United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
Magic Judge
mbmbmbmbmb

BSG 253: Already Been Broughten
5-player Pegasus game (No Cylon Leader) to New Caprica

Welcome to the start of BSG 253: Already Been Broughten, a rematch of the hilariously ill-fated BSG 252: Escalation. This will be a play-by-forum game in the style established by ColtsFan76. Major thanks to him for getting this whole shebang started, and also to Orphius for creating the mod tools that will be used.

Players

Ryan West
Canada
Wasaga Beach
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cal Corum
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasper Hawk
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bridget Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Rules and Guidelines

Those of you who have played in a PBF game before can skim this section. If this is your first PBF game, I suggest reading it carefully.

1. In order to participate, you must own a copy of game and the expansion.

Part of the agreement that allows us to do this is that the full card text will not be posted, so you will need your copy of the game to reference things like what the crises actually do. In the event that at some point you are temporarily away from your cards and need the text to make a decision, send me a PM and I'll get you the relevant information.

2. I intend for this to be a fast-paced game. You are expected to subscribe to this thread and to check in at least twice per day, preferably around 12 hours apart.

I like to have my PBF games play very quickly, so there is a serious expectation that you will not hold the game up for a significant period of time when it is your turn to make an action. If this is not your style, that is fine, but I ask that you pass on participating. If it is your turn to act and it has been more than 12 hours, I will issue a reminder to you. Habitual offenders may be replaced. A great way to speed up the game is by issuing tons of COs. See the "Conditional Orders" section below.

3. All communication between players must occur in this thread ONLY.

To maintain the feel of a face-to-face game, players are forbidden from communicating with their fellow players about the game outside of this thread. Anything that needs to be communicated privately being me and a player will take place via GeekMail. When sending me a GeekMail, please include the game number, your character name, and a description in the subject line. (Example: "[BSG 253][Boomer] Leave that cylon attack crisis on top")

4. Follow typical play-by-forum conventions when posting.

This includes always making it clear what character you are speaking as by including your character name in bold or an appropriate banner at the top of each post. Fantastic banners created by DukeOfEarl are available here. Other pictures for adding flavor can be found in this compilation. Additionally, when posting, please use the typographic standards used in play-by-forum games. Specifically, be sure to leave regular discussion in a plain font, in-character flavor text in italics, and actions you wish to take in bold. Be especially conscious of the bolding your actions; I will not execute an action if it isn't bolded.

5. Do not edit your posts.

Please do not go back and edit posts if either (1) another post has already been made after yours; or (2) a significant amount of time has passed since the post. In either case, simply make a new post stating what you would have changed. This is to prevent confusion (both for me and your fellow players).

6. Respect the secrecy rules.

Battlestar Galactica is a much less interesting game if the secrecy rules are not closely followed. I suggest everyone take a look at the official "Secrecy Clarifications" document, the last page of the Official FAQ.

7. No spoilers.

Do not post any major spoilers about the television series (or associated films) that take place later than the time period of the current game in this thread. Since this is a Pegasus game, this means Season 4 and most of Season 3 is off-limits. Yes, it's been years since the show aired, but some people still haven't seen it.

Conditional Orders (COs)

* Conditional orders are a very important aspect of keeping a PBF game running as quickly and efficiently as possible. Because of this, I ask that you put in COs for pretty much anything you can think of. All COs should be sent to me via GeekMail, and be clearly labeled by having "CO" (and a description of what the CO is for) in the subject line.

* Do not post public COs under any circumstances; this includes posting bold text when it is not your turn to act. Additionally, for this game I will not be allowing public "TANK" COs. You can, of course, submit a normal CO to pass on playing cards into the check, which will have a similar effect.

* Under many circumstances, I will not wait for interrupts before executing actions. The following is a (non-comprehensive) list of examples of things that I will not ask for interrupts for (and thus will not have interrupts played on them unless you put in a CO):

Declare Emergency
Strategic Planning on Launch Scout, unless there is only one raptor remaining.
Strategic Planning on attacks against raiders, or attacks by cylon ships.
Evasive Maneuvers
Calculations (under the same conditions as Strategic Planning)

* I will assume that you have a standing CO to pass on any interrupt that you do not hold in your hand. Players are encouraged to put in COs to pass on interrupts that they are holding but do not intend to play. Any COs to pass on interrupts will be resolved once everyone else has already passed, to minimize the amount of information revealed by these COs.

* If you have an interrupt-style character ability, this onus is on you to put in a CO to use your ability when appropriate. For example, I will not ask if Starbuck wants to use Secret Destiny on every crisis card that is played, but she may put in a CO to pause to let her decide when a crisis card meets certain criteria.

* Be very clear when writing your COs. If I feel it is ambiguous, I will let you know and will not execute the CO, which could hold up the game. Feel free to make them as complicated as you like, as long as they are understandable.

House Rules

I find that some house rules are necessary to prevent certain elements of the game from being too broken:

1. Cain's Blind Jump ability will always bury the top card of the Destination deck before selecting a destination.

2. Kat's Hotshot once-per-turn ability may not be used when activating the FTL Control location.

Turn Summaries

A GeekList showing the turn summaries for this game is available here: BSG 253: Already Been Broughten Turn Summary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Roscioli
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
Magic Judge
mbmbmbmbmb

Player order will be:

1. Eunomiac
2. cal2cool4u
3. Jasperhawk
4. Cadane
5. Furyn

By CO, Eunomiac selects Roslin.

cal2cool4u, please select a character from:

Cain, Adama, Tigh, Helo
Apollo, Starbuck, Kat, Boomer
Chief, Dee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Corum
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I will play Dee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Roscioli
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
Magic Judge
mbmbmbmbmb

Jasperhawk, please choose a character from:

Cain, Adama, Tigh, Helo
Apollo, Starbuck, Kat, Boomer
Chief

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan West
Canada
Wasaga Beach
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It's the middle of the night, and President Laura Roslin awakens in a cold sweat. Memories of the nightmare that gripped her are fading, but hardly fast enough. They'd been getting worse ever since Dr. Cottle had finally agreed to prescribe her the chamalla extract she'd asked for, but this one was especially bizarre.

"Ellen? Ellen
Tigh?" Laura whispers in disbelief. "President Ellen Tigh?"

Laura shivers, rolls over, and draws up the blankets. "I'm just surprised they made it as far as they did," she mumbles to herself as she falls back asleep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper Hawk
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Let's go with Apollo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Roscioli
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
Magic Judge
mbmbmbmbmb

Cadane, please choose a character from:

Cain, Adama, Tigh, Helo
Chief

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eunomiac wrote:

It's the middle of the night, and President Laura Roslin awakens in a cold sweat. Memories of the nightmare that gripped her are fading, but hardly fast enough. They'd been getting worse ever since Dr. Cottle had finally agreed to prescribe her the chamalla extract she'd asked for, but this one was especially bizarre.

"Ellen? Ellen
Tigh?" Laura whispers in disbelief. "President Ellen Tigh?"

Laura shivers, rolls over, and draws up the blankets. "I'm just surprised they made it as far as they did," she mumbles to herself as she falls back asleep.

awesome! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan West
Canada
Wasaga Beach
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll point out that, as of now, our collective skill set is:

3-5 Politics
3-5 Leadership
4 Tactics
2 Piloting
1 Engineering

Of the two players left to choose, one will be a Military Leader and won't be drawing Engineering either, so we could potentially end up with Dee holding our sole blue draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan West
Canada
Wasaga Beach
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Furyn wrote:
awesome! laugh

Glad you laughed — I've been waiting to make a crack about "President" Ellen from the beginning of BSG 252. She's even less likely than ...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
President Romo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bridget Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I will Choose Adama

Looking forward to a full length game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Roscioli
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
Magic Judge
mbmbmbmbmb

Furyn, you've got the last choice. Please choose a character from:

Cain, Tigh, Helo
Baltar, Zarek, Ellen
Starbuck, Kat, Boomer
Chief

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I was hoping to avoid taking the little devil but his skill set is pretty much just what we need.

It's time for:

I'll take Baltar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Our final skill set:

5-7 Politics
7-9 Leadership
6 Tactics
2 Piloting
2 Engineering

+1 Intuition

Perhaps a little light on Piloting but we've got Pegasus and plenty of CPs of we need to conjure up some reds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Roscioli
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
Magic Judge
mbmbmbmbmb

Congratulations, President Roslin and Admiral Adama. You are important.

Loyalty is being sent.

Dee, what would you like as your opening draw? Everyone else, feel free to put in a CO for your opening draws.

Apollo, what Sector will you start in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper Hawk
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sector 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Roscioli
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
Magic Judge
mbmbmbmbmb

Also, I should mention that I've wiped all COs from the previous game, so if you want any of the COs you submitted to carry over, you need to re-send them.

Here's a token for opening draws. (Please fill it in in turn order.)

Opening Draws wrote:

Opening Draws

Roslin - None
Dee -
Apollo -
Adama -
Baltar -

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Corum
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Opening Draws wrote:

Opening Draws

Roslin - None
Dee - 1 Leadership, 2 Tactics
Apollo -
Adama -
Baltar -

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Roscioli
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
Magic Judge
mbmbmbmbmb

Opening Draws wrote:

Opening Draws

Roslin - None
Dee - 1 Leadership, 2 Tactics
Apollo - 1 Leadership, 2 Piloting
Adama - 1 Leadership, 2 Tactics
Baltar - 2 Politics, 1 Leadership

Opening draws being sent now, first turn soon to follow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Roscioli
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
Magic Judge
mbmbmbmbmb

Initial Game State is:

President Roslin is the Current Player, your cards have been sent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan West
Canada
Wasaga Beach
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

'Gaius "Frakking" Baltar.'

The thought almost made Roslin laugh out loud, but that would have been quite unbecoming of a President: She schooled herself, cleared her throat, squared her shoulders, and cut into the squabbling Quorum the way only a former schoolteacher could.

"I've heard enough." Her voice cracked like a whip; the Quorum died down, their eyes turning to her. Roslin fought down the urge to vomit in front of them (another pleasant side-effect of chamalla), and addressed the representative from Picon.

She
would have their support. Even if it killed her.

Ugh, while I'm hardly among the "Roslin's weakness makes her suck" crowd... her weakness really sucks.

Play 1 - Consolidate Power for 2x Politics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Roscioli
United States
Bristow
Virginia
flag msg tools
Magic Judge
mbmbmbmbmb

President Roslin has a strange vision, and she wonders if maybe she should run herself through the cylon detector after all.

Mandatory Testing - 13(9)YG

Interrupts for Mandatory Testing wrote:

Interrupts for Mandatory Testing - 13(9)YG
Looking for Investigative Committee and/or Scientific Research,
and/or ONE of the following: Support The People, At Any Cost, Guts And Initiative, or Jury Rigged.

Roslin -
Dee -
Apollo -
Adama -
Baltar -

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

and/or ONE of the following: Support The People, At Any Cost, Guts And Initiative, or Jury Rigged.

Roslin -
Dee -
Apollo -
Adama -
Baltar - Pass

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bridget Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Roslin -
Dee -
Apollo -
Adama - Pass
Baltar - Pass

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Corum
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Roslin -
Dee - Pass
Apollo -
Adama - Pass
Baltar - Pass

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [30] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.