Subject: Puerto Rico Nobles expansion clarifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Having finally obtained a copy of the Nobles expansion, I browsed through the rules threads here. There seems to be some confusion regarding the correct rules, which is understandable since the English translation is a bit dodgy. I got a copy of the original German rules from Stefan Brueck, who requested that I post here.

1. The German rules for the Villa state:

Quote:
Kommt der Besitzer einer Villa in der Bürgermeisterphase das erste Mal an die Reihe, erhält er 1 zusätzlichen Adligen direkt aus dem Vorrat (also nicht vom Schiff!). Gibt es im Vorrat keinen Adligen mehr, erhält er stattdessen einen zusätzlichen Kolonisten.

Note that "zusätzlichen," which is emphasized in the original. It means "additional." So, the owner of a Villa gets a noble from the supply IN ADDITION to their normal pick from the ship.

2. The German rules for other tiles that refer to nobles all look like this example (Jeweler):

Quote:
In jeder Aufseherphase erhält der Besitzer eines Juweliers pro eigenen Adligen 1 Dublone aus der Bank.

You will note there is no mention of "island" - it just says the owner of a Jeweler gets 1 doubloon per noble, period. None of the German rules refer to an "island," so all the arguments about whether that means just the plantations or not are moot - it was an unfortunate insertion by the English translator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
Quote:
In jeder Aufseherphase erhält der Besitzer eines Juweliers pro eigenen Adligen 1 Dublone aus der Bank.

You will note there is no mention of "island" - it just says the owner of a Jeweler gets 1 doubloon per noble, period. None of the German rules refer to an "island," so all the arguments about whether that means just the plantations or not are moot - it was an unfortunate insertion by the English translator.

German PR 10th Anniversary
http://www.ravensburger.de/spielanleitungen/ecm/Spielanleitu...

In jeder Aufseherphase erhält der Besitzer eines Juweliers für jeden Adligen auf seiner Insel 1 Dublone.

Insel means Island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I don't know why they would reword it, but in any case:

1. The game is certainly not consistent about using "island" to mean just the plantations.

2. Stefan Brueck confirmed my clarifications, so unless you can get Seyfarth himself to weigh in I have to consider them official.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Island" also refers to the player board. "Island spaces" would be conclusive, but of course, it's not merely island spaces that count toward the Jeweler.

Thanks for finally confirming my suspicions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
The German rules of the expansion The Nobles for the building jeweler are clear. The owner receives 1 VP for each nobleman he owns, no matter if or where the nobleman is used. The rules for the royal garden in the Anniversary edition clearly state that "on his island" means just owning the nobleman. "Island" just refers to the player board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.