Popular Tags: identify [+] [View All]
Nick Tischler
United Kingdom
Willingham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

I bought this today from a charity shop along with some wooden puzzles. At first I thought it was a magic box and that you need to manipulate the pieces to open it but, on further reflection - - it looks more like an abstract game.

The pieces fit in the holes in the top.
One long piece or two short pieces fit in each hole.

The sides come off as shown below.
The pieces are of two lengths. Two short pieces equal one long one. There seem to be two white pieces missing but could easily be made with dowling.

The sides can be attached as shown below and the pieces fit in them.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i wish i knew, but coool find!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minden
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's called Shadow Boxers, and it's the national game of Lodabiesistan.

Players take turns inserting their rods in the box (*snicker*). Any time a player achieves a line of three, or a square of four (only the surface level matters), they can place an extra rod. At the end of the game, whoever has more of their color visible on the surface wins. Ties are settled with arm wrestling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Wasserman
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lol Loda-B.S.-istan

I think I've been there. Spent a week there one Friday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for spelling that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Shipman
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is as follows:

Yes you are missing two white pieces. The side boards are for holding your pieces, and the main 4x4 grid with the deep holes is the playing area. The board starts empty. White probably moves first. Each move consists of placing a peg of your color in a hole with the proviso that your peg cannot stick up above the top surface. In other words you cannot place a tall peg on top of a short one. Maybe you are not allowed to place a short peg in a vacant hole if that would leave fewer vacant holes than long pegs remaining. You probably wouldn't want to do that anyway, inasmuch as only the upper level short pegs are used to make four in a row, and if there are so few vacant holes left, that would imply there are several upper level slots available for your short peg. The object is to get four in a row of your color visible on the top surface. If neither player can do this then the game is a draw.

On refelection, black would have an easy win with the following strategy: when white places a short peg in a vacant hole, place a black short peg on top of it. So there would have to be some means of preventing this. But if you simply forbid playing a short peg on one color on top of a short peg of the other color, then placing any peg in a hole "claims" that hole, and the game is not much different from one where all the pegs are long. So there would have to be some kludgy rule to try to make the game interesting, and it probably fails.

EDIT: How about this: White's first move must be to place one short peg. Thereafter a move by either side consists of either placing two short pegs or one long peg. So black could cover white's first peg, but then would be compelled to place a vulnerable black peg somewhere, and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Pushing a lesbian old growth union-approved agenda since '94.
mbmbmbmbmb
You could play this with the rules to San Ta Si and it would probably work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Clark
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
What we're looking at here is clearly just a plain ole wooden dowel organizer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blazing Apostle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, a sort of Connect Four with wood !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CoreyClark wrote:
What we're looking at here is clearly just a plain ole wooden dowel organizer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Tischler
United Kingdom
Willingham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all your input.

@D Beau - Yeah. It's obviously a souvenir that someone brought back for their father-in-law. He put it in the loft for 10 years then took it to a charity shop after losing the obligatory couple of pieces!

@CoreyClark - Like you, I just hate having the place cluttered up by loads of dowling. Thanks for the practical storage suggestion!

@sbszine - I think I might need some more bits to play San Ta Si.

@twixter - Thank you for designing a new game just for me! I like your edited addition and will try the game out with my son. However I would not be surprised if it was originally an overproduced version of a sub-par game.

I am humbled to think that the collective hive-brain of the Geek may have been defeated by this mystery... blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.