Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Moslander
United States
Fenton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The world of insects and arachnids has united. We must protect the queen bee, because we what can we say we love her. And we must destroy the other queen bee, because we don't want there to be fighting over who is the fairest of them all. Therefore, we ants, grasshoppers, spiders, ladybugs, beetles, and mosquitoes must unite for the sake of the queen! And the Hive!

I'll admit it the theme in Hive is lacking, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good game. The main reason for this weak them is that Hive is an abstract strategy game. This is a two-player game that takes 15-20 minutes to play. Some games can even be shorter than that. In Hive, each player as a set of different insect tiles that are hexagonal in shape. The object of the game is to have your opponents queen bee tile completely surrounded by tiles before your queen bee gets surrounded. As you add pieces to the board you create a hive with the tiles of each player. Each insect is then able to move differently around the hive similar to chess. No pieces are captured as in chess, but your pieces can become trapped and unable to move. And once your queen is unable to move it is only a matter of time before she is surrounded and the game is over.

The game has solid components, the new versions of the game have baked tiles that are similar to Dominoes or Mahjong tiles. Hive is also very portable. They give you a pouch to put all the tiles in so you can easily throw it in a bag and be on your way. I believe they have just release or are planning on releasing a pocket edition that has even smaller tiles. Hive also has two version available. There is the classic hive game which has different colors for each of the different insects. There is also the Hive Carbon edition that is black and white tiles. Although Carbon lacks the color of original Hive you get both of the expansions in this version for about the same price as original Hive. We went with the Carbon version, I love the sleek look and having the expansions with the game is a plus.

Hive has been around for about 10 years now, and it seems to still be selling very well. The game is priced well at a list price of $30. It is also a very simple game. The rulebook is only a couple of pages and you can explain the game in about five minutes. Like any good abstract strategy game, Hive has simple rules, but tons of strategy. And if you are playing with the same person you have to be constantly changing your strategy otherwise they will see you coming from a mile away. This game isn't the first game that we pull off the shelf most nights, but it is one that we both enjoy playing. The quickness of the game makes it an easy game to start off a game night with, and it's portability makes a great road trip game. I think that you could even possibly play this one on an airplane. If not the original you can definitely play the pocket version on a plane. Overall, we enjoy Hive, I don't have any complaints. I would love to see some more expansions come out for it, and maybe a way to play with 4-players could be interesting. This is a solid 2-player game and very accessible. It is a great place to start your collection or add to it.

For more awesome content check out www.gameswithtwo.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your thoughts. My wife and I play this great little game often
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.