Subject: 4 player game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having been a big fan of Dune, both the books, the movies and the game, but never having the opprotunity to buy the game, I was eagerly awaiting this re-theme. That it was created by FFG, one of my favorite Boardgame companies just made things better.

Fast forward to day of release and I was able to procure the game from a LFGS and a couple of friends and I sat down to play it this weekend.

Was a four player game, using the rules in the back of the rule book, no Hacan or Xxcha. I was the only one in the group who had played Dune before. After a quick rules explanation, we were ready to begin.

Opening influence phase led to a temporary ceasefire. The alliances which were formed were Sol + Lazax vs. Letnev + Jolnar. The first bidding phase saw cards split pretty evenly between. I, as the Jolnar, got my hands on a double agent.

In the opening round Letnev and Sol went towards influence and Jolnar went towards southeast stronghold which was empty of units. This was contested by the Lazax who sent an overwhelming force to intercept. I had just received a Lazax traitor as my double agent so I was hoping for the best. Turns out my dirty leader was the traitor and my units took a quick trip to graveyard. In another part of the city, the Letnev, combined with Jolnar technological superiority (alliance abilities) were decimating large swaths of Sol soldiers and were collecting large amount of influence, both in leader bounties and collection of influence from the ground.

The next turn saw relative peace as jockeying for influence and some probing attacks were waged while strategy cards were split between the Sol, Letnev and Lazax, with the Letnev getting the lion's share of weapons and defenses and continuing his extermination of the Sol people.

This seemed to come to a head when the Letnev mockingly sent one unit alone into the northwest stronghold held by 7 sol units while Jolnar and Lazax mucked around for influence. This lone unit negated the shield over the the northwest stronghold just as the bombardment came through it. Goodbye Sol units.

On the next turn The Jolnar saw continued struggles against the Lazax who had most of their forces on planet cleaning up any influence that fell behind the bombardment. The Lazax winning the better part of 3 battles against the Jolnar forces using overwhelming numbers. Letnev's influece was mostly spent on more and more cards, which was slowly limiting his on planet units. Thanks to a few recruitment cards, Letnev was able to keep a good supply of reserve units, he just had difficulty getting them on planet.

Turn 5 saw another temporary ceasefire and the Lazax saw their opprotunity. Having a good number of reserves, units on the board and one stronghold in hand, they broke off their treaty with the depleted Sol in the hopes of capturing the now empty northwest stronghold and attacking the central stronghold which was guarded by one Letnev unit. Letnev and Jolnar brought the fight as well to the northwest and southeast stronghold respectively.

The fight in the northwest happened first where a Lazax traitor betrayed the overwhelming imperial forces. The fight in the central was a close scrap with the Lazax leader fighting off a biological weapon and leading his troops to victory. When the dust cleared a lone Lazax unit stood. The battle in the southeast saw a bloodbath in which the Lazax leader was assinated and all the Jolnar units fought to the death. Cleaning out the stronghold of any prescence. Lazax's gamble had failed.

The following turn saw Letnev launch and invasion to recalim his central stronghold, a victory of which would give the alliance the victory. Sol meanwhile rode a Sol Offensive into the northwest stronghold with a sizeable force, looking to crush the lone Letnev unit there. Without his supply of spice from his Lazax backer though, and with his history of fights of the Letnev, it was not a sure thing in the least. Jolnar, for his part, used one of his few units remaining on the board to occupy the southeast stronghold.

During the movement phase, an interesting development had happened. The Sol had abandoned the northwest stronghold. The bombardment was 6 spaces away. There was a chance it could make it, and with Sol's actions, it seemed like it would. After a quick and brutal execution of the Lazax forces at the central stronghold, the Letnev proved that they knew the bombardment path better than the Sol (forgot to add, with the help of a timely intelligence report), as the bombardment stopped short of the stronghold, the alliance between Letnev and Jolnar solidified their grip on Mecatol City for a turn 6 victory. The ancient empire and upstart Sol were defeated.

The game was well-enjoyed by all. While there were a few tactical mistakes made and some few blunders, it ended up being rather back and forth. The Lazax gamble was the highlight of the game for me and the Lazax player, new to the game, did a good job of starving the Jolnar of resources through the entire game. That coupled with the Sol's frequent losses to the Letnev left both the Sol and Jolnar in dire straights most of the game. The game definately seemed to work well with four players and all the players were quite interested in seeing how it worked with 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the game myself but have no got it to table yet.
Any issues/interpretations come up during play that you had to rule on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:
Got the game myself but have no got it to table yet.
Any issues/interpretations come up during play that you had to rule on?

Not particularly. I thought the temporary ceasefire to start the game had special rules associated with it, but I couldn't find them on a quick look so just played it normally. I also forgot to destroy the south west stronghold at game start. When this looked like it was going to end up with a 1st easy win, I double checked it and we backtracked a little.

the players had no Dune experience, so there wasn't any cross game rule confusion. It went pretty smoothly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Boyd
United States
Chico
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nice write up, it sounds like a great night of gaming. My copy should arrive on Thursday. I can't wait to give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool. We just had a four-player game, too, with some crazy stuff happening. I think the rule to block one stronghold in 3-4p games is a good one. 3-4p Dune wasn't that good. I was definitely happy with Rex, and it sounds like you guys had the same experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Iveson
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the look of this game and from what you say it plays well with four which is the size of my game group. My only concern is play time. Anything more than 3 hours won't work for us. How long do you think the average 4 player game would take once familiar with the rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I've yet to have a game of Rex of any size go over 3 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bazvinda wrote:
I really like the look of this game and from what you say it plays well with four which is the size of my game group. My only concern is play time. Anything more than 3 hours won't work for us. How long do you think the average 4 player game would take once familiar with the rules?

I didn't track the time on this one. But even with rules explanation, it didn't seem to drag at all. But in all honesty, it could of gone a little over 3 hours and I'm not one who would notice so I may not be the best to comment on this. My friends didn't have their eyes glazing over though and it felt short than Eclipse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Iveson
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info guys. Will seriously look into getting this when it comes out in the uk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.