J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me if you want to play wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Please list any recent wargames (stand-alone games or scenarios) you have COMPLETED since your post in the previous thread. And please continue to add more wargames as you complete them.

Time for Spring. Baseball and wargaming, a winning combination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Britannia. Blue won by 2 points over my green.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantom Fury, just finished my first game through, my marines got totally destroyed! Will be having another go tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished Red Star Rising: The War in Russia, 1941-1944 earlier this month. Soviets' red star indeed arose and crushed the Germans.

And a four-player PBEM Successors (third edition) ended last night when I planted Alexander in sacred ground at Pella and won on legitimacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lavoie
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Won a solo Doomsday Machine scenario of Space Empires: 4X. Looking to play more, either a solo Alien Empire scenario or face-to-face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Boyes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished off a game of Bulge that my opponent and I had started in 2011. He was the Germans and rolled over me, the Americans, in the Ardennes.

We also played a game of Tank on Tank. It was the "Get Out of Town" scenario from Line of Fire #10, and it went down to the last turn and last die roll. On that last die roll I eliminated a tank in a town hex, which allowed me to enter the hex on the next action and win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boomer Wietharn
United States
Mukilteo
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wendell, what did you think of Red Star Rising? I have not punched the game yet as I have heard there are some issues with play balance or ahistorical results (sorry, I can't really remember specifically). I'm trying to decide if I should play it or sell it. Thanks!

Bruce
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World (there, that ought to get some heated arguments going!)

No, actually it's War of the Ring and before that Twilight Struggle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
bwietharn wrote:
Wendell, what did you think of Red Star Rising? I have not punched the game yet as I have heard there are some issues with play balance or ahistorical results (sorry, I can't really remember specifically). I'm trying to decide if I should play it or sell it. Thanks!

I really like its rules, maps, how it feels, and the very different nature of the German and Soviet armies. But the rap is if you break down the German corps into battlegroups that the Soviets don't have "enough cardboard" to avoid being caught in a web of ZOCs ("contested hexes" in RSR parlance) which can kill you in combat.

I haven't seen that in my solo plays - first time or two because I didn't think of doing that. My last, just-finished game, I used some different rules by the designer (in a post by Adam Starkweather in RSR's page on CSW) which slightly nerfs the ZOC for singly-stacked battlegroups and changes the sequence of play during Snow turns. That game, the Soviets won.

I don't know if its play balance problems are fatal or not - and I've only played it solitaire. But I really do like how the game looks and feels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished Washington's War.
Played A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) and Warriors & Traders the day before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Completed? I'm not playing games that can be completed anytime soon. Have been playing in an 1805 campaign of AH's Empires in Arms for about two years now, and we are only 1/3 of the way to the end. Just started a full campaing game of MMP's The Devil's Cauldron two months ago, and we are about 24 hours into a battle that is supposed to take a little more than a week of fighting. We have three players who are in both the Empires in Arms 1805 campaign and the campaign of The Devil's Cauldron. Two of the players in the Empires in Arms campaign are also playing in a World in Flames campaign that started last fall and will likely take most of the rest of the year to complete.

Monster wargames - R - Us! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boomer Wietharn
United States
Mukilteo
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! That seems to be the consensus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm deployed and haven't had all that much time, but I have been teaching myself Waterloo 20 so I can start to get some of my friends here involved. The first game I completed resulted in a pretty convincing French victory, so I'll give it another spin and then add in the Optional Rules.

Alan Emrich and Darin Leviloff were kind enough to send me some of the VPG solo line, so I will start noodling around with Soviet Dawn as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lin lin
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished the two first introduction scenarios of Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles

Simple but deep, brilliant design !
I'm still waiting to see how tank/weapons will integrate to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Los Ranchos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan Dolan's "Those Normandy Nights" ASL scenario from Critical Hit! - Volume 7, No. 2. Most of the paratroopers landed off-map, but zoomed up to the point of contact to take the win. After the initial landings, the Jerries couldn't buy a star shell, and NVR going down to 1 sealed the deal.

Edit: Fun scenario, with lots of replayability, as the Germans can set up anywhere and the Yanks can land anywhere. Good game to learn night rules, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just finished my 2nd game of Phantom Fury, this time I had a strategy (or was it because I threw out the dice that kept throwing 1s & 0s!) and so things went a lot more smoothly and on turn 15 (2nd last turn), the Marines won a decisive victory clearing out the last hole up martyrs with 11 VPs. It was a reasonably close run thing, it came down to the last building in the upper right corner. There was an injured (combat factor 4) uniting facing the enemy, and a couple of bad dice throws could've lost the game. It doesn't matter that I didn't lose a single unit in the whole game, an army of marines wouldn't have helped, since the rules prevent more than one squad to enter an insurgent control area to minimize friendly fire. So it was this weaken unit or bust.

I definitely recommend adding in ALL the fortify building markers for a much tougher challenge. I added only two in this game and both were taken out with support from the helicopters, too easy for those on the ground.

Infiltration is easy to prevent by presenting a continuous front as you progress through the blocks. You can use reduced units (that you don't want to risk losing) or the Iraqi troops (they can't attack anything but the mosque any how.) to fill in any gaps.

Oddly, I found combat fire not all that useful, the fact that snipers can get a shot at you is pretty bad! Not really worth the risk. I only used it with the tanks (which are immune) whenever they didn't have to move this turn.

Crossing the roads where the tanks are is the safest (you ignore suspects and step losses!), but you can get a reasonably safe crossings at the edges of the map where your men are exposed to less neighborhoods. Also, you can use your tanks to shield your crossings in two different street-sections per turn by moving men across the tank before the tank moves and then in another street-section after the tank moves.

Secure a neighborhood before moving onto another to prevent gaps from occurring that may result in infiltration.

Good game. Going to play again tonight with more fortify building markers, the rule book says to add in 1-4 markers (to adjust difficulty) but the game comes with 6... I think I will add all six in this time....\

(I have done a mini review of it here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/71266/erics-solitaire-...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played some quick solo games of 800 Heroes: Defense of Sihang Warehouse and written a session report of one of them: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/773279/aar-of-800-heroes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marticabre wrote:
I've played some quick solo games of 800 Heroes: Defense of Sihang Warehouse and written a session report of one of them: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/773279/aar-of-800-heroes

Excellent little game! I played it many times solitaire also, its quite an interesting little situation. If you like this game, I think you will like Malaya: V-Mail Postcard Game #1, its a free postcard game, try to win with the Japanese, its quite a puzzle!! Took me 10 plays to workout how to win with the Japanese. Its hard to win as the British also, the game is finely balanced on a knife's edge and takes perfect play to not end in a draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
marticabre wrote:

Excellent little game! I played it many times solitaire also, its quite an interesting little situation. If you like this game, I think you will like Malaya: V-Mail Postcard Game #1, its a free postcard game, try to win with the Japanese, its quite a puzzle!! Took me 10 plays to workout how to win with the Japanese. Its hard to win as the British also, the game is finely balanced on a knife's edge and takes perfect play to not end in a draw.

A free postcard game? Is it DIY or there is some way to get it?
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marticabre wrote:
Garfink wrote:
marticabre wrote:

A free postcard game? Is it DIY or there is some way to get it?
Thanks!

DIY, pretty easy one to DIY too. You can download it free here: http://www.wargamedownloads.com/item.php?item=500&pics= (There are many other free games or cheap games on the site as well, well worth exploring.) Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a game of 1812: The Invasion of Canada. Rather light, but a fun wargame. The British won taking Detriot, Ft. Niagara, and Plattsburg NY. We played two player and it was a pretty straight forward game. I think it will be interesting to see how a multi player game plays out. The teams will have to coordinate moves. Should be fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rodrick
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished my first game of Combat Commander: Europe. It was a solitaire, learning game. The Germans emerged victorious in the first scenario but it was a bit of a contested game. Contested I say because the cards are mighty stiff right out of the box and it was difficult to get a good shuffle. I think the Russians paid a little higher price for the groups of similar cards that showed up the first time through the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring (first edition) The fellowship tossed the ring in old Mount Doom. I think I want to try it again because there were some things I did wrong. It had been some time since I had played it.
I played the game solitaite and thought it played well that way. To determine how many dice the shadow player put in the hunt box I rolled one die (/2) rounding down and no rounding when they got in to Modor. I may round up when they get closer (within 6).

The Free People won the second game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo, Napoleon at Waterloo. With other people, Kingmaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
Liberty Roads - just starting up Operation Cobra scenario - solo. 1/2 through turn 1 and the road to Averances is open. Also, the British were wildly successful - rolling two 11s to open up the path to Le Havre.

Germans are going to have a challenge plugging the holes - but they are up next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.