David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
Power Grid Fan
mbmbmbmbmb
My hats off to Todd Rewoldt.

Had the pleasure of playing my first vassal battlelore game today. In fact it was my first vassal game period... I would like to give kudos to Todd. He taught me how to not only play battlelore in general, but also how to play battlelore with the war council and how to navigate within vassal. He managed to do all of this in one single 2 hour game.

It was very much appreciated on my end. Thank you Todd for being a very patient teacher and for personally making learning this game a very pleasant experience. I look forward to more games with you and others in the future.

I also have Memoir 44, Command and Colors Ancients, and Command and Colors Napoleonics, so I look forward to some games in those arenas as well (as soon as I learn how to play them of course...)

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to have you on Vassal with us David - and you're right - you couldn't have had a better person to show you the ropes there than Todd.

Look for me if you're on again, my Vassal user name is Cavie. Always looking for more people to play BL with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome, David

And, open invitation to anyone else who wants to learn BattleLore and/or Vassal - or just wants to play BL on Vassal - just send a geekmail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
Power Grid Fan
mbmbmbmbmb
Had the pleasure of playing scenarios 8 and 9 with Todd and Lurch on Vassal today.

Got to experience setting up my first war council and playing with my first creature (spider). I was slightly unimpressed by the spider (4-5 rolls with no lore and a few single hits), but I was very much impressed with the council and lore mechanics. Man, that was a lot of fun.

I was down 4 to 2 against Lurch and on the verge of defeat when I got lucky and pulled/played an assault lore card. I was able to finish off 3 of his units and then I was on the verge of victory. What a difference a turn can make.

Really enjoyed the lore and council mechanics. Added a lot of fun and surprise to the game. Will definitely keep me coming back for more. Planning on logging in early on Saturday 6-7 PST if anyone wants to give scenario 10 a try. I would like to give the lore master landmarks a go this time around. Hope to see you then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David,

Nice to see that you appreciate the war council and lore mechanics of the game - I love those aspects as well.

The more you dig into these the more I feel the game really shines. I have seen a lot of folks give up on BL before they fully explored this and end up missing out on a lot of fun.

I'll keep my eye out for you on Vassal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried loading the Battlelore module on VASSAL and got a "not a valid vassal module" error. Does this require a specific version of VASSAL to work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim W
United States
wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you download a recent version of Vassal? I got the same message with another module...I'm wondering if I need to update my Vassal Engine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim W
United States
wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw you guys playing this weekend, was going to stop by and say 'Hi', but my wife swooped down on me with chores before I could get very far into Vassal. Do you guys typically play weekend mornings? How early? Also, how long do the games take with BL on Vassal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregory,

Go to http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:BattleLore and use the 3.0 module. It is the most up to date version including all expansions, figures, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Can you run an epic BL game on Vassal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure can - usual problem is getting more than 2 people at a time on there

You can play the few 2 player Epic games. The 3.0 module includes everything.

LurchBrick did a great job taking the 2.0 module and getting everything we could on there. We've even seemed to have worked 'most' of the bugs out wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
Power Grid Fan
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregory,

I'm a newbie, so I have the latest version of vassal: (3.1.18)

http://www.vassalengine.org/index.php

I also have the 3.0 module that Cavie already mentioned. Those two worked fine for me and like Cavie said "everything" is in the 3.0, so I recommend updating your version to that.

A special thanks to LurchBrick for that. The module looks and plays great once you understand what does what. I feel like I've got a fairly good handle on it after only three games and I'm not that smart..., although I did have a good teacher :>)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
Power Grid Fan
mbmbmbmbmb
jdw1710 wrote:
I saw you guys playing this weekend, was going to stop by and say 'Hi', but my wife swooped down on me with chores before I could get very far into Vassal. Do you guys typically play weekend mornings? How early? Also, how long do the games take with BL on Vassal?

I can relate to the wife and chores... lol

I've played a couple of games with Todd around 8-9am PST (sorry not sure what that is GMT). I think he mentioned that was a little late for him as he's an hour behind us (I see you're from oregon). I think I'm going to try and check in between 6-7am this weekend. My wife is working on Saturday this week, so I may be able to play more than one game on that day:>)

I saw Cavie check in while we were playing, so he might be available around those times as well. Played Lurch around 3-4 PST. He lives in Australia, so I have no idea what time it was for him.

In regards to the time required to play, someone else may be better suited to answer this, as I'm new and just learning. but, my first game took a couple of hours. The next few were about 1.5 hours. Eventually I think I'll get it down to an hour or less. The game has a nice text messaging system in the game. Great for asking lots of questions (and believe me I was), so it took longer for me than it normally will as all that typing takes time.

I would be open to a weekday game now and then if your interested. Not sure what your schedule looks like, but a 10:00pm pst game sounds like it most likely wouldn't interfer with the wife and kids (I have some of those too). Just let me know.

Look forward to playing with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jones
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone. I'm glad you're all enjoying the latest version.

If you let me know what remaining bugs there are, I can try and fix them for the next release. I've already spotted a few things that need tidying up so let me know what you want included in the next update.

David: When we played, it was about 10am Australia Eastern time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LB,

I believe Todd has kept a list of a few things he/we've found. Shoot him an email unless he is listening in here? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erikus Maximus
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good morning everyone! I recently obtained Vassal just for BattleLore and am interested in playing as well. I'm a complete rookie (I've played a few of the scenarios of the base set. Have not yet played Vassal.) I'm also from Oregon..weekend morning seem to be good. I also do a lot of travel so evenings in CST would be fine as well. My name is the same here as it is on Vassal.

Looking forward to seeing you there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard, Erik. Missed your post until just now, but hope to see you this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
Power Grid Fan
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed your post until just now too. I live in Nevada so we're on the same time zone. That helps. Don't worry about being a newbie. I just discovered both Battlelore and Vassal around a month ago and I'm having a blast. There are some great teachers here to help you along. I still don't know everything, but I'd be glad to show you what I do know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.