$10.00
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I just got Navegador a couple days ago. Next EPGS meeting isn't until next Saturday, and so far as I know there are no online versions of the game available. I don't know if I can wait that long.

Meanwhile, my son takes an interest every time he sees me playing games online. And we've played our share of games of Can't Stop over the past several months (heck, he beat me in our first game, though not so much since). And he still wants to play more games of Caylus.

So what the heck! I introduced the lad to Navegador! (Age 12+, eh? Didn't stop me before!)

I showed him the initial setup (which he could probably do on his own by now), pointed out how all the spaces on the rondel worked, asked who should go first (he wanted to), and we set off on our game.

He bought a couple ships right off the bat, and I got a couple workers. From there, he had a penchant for sailing early and often; I think he thought the 'object' was simply to get to Nagasaki, and made every effort to gain blue disks. He didn't bother with the sugar, but did end up with 4 gold and 4 spice colonies by the end. For my part, I invested heavily in cathedrals and colonies, gaining privileges in both but not blocking his taking of exploration privileges.

He was able to end the game suddenly near the end, moving 5 ships into Macao/Nagasaki with a Shipping/Navegador double-move. Still, I figured, "He's 5. I helped him a lot for Market actions, but he still played sub-optimally. I mean, He's FIVE!" I tallied his score first, figuring I'd win by at least 20, maybe 50.

He ended the game with only 1 ship, some people, some good cash at the end ... and scored 40 points for having 8 blue disks at 5 VPs a pop! He also scored 16 for his 8 colonies, another 18 for his factories ... by the end, he got to 109 points. "Well done," I told my son, figuring I'd have to have much more than that.

Well, I did score 45 for my 5 cathedrals at 9 VPs each ... but apart from my colony binge, not too much else. And I did win ... the 45 I got from my cathedrals at the end, added to the SIXTY-SEVEN I got for everything else put together, got me to 112 points.

So I, a seasoned gamer, playing a 5-year-old who really had no ideas about good strategy or tactics ... win by THREE POINTS. Wow. I am so proud of my effort. (Of course, much more proud of how my boy did.)

Just wait until he turns 6!

POSTSCRIPT: We did play another game a couple hours later (he wanted to). I fared better this time, winning 151-105. Now he wants me to bring Caylus back into the house (I keep most of my games in my car) so he can play me again at that.

OH, and FWIW, I do play him at 'age-appropriate' games as well ... but I just don't think Session Reports about The Sneaky Snacky Squirrel Game would be as interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently learned that the "blue chip" strategy can be deceptively powerful. I played a game with a friend recently that went very similarly to yours. I went with a factory/church strategy and she went with a shipyards/exploration chips strategy. When it was over, I was sure I was going to trounce her, but the final tally was about 230 to 215. I still won, but not by nearly as much. I think she had all but two of the blue chips and, of course, the privileges maxed. Blue chips are notoriously weak because they typically are spread out between multiple players. But if you let one person take them all, it can be devastating.

P.S. My most embarrassing loss was against my brother. He is thirteen years younger and has Downs. Our first game of SmallWorld, he won 120 to 80.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Your 5-year-old obviously understood the game better on his first play than I did on my first or second. How embarassing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Peters Unrau
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My seven-year-old came rather close to beating me as well (twice!). This is one of those games that actually plays to young kids' strengths. Balancing a little of everything is a fast way to lose this game and it's actually harder for young children to do play like that. Single-minded purpose is the way to win here and that is the kind of strategy at which 5-7 year-olds excel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!! At five years old my kids were lucky to master Chutes and Ladders, never mind Navegador!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, this is awesome! Attaboy!

Secondly, it has me wondering about some of the conclusions I had made based on this thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/763875/looking-for-2p-expert...

particularly that it gets repetitive quickly and that there are only a couple of winning strategies.

Would you guys care to weigh in on the 2p experience on that thread? I'd be much obliged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doctoryes0 wrote:
First of all, this is awesome! Attaboy!

Secondly, it has me wondering about some of the conclusions I had made based on this thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/763875/looking-for-2p-expert...

particularly that it gets repetitive quickly and that there are only a couple of winning strategies.

Would you guys care to weigh in on the 2p experience on that thread? I'd be much obliged.

Well, I really can't judge the merits of 2pl action with these particular games ... and when gaming with others, I often go for 4pl or 5pl games (occasionally 3pl). I'll let you know if that changes in the future ... or when my son is old enough to better understand the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, yeah, understood.

And by "you guys" I meant yourself and the other people who posted on this thread, not your son of course. Although come to think of it that would be kind of great... they say any question worth asking can be formulated by a five year old, maybe it holds for reviews, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walther Gerdts
Germany
Hamburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My 5 years old Johann likes Navegador as well.
It's a pity both youngsters cannot meet...that could be interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MacGerdts wrote:
My 5 years old Johann likes Navegador as well.
It's a pity both youngsters cannot meet...that could be interesting!

If ever this game becomes available online (like at BoardGameArena or BrettSpielWelt), I'll be sure to create an account for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.