Thumb up
1 Posts

Shave a Sheep» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Wild Wool for the cut throat shepherd in you rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kent Pritchett
flag msg tools
Wild Wool (aka Shave a Sheep) is a simple game for 2 - 4 players. Usually it takes 10 to 15 minutes to play this game but sometimes it can go on much longer depending on how many times the big bad wolf shows up and what impact he has. The box recommends ages 5+ but my 3 year old plays it with me and we just let him know the choices he has after rolling the die. The game comes with the blocks to build the die, the four sheep, the big bad wolf, and 24 blocks of wool.

The object of the game is shearing the most wool off of your sheep. First your sheep needs to grow its wool and there is always the big bad wolf lerking nearby who has a fondness for wool but not the sheep itself.

On a players turn they roll the die. Some sides give you choices depending on the colour that comes up. Two sides have no choice you either add a wool block to your sheep, or two wool blocks depending on the side. The other sides give choices depending on the colours that show up. White is adding a wool block to your sheep. Green lets you trade sheep’s with another player. Although I don’t think trade is the right word, more like steal and replace. No one in their right mind would willingly trade their sheep that is producing more wool. Pink lets you shear the wool on your sheep. Once the wool is sheared it is now safe and added to your victory pile of wool. Then there is black which allows you to summon the big bad wool to tear all the wool off your neighbour’s sheep. All this wool is tossed back into the box again to be grown on any sheep, leaving your poor sheep to grow his coat all over again. The game ends when all the wool blocks are used up from the box and everyone gets a final shave then players counts the blocks of wool in their victory pile.

One of the things I like is if your sheep can grow a full coat of five blocks you get a free shave on your next turn. So there is sort of a push your luck factor in trying to get all five when you should be shearing whenever possible. If you manage to get all five your sheep will be a target for people stealing it, and the big bad wolf if stealing is not an option.

Despite being a very family friendly game there are some really cut throat actions taking place and I love it. The game doesn’t last long enough for players to stay mad at each other and they will likely play again to take revenge on their neighbouring shepherds.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.