Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will M. Baker
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
designer
Having played with each of the avatars at least once now, I tip my hat to the Ranger, which seems superior to the point of being overpowered. Whether I'm trying to move monsters closer to the dungeon entrance to reduce the darkness penalty, or move them further away to incur a darkness penalty, the Ranger ability seems useful for any dungeon, regardless of the village setup.

The Thief's basic ability is useful (money seems tighter in ToR), but is too limited being restricted to weapons and items. Cleric, Fighter, and Wizard are all contingent on specific village setups.

Since we're allowed to pick our Avatars (after seeing the village/dungeon setup?), it would take a very special village setup to sway me from choosing Ranger every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that they are not all equal, but my finding was that for each Village / Dungeon setup there were maybe 2 solid options (using a random setup, that is - I haven't tried the suggested ones). Obviously, if there is nothing in the village or dungeon that gives you a disease, the cleric is kinda useless.

I really like the added flavor of the avatars, but it is a bit disappointing how few viable options there are on occasion. Makes me wonder (hope!) whether future expansions will include additional avatars?

Either way, I'm glad I got them because they really do add a bit more flavor and variety to make things interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsson
United States
Des Moines
Washington
flag msg tools
I'd agree that the ranger is a good avatar, maybe even a little too good, but it's not always the best.

The way I see it, if you can't tell what avatar will be useful, the ranger is a solid choice. It's level 1 ability really helps early game or in layouts with little light, and it's level 5 is great when there is lots of light on the board.

The Fighter and Wizard are both very situation, but both very good. Both of their level 1 abilities are quite useful with the right layout, but fairly useless otherwise, and their level 2 abilitys are extremely powerful if you build your deck around them.

The Thief I'd say is generally the worst of the avatars, it's level 1 ability is only really good if there are expensive weapons on the board you want a lot of(and even then, Fighter is likely better to ensure you'll always be able to use them), but the level 5 ability can be very very useful late game. especially on a large table.

The cleric is the most situational of the avatars, but can also be the best. If there are lots of curses in your monster deck, the clerics level 1 is amazing, and the level 5 ability is great in any deck, but especially so with curses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I'm not a fan of the current set of Avatars. The abilities are all over the place and most of them are only situationally useful.

I would rather them be more like mini-Heroes which are always present in your hand (w/ Strength, Gold Values, etc)..

I might try printing up my own version of them to use.

Example (these would need refinement, just brainstorming):

Fighter
Level 1: Physical Attack +1, Strength 5
Level 2: Physical Attack +3, Strength 7

Ranger:
Level 1: Light +1, Strength 3
Level 2: Light +2, Strength 5

Thief:
Level 1: Physical Attack +1, Gold Value 1, Strength 3
Level 2: Physical Attack +1, Gold Value 4, Strength 5

Cleric:
Level 1: Village/Dungeon: Destroy 1 Card to Draw 1 Card, Strength 3
Level 2: Magical Attack +1, Village/Dungeon: Destroy 1 Card to Draw 2 Cards, Strength 5

Wizard:
Level 1: Magical Attack +1, Strength 3
Level 2: Magical Attack +3, Strength 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love them and I thought Wizard Avatar was great when I played with it yesterday - 3 spells in the village meant that almost every time I went there, I was in the dungeon kicking butt next turn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I was of a very different valuation. I think Cleric is super powerful, Ranger and Thief good, and Wizard and Fighter situational. In the later game when level up opportunities dry up, I'd use my extra xp to wipe out any of my remaining regulars, longspears, torches, probably kobolds (if present of course), level 1 heores that i can't level up and thunderstone shards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The second level of Fighter was quite good in our second game yesterday, with Dancing Swords. The first level ability didn't ever come up, that I can recall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
barry Doublet
France
epernay
Other
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe they should have come with some avatar randomiser cards as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.