Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey DS fans. I have yet to play this game, but it is easily the game I have wanted the most. I wasn't able to find a copy with a with a reasonable price in the last month or so since becoming interested, so I preorder the 3rd printing from the GMT site.

Originally, it was stated that the new edition was expected to be released at the end of February or by mid March. So, I ended up ordering some other games in the meantime. After receiving most recent GMT newsletter, it has come to my attention that the new printing will not be released until May sometime. I don't know if I can wait that long (and I'm typically a pretty patient guy).

Recently, I found a few copies of DS 2nd printing for a decent price. I need to check into the details further, but I'm wondering if I should possibly pick up the game now instead of waiting. Any opinion on this would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nors Jensen
Denmark
Kokkedal
flag msg tools
Export your BGG collection into a PDF document on bgg2pdf.com
badge
Export your BGG collection into a PDF document on bgg2pdf.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The only difference is the artwork, is that worth the wait?

That is really up to you, I do not know if the artwork is that importaint to you...

Great game though, you can look forward to it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nors wrote:
The only difference is the artwork, is that worth the wait?

That is really up to you, I do not know if the artwork is that importaint to you...

Great game though, you can look forward to it :)

I noticed that the artwork has changed on the cards and minor modifications to the hexes and possible the game board. I didn't see if there were any changes to the rules, the wooden components, or the game box. Are there any?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
Du Quoin
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
No rules changes. Exact same game. Different art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:

Cool, thanks. So should I assume that the wooden components are remaining the same too then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
DakotaDevil wrote:
Malacandra wrote:

Cool, thanks. So should I assume that the wooden components are remaining the same too then?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jason there has been some recent posts confirming this from the designer if you want more confirmation.

Just decide based on your preference for the art changes. I am happy with the the copy I have. The changes were mainly there to grab a number of players who did not like the original art. To me the game looks very attractive as it is and it gives the clarity which is crucial for this game to stop your head exploding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it were me, I'd wait until the 2nd edition becomes highly available on eBay or in the Marketplace (like, when the New Art, 3rd edition hits the stores?) when you can pick it up for cheap money. I have the 2nd edition with the muted artwork and I have received no complaints as of yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've said this before, and I'll say it again. After the third edition comes out, we still won't be comparing DS to any of Days of Wonders' games in the art department. If you are holding out for the third edition hoping for an amazing art piece, you will be sorely disappointed. I think the second edition is GREAT as-is. The artwork, color scheme, and overall feel are just right, IMO. In fact, I think some of the changes in the newer version are for the worse. So I'm glad I have my current version.

I think the bigger issue here is whether you want to buy a second copy of a game you've already preordered so you can get it sooner. That's the sign of someone with a real problem. I've only done that three or four times... in the last two years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:

I think the bigger issue here is whether you want to buy a second copy of a game you've already preordered so you can get it sooner.

GMT allows easy cancellations of preorders online, as long as it is before your card is charged. Not an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
If it were me, I'd wait until the 2nd edition becomes highly available on eBay or in the Marketplace (like, when the New Art, 3rd edition hits the stores?) when you can pick it up for cheap money. I have the 2nd edition with the muted artwork and I have received no complaints as of yet.

That's a pretty good idea really. From what I'm seeing on the pictures, it isn't that much of a change in artwork or graphics anyway. So in the end, this is probably going to come down to price. I thought the copies I found online were $60 with free shipping, but I just checked and they are actually $70.

The preorder price from GMT for the 3rd printing is great at ~$54, BUT I know that price is tainted because of the shipping cost which I assume will bring the price closer to $70.

So really, the price is going to be the same (buying 2nd ed. now or waiting until May and ordering 3rd ed. from GMT).

What you propose is interesting. I could wait and see what the price of the 2nd ed. does and make a decision at that time.

I wouldn't think twice about getting the game right now though if I could find it for $50 or $60.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
mjacobsca wrote:

I think the bigger issue here is whether you want to buy a second copy of a game you've already preordered so you can get it sooner.

GMT allows easy cancellations of preorders online, as long as it is before your card is charged. Not an issue.

This. I forgot to mention that according to the GMT P500 program thing (which I haven't tried before preordering the 3rd ed. Of this game), you can cancel a preorder at any time before the item makes their 500 preorder list (or whatever it's called).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason,

There is also a PBeM thread going on if you want to jump in a game, post there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been planning to order the 3rd edition as soon as it came out, but only just found out it has apparently been delayed - the online stories all still list it as Preorder: March.

But, I can't find any copies of 2nd edition for less than $70, whereas a 3rd edition will run more like $50 w/ free shipping when it comes out. That's a significant difference, so I guess I will keep waiting.

I get the idea of P500, but it doesn't seem right that we're doing GMT a favor by preordering and then being charged more than customers that buy the game through normal online companies. I'm more than happy to tell you that I'll buy a copy if that helps you plan, but please don't screw me over in return with higher prices. Why should I help you if you're hurting me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
Jason,

What is "PBeM"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
I've been planning to order the 3rd edition as soon as it came out, but only just found out it has apparently been delayed - the online stories all still list it as Preorder: March.

But, I can't find any copies of 2nd edition for less than $70, whereas a 3rd edition will run more like $50 w/ free shipping when it comes out. That's a significant difference, so I guess I will keep waiting.

I get the idea of P500, but it doesn't seem right that we're doing GMT a favor by preordering and then being charged more than customers that buy the game through normal online companies. I'm more than happy to tell you that I'll buy a copy if that helps you plan, but please don't screw me over in return with higher prices. Why should I help you if you're hurting me?

They actually lower the cost if you preorder, but like I said earlier, that ends up not mattering because you can expect to spend at least $15 for shipping which brings that price right back up around $70.

I think for now, I'm definitely cancelling that preorder and I'll wait it out and see if I find anything between now and then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DakotaDevil wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:
Jason,

What is "PBeM"?

Play By eMail

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
DakotaDevil wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:
Jason,

What is "PBeM"?

Play By eMail

Hmm, that's a little weird, but I'll give it a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dillon
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
I know the price of P500 titles is a litte above what you will find online but remember for the past two years GMT has offered 50% off any existing P500 item for every P500 item you ordered during the previous year.

They have also given free games out to gamers who have lost their job during the previous year.

One good turn deserves another for a great game company.

My 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dndspeyside wrote:
I know the price of P500 titles is a litte above what you will find online but remember for the past two years GMT has offered 50% off any existing P500 item for every P500 item you ordered during the previous year.

They have also given free games out to gamers who have lost their job during the previous year.

My 2 cents.

50% discount for a new P500 game or for example, would it be possible to get an older game like Twilight Struggle at 50% off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
Du Quoin
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
DakotaDevil wrote:
dndspeyside wrote:

My 2 cents.

50% discount for a new P500 game or for example, would it be possible to get an older game like Twilight Struggle at 50% off?

NOT 50% off Preorders but 50% off in stock items. So yeah, Twilight Struggle. Usually it's one 50% off item for each Preorder you've done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
DakotaDevil wrote:
dndspeyside wrote:

My 2 cents.

NOT 50% off Preorders but 50% off in stock items. So yeah, Twilight Struggle. :) Usually it's one 50% off item for each Preorder you've done.

Thanks for the response. That sounds like a good deal until once again you take into account the shipping costs and such.

I went ahead and cancelled my preorder. If the 3rd printing wouldn't have been delayed, I probably would have just went for it. Now that I've had the time to think about it, I'm positive I will find a better deal online eventually. I was going to have to wait until May for the preorder anyway, so I'll see what I can find in the meantime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
Du Quoin
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DakotaDevil wrote:
Malacandra wrote:
DakotaDevil wrote:
dndspeyside wrote:

My 2 cents.

NOT 50% off Preorders but 50% off in stock items. So yeah, Twilight Struggle. Usually it's one 50% off item for each Preorder you've done.

That sounds like a good deal until once again you take into account the shipping costs and such.

I went ahead and cancelled my preorder. If the 3rd printing wouldn't have been delayed, I probably would have just went for it. Now that I've had the time to think about it, I'm positive I will find a better deal online eventually. I was going to have to wait until May for the preorder anyway, so I'll see what I can find in the meantime.

Fair enough. Most of us who preorder do so to get the game printed and get it first. If it ends up costing a bit more, the sale gives back a huge chunk. And, as someone else pointed out, GMT is a company worth supporting
on a more than purely "business" level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know about them offering a discount for each preorder you make. That does help.

But it would help a lot more I think if you got the 50% immediately so you could ship both games together. You'd save a lot on shipping compared to two separate shipments, AND you wouldn't have to wait until next year to be rewarded. Maybe if we were having this discussion in late November or December it wouldn't be that big a deal but on March 1st a coupon for next year has a much lower appeal to me.

Still, good to know about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DakotaDevil wrote:
mjacobsca wrote:
DakotaDevil wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:
Jason,

What is "PBeM"?

Play By eMail

Hmm, that's a little weird, but I'll give it a look.

Check out Dominant Species Online

and www.vassalengine.org

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.