. I feel so out of touch.

Not really, As usual, the academy only selects nominees that they can sit and circlejerk over, not because they are movies people have seen.

I mean, a silent movie? Really? That's more of a gimmick than, say, a Michael Bay movie, but they can't move fast enough to vote for that piece of junk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Oscars. (RANT) I won't go see a movie because it won, and I won't refuse to see a movie because it lost. At best, a self-congatulatory orgy of the celebration of the cult of Me that includes most actors. At worst, a giant forum to push Hollywood's political agenda(s) on a mostly willing public. The only redeeming feature is that Billy Crystal is actually funny. Beyond that.........(Rant Over)

But seriously, outside of the industry itself, is there anybody's life that is really affected in any way by the outcome of these? Do they really matter? I think it's obvious that my opinion is absolutely not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't seen one nominee and haven't heard of most of them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Haven't seen one nominee and haven't heard of most of them

Sort of a case in point. Out of all the nominees - and I actually had to look them up - I've only seen one. That was Warhorse. I saw it before the nominations came out, and would have seen it anyway. Do I like the picture more now because it was nominated? Will I like it more if it actually wins? Of course not. I really liked the movie because I thought it was a great movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Pender
United States
Kittanning
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Until they start recognizing comedies, the entire thing is a farce. Comedy is (in my opinion) much harder to write than drama. In fact, I find most Oscar-winning dramas to be less about being a good film and more about cause-of-the-year sympathy votes.

The fact that they don't even bother nominating comedies, except for occasional token efforts, irks me to no end. With the possible exception of Forrest Gump, no comedy has ever even made it close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
dogzard wrote:
The Oscars. (RANT) I won't go see a movie because it won, and I won't refuse to see a movie because it lost. At best, a self-congatulatory orgy of the celebration of the cult of Me that includes most actors. At worst, a giant forum to push Hollywood's political agenda(s) on a mostly willing public. The only redeeming feature is that Billy Crystal is actually funny. Beyond that.........(Rant Over)

But seriously, outside of the industry itself, is there anybody's life that is really affected in any way by the outcome of these? Do they really matter? I think it's obvious that my opinion is absolutely not.

Same could be said about the Spiel des Jahres or the Golden Geekies. They mean something to the movie geeks, but not to the non-moviers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! My "let's talk Oscars" thread has already become "let's bash Oscars".

soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Coase wrote:
Until they start recognizing comedies, the entire thing is a farce. Comedy is (in my opinion) much harder to write than drama. In fact, I find most Oscar-winning dramas to be less about being a good film and more about cause-of-the-year sympathy votes.

The fact that they don't even bother nominating comedies, except for occasional token efforts, irks me to no end. With the possible exception of Forrest Gump, no comedy has ever even made it close.

I've always said they need to split and give separate awards for comedy and drama. Who can make an accurate comparison of Schindlers List and Ace Ventura?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen:

The Help: incredible acting in this movie, however I would not give it an award for screen adaptation as I think that they lost some of the message the book had. I would love to see Viola Davis win for best actress and Octavia should definitely get supporting.
Moneyball: I really enjoyed this and I thought that Jonah Hill did a better job than Brad Pitt.
Beginners: This movie had incredible acting as well. I did not always "get" some of the parts of this movie but thought that it was well written and well acted. Christopher Plummer should get the award for this, it was not easy roll and he pulled it off with panache and finess.
Bridesmaids: I saw this because of the hype. I did not really enjoy it, although there were some funny parts. I guess I am just not appreciative of movies that mock people's embarrassments.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2: Wow, I was moved by this, and truly believe that Ralph Fines should have gotten a nod somewhere for his acting in this. They really deserve art and makeup awards for these.
Monsieur Lazhar: Excellent film, well directed, great writing, very moving. You could really sympathize with the characters. I don't know if it will win but it does deserve the nod.
Transformers Dark of the Moon: I enjoyed this waaay more than one of the previous posters. Of course I quite like movies in the theaters with lots of special effects and explosions. No, the acting was not great but I didn't go for the people, I went to see Transformers transform and things get blown up. And, the sound was really well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
While I have been less active in Chit Chat lately, one of my favorite things each year is discussing the Oscars and getting everyone's opinions after the show. So I thought it might be fun this year to start a thread before the show begins so we can discuss the show as it happens.

For now, as we prepare for the big show, I thought we could start by talking about the nominees we've seen. Have you seen a lot of the nominees? Which ones will you be rooting for tonight? Any predictions?

Discuss...

I've seen:

Moneyball
Extemely Loud & Incredibly Close
Hugo 3D
The Artist
The Descendants
War Horse

I'm looking to see a Black and White / Silent Movie take home Best Picture, Best Director and Best Actor. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've missed Billy Crystal as the host. He is quite funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 for Hugo: Cinematography
2 for Hugo: Art Direction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the opening clip thing with Billy was quite funny. I wasn't as impressed with his song, though. It was hard to understand, and only had flashes of humor.

2 awards for Hugo already? Darn, I wanted to see that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Exit...pursued by a bear.
mb
I'm still way behind. I've only seen The Help, Money Ball, Tree of Life, Iron Lady, Ides of March, Rango, Tintin, Drive, Jane Eyre...And all of the special effects nominees.

And none of the ones that looked really interesting. Which is why this year I haven't done any picks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Exit...pursued by a bear.
mb
Thanks Jenn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Costume: The Artist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mb
I've only seen these:

Moneyball (Best Actor In a Supporting Role, Best Actor In a Leading Role, Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Film Editing, Best Sound Mixing)

Margin Call (Best Original Screenplay)

Rango (Best Animated Feature)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Best Art Direction, Best Makeup, Best Visual Effects)

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Best Visual Effects)

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore (Best Animated Short Film)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Makeup: Iron Lady
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, Sandra Bullock just spoke Chinese with a German accent - that was... interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Foreign Language: A Separation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
OK, Sandra Bullock just spoke Chinese with a German accent - that was... interesting.

Was it really Chinese? It was quite impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay I am back.... I had to go and take the miso marinated pork loin roast out of the oven and also feed the cat, she was starting to whine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.