Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Leaman
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PLEASE NOTE: This thread was for the 2012 meet-up. The next meet-up date will be announced in late May or early June of 2013.

Attention northern New England BGG users and fellow Maine board gamers from across the state! The Maine Gamer (http://mainegamer.tumblr.com) is happy to announce the Northern New England BGG meet-up, Saturday, June 16, 2012 in Brunswick, Maine!

We’ve reserved a large, air conditioned community room at the Curtis Memorial Library in Brunswick for this day long event. Bring your favorite strategy, war and family board games or try something new from our lending library. Come for one game or stay for the day.

The meetup will feature: two morning sessions, two afternoon sessions with a break in the middle for lunch, and a board game swap meet. There will also be five unscheduled tables for BYOBG (bring your own board game) fun. For those who wish to linger (and are of age) we will end the day at one of Brunswick’s fine pubs.

The meetup is free (no charge). Children age 13 and under must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

WEB SITE FOR MORE INFO:
http://mainegamer.tumblr.com/bgg-meetup

DAY SCHEDULE:
9:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. Open Tables (5 unscheduled tables, first come, first serve)
9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Session 1 (5 reserved tables, registration required)
11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. Session 2 (5 reserved tables, registration required)
1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. Break for lunch / Swap Meet View the swap meet geeklist here
2:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. Session 3 (5 reserved tables, registration required)
4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. Session 3 (5 reserved tables, registration required)

SESSION SCHEDULE:
Signup and registration, along with the schedule of hosted games on the reserved tables, are now online at our Warhorn event page.

http://warhorn.net/maine-bgg-meetup/

HOSTING A GAME:
If you are interested in hosting a board game at one of the reserved tables please register on the Warhorn event page and include the name of the game(s), along with the publisher and edition information in the "Notes" field of your registration application. You may also email the information to the event coordinator from the link provided on the Warhorn event page.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
You are not required to register or reserve a table during a session to attend the event. You may elect to chance the availability of the open tables. However, registration is free and scheduling a session guarantees you a table for you to host a game or a seat at a scheduled game (as availability permits). You may reserve two morning or two evening sessions back-to-back if table availability permits.

There is no time limit on the open tables but they are reserved for board game use only. Again, the open tables are available on a first come, first served basis.

Lunch is not provided. Please bring your lunch or, if you wish, many of Brunswick’s fine dining establishments are readily available downtown (within walking distance from the library).

Please Note: Food and drink are not permitted at the game tables.

DOOR PRIZES:
We have three door prize bundles to give away this year to three random attendees at the meet-up! Pick up your drawing entry at the door for your chance to win a copy of Cabin Fever along with a copy of Urban Sprawl, or The Red Dragon Inn 2, or High Noon Saloon! The drawing will be held during at the start of the lunch break at 1:30 p.m.

DIRECTIONS:
Directions to the Curtis Memorial Library in Brunswick can be found on the Curtis Memorial Library website: http://www.curtislibrary.com/about-us/directions/. We will be holding the event in the community room which has a separate entrance to the left of the main library entrance.

PARKING:
Please do not park in the library’s (very small) parking lot. There is plenty of street-side, public parking on the streets that surround the library. Also, additional parking may be found downtown and at the Hannaford parking lot nearby (all within walking distance).

2011 RECAP:
We had a fantastic turnout for our inaugural event last year! People drove in from as far as two hours away, including game groups from Portsmouth, New Hampshire (Sages of the RPG) and Bangor, Maine (Bangor Area Gamers Guild). A special thanks to Jeremy from Crossroad Games for setting up a mini boardgame store at the event. There was also a nice write-up in the Sun Journal about the event... http://www.sunjournal.com/bplus/story/1073691.

Setup prior to the doors opening at 9 a.m.

The Bangor Area Gamers Guild (BAGG) arrives early and break out Settlers of America: Trails to Rails.

Still hot from GenCon... Wayne Moulton (of the Sages of the RPG group) demos Quarriors.

The first session is underway and Wizard's Quest (1979, Avalon Hill) hits the table.

Members of the Maine Historical Wargaming Association double up on tables and layout two scenarios of GMT's Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division.

Mascot "Klaus", on loan from the Bangor Area Gamers Guild (BAGG), guarding the programs and giving autographs.

Session 3 gets under way after the lunch break.

A courteous host sets up Goa... But where are the rest of the players?

There they are! Turns out everyone in this game of Power Grid had only played the game once or twice prior to the meetup. 3 hours later....

Hope to see you at the 2nd Annual Northern New England BGG Meet-up this June!

QUESTIONS? COMMENTS?
If you have questions or comments please post them below.

LINKS
Meet-up info: http://mainegamer.tumblr.com/bgg-meetup
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/nne.bgg.meetup
Warhorn site: http://warhorn.net/maine-bgg-meetup/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
We see our role as essentially defensive in nature.
mbmbmbmbmb
woohoo! looking forward to this! had a great time last year. i hope to meet new gamer folks in northern new england.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Leaman
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The folks at Crossroad Games are setting up shop and will have an even larger selection of boardgames this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Brown
United States
Gorham
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mleaman wrote:
The folks at Crossroad Games are setting up shop and will have an even larger selection of boardgames this year.

We will also be bringing a number of demo games to add to the game library for the day. We plan to have a list of these in the next couple months as well as a schedule of demos that we'll be running for those interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuck Chorris
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Had an awesome time last year, I'll be there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Moulton Jr.
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I will also make the trip. Now to decide what games to run. A play test is certainly going to happen of at least one of our games that we are getting ready for print.

Any suggestions or requests for games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Leaman
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had a request for someone to run The Manhattan Project. Although we probably have that one covered. Hansa Teutonica and Battlestar Galactica are already up on the schedule. BSG will run across two slots (4 hours). Popular Euros are always a hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debi Florey
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really looking forward to the meet up this year since I had to miss last years. Any one have Urban Sprawl? I would love to learn that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Brown
United States
Gorham
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can try to remember to bring it - I will certainly teach it, but won't have the time to sit down and play it as I will be working the Crossroad Games booth. Not a problem though - I will put it on my list to bring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Miller
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I also have Flash Point: Fire Rescue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debi Florey
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Auricle wrote:
I can try to remember to bring it - I will certainly teach it, but won't have the time to sit down and play it as I will be working the Crossroad Games booth. Not a problem though - I will put it on my list to bring.

sweet! thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Leaman
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mattmill wrote:

Bring it along! Also, I've a had few people send me a message on Facebook wanting me to run a game of The Manhattan Project. Last year I learned that running a game and coordinating the event don't mix well. So you may be on the hook for that one Matt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Leaman
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Several people commented after the meet-up about the variety and abundance of restaurants and food vendors in downtown Brunswick. (Most less than a five minute walk from the meet-up location.) The one spot I heard people rave about the most was Lola's Taqueria, a cart located on the quad in Brunswick. The owners of the cart decided to open a restaurant (not in Brunswick) which cast doubt on whether their cart would return. But the owner said they'll be back for another summer, opening April 1st! I recommend the Yucatan (burrito) and a fresh made limeade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debi Florey
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so excited about the door prizes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Leaman
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pinksparkledice wrote:

You beat me to the punch Deb!

Games for the lending library table are arriving! GMT Games sent along their contribution to the lending library (pictured below) and included an extra copy of Urban Sprawl. That extra copy will be offered as a door prize to attendees.

Also, I just got word from the Gelato Fiasco (down the street from the meet-up location) that they want to offer a discount special to all attendees. More info on that soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
mleaman wrote:
pinksparkledice wrote:

Games for the lending library table are arriving! GMT Games sent along their contribution to the lending library (pictured below) and included an extra copy of Urban Sprawl. That extra copy will be offered as a door prize to attendees.

Also, I just got word from the Gelato Fiasco (down the street from the meet-up location) that they want to offer a discount special to all attendees. More info on that soon.

Haha is Asia Engulfed short enough to be played at the meetup? Though it'd be sweet to find someone around here to play it with . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Leaman
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

Haha is Asia Engulfed short enough to be played at the meetup? Though it'd be sweet to find someone around here to play it with . . .

If that's all you want to play. You'd probably have to have to give up the lunch break though. You're certainly welcome to take it out of lending library and give it a try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
mleaman wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

If that's all you want to play. You'd probably have to have to give up the lunch break though. You're certainly welcome to take it out of lending library and give it a try!

I've owned it for a year and still haven't had that chance

Putting stickers on the blocks is fun though . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debi Florey
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mleaman wrote:
pinksparkledice wrote:

Sorry Mark! I didnt give all the details..I left that to you. I had to post something to bump this topic back near the top.

Debi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Leaman
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pinksparkledice wrote:

Sorry Mark! I didnt give all the details..I left that to you. I had to post something to bump this topic back near the top.

Debi

No worries Deb. I'm still waiting for packages from a few of the sponsors so there may be one or two more additions to the door prize.

Also, the Gelato Fiasco contacted me to let me know that meet-up attendees can get any hot or iced coffee, tea, espresso, or latte for free with a purchase of a treat size gelato. (Using a password that I'll announce at the meet-up.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Leaman
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The meet-up poster ready for the printer! This will be going up in Bull Moose stores around northern New England.

Also, some more door prizes are on the way thanks to our sponsors!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Leaman
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We have three door prize bundles to give away this year to three random attendees at the meet-up! Pick up your drawing entry at the door for your chance to win a copy of Cabin Fever along with a copy of Urban Sprawl, or The Red Dragon Inn 2, or High Noon Saloon!

Hope to see you there! Remember, admission is free!

We also have a Facebook page for the meet-up for those of you who would rather follow event info there.

Reserved tables are starting to fill up as well as some of the games already on the schedule. Be sure to visit our Warhorn site to register for one of the reserved game tables or sign up for one of the scheduled games. There will also be plenty of open tables available for unscheduled play. You may bring your favorite board games or borrow one from our lending library.

Hope to see you there!

-Mark

LINKS
Meet-up info: http://mainegamer.tumblr.com/bgg-meetup
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/nne.bgg.meetup
Warhorn site: http://warhorn.net/maine-bgg-meetup/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hyland

Waterville
Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks great looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H.G. Manifold
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
New here, New to modern board games, and I will most definitely be there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan McNamara
United States
Durham
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

I'd be happy to teach/judge/play a game. Use this poll to indicate if you'd be interested in one (or more )of these games. I'll see about reserving a table for the one with the most interest. (note: I can't edit the poll, but Fury of Dracula should only be 2-3 hours)

Poll
Which of these games would you like to play? (check more than one)
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
American Rails
33.3% 2
Chaos in the Old World
33.3% 2
Caylus Magna Carta
50.0% 3
A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) (would take two blocks, 3-4 hours)
0.0% 0
Fury of Dracula (two blocks, 2-4 hours)
50.0% 3
Voters 6
This poll is now closed.   6 answers
Poll created by Pip Count 167
Closes: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.