$10.00
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
mbmbmbmbmb
Entertaining review, thanks guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magus And Princess wrote:

Sad thing is, Ryan really does have an "I Love Summoner Wars Dance". I just wish he did not do it in his underwear as often as he does!

Oh, man. devil

Thanks for a great review of a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. I too instantly fell in love with this game, making my Top 5 after 2 plays. Enjoy!

meeple Keep playing summoning...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, for 2 player games, Summoner Wars really rules the roost. There is no other modern 2 player competitive boardgame that offers the same amount of strategic and tactical satisfaction with such a combination of simple rules, low cost, easy setup, portability, variety and a short playtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Green archer needs food badly!
badge
I am to misbehave.
mb
Wow, great review. This format is fantastic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Melcher
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic review! I really agree that the format is nice on this one. And I would have to say that I agree on pretty much all fronts. Especially the li'l expansion boxes... I just don't know what I want to do with them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Smith
United States
Andover
Kansas
flag msg tools
GET OVER HERE!
badge
Who the @#&% was that?
mbmbmbmbmb

The mini-expansion model - Ok, I love the fact that new decks come out every few months. However, what I really hate is that they are not complete. Instead, they sell a deck then a few months later they sell an expansion that adds more cards to that specific deck. I really wish that the decks came with all the cards from the start!

As I understand it, the reinforcement decks replace cards not add to the deck. So that the number of cards is not increasing, they are options you may add some or all of depending on how you want the deck to play. Freshens up a factions options but it isn't selling you the other half of the deck. The base decks are fine as are. I haven't bought any yet but I could see checking out the ones for races I really enjoy, by no means do I feel compelled to catch 'em all.

P.S. I don't have the guild dwarves (yet) but that is one handsome fella, you gotta look good at those guild meetings I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Westberg
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review!

My gripe is that a couple of the factions seem to really need the expansion to beef them up some. I've heard this mostly about the cloaks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFlatline wrote:
Nice review!

My gripe is that a couple of the factions seem to really need the expansion to beef them up some. I've heard this mostly about the cloaks.

Sorry but that is totally not true. Been playing Cloak ever since day one. The base deck is just as strong, they just have a huge learning curve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrkurtb
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
Baoaa wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:
Nice review!

Sorry but that is totally not true. Been playing Cloak ever since day one. The base deck is just as strong, they just have a huge learning curve.

qft
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFlatline wrote:
Nice review!

If any factions "need" the reinforcements, I'd say it's Vanguard and possibly Fallen Kingdom. But then - some people say those factions are weak even with the reinforcements, so maybe you're better off not playing them unless you want a challenge.

I like some of the Cloak reinforcements, but I don't think they're needed. If anything, I wish they came with more Thieves to make a deck based around them more of a realistic possibility (same thing with the Priests in the Vanguard deck).

2 out of 14 (16 for people who've gotten Mercs and Filth) factions that some people think require reinforcements to be competitive... seems like a pretty good ratio. In general, the decks are really well constructed and balanced out of the box, and reinforcements are more just to customize and make the decks play differently rather than necessarily better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baoaa wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:
Nice review!

Oddly, after playing the base VG and FK again and having a better understanding after some deck building with the Reinforcements I feel they are rather fine. In turn, I do feel the CL are still a tad short in their base deck compared what a built deck can do (but not necessarily for the reinforcement units). What is even MORE odd, is that in the tier list I'm compiling, CL's rank goes down with more deck building than less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PePe QuiCoSE wrote:
Baoaa wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:
Nice review!

Oddly, after playing the base VG and FK again and having a better understanding after some deck building with the Reinforcements I feel they are rather fine. In turn, I do feel the CL are still a tad short in their base deck compared what a built deck can do (but not necessarily for the reinforcement units). What is even MORE odd, is that in the tier list I'm compiling, CL's rank goes down with more deck building than less.

I blame how the base deck only has 4 Thieve (with 1 already on the field)... Its just strange how it did not comes with 5 at the very least (if not 6) They can very much lower Gunner down by 1 to give us 1 more Thief. That single Thief makes a huge difference in most of the time.

Another oddity is how even if I buy 2 packs of Cloaks, I still cannot have a 10x Thieve build. How lame surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eding
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun Review, guys! I'm glad you sent me a message, Ryan! I don't know if I'd have found this geek list if you hadn't.

I like the format quite a bit. The He says/She says is great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Czerwinski
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi you two and thank you for the review.

I've had my eye on this game for some time now after watching it played but what is the best way to buy this game as a starting player who isn't ready to buy everything at first. I've seen a "Master" set and then packs of two factions each I think. Should I buy the master set and then get the other packs after or should I just buy a two faction pack and try it out with only that pack?

I guess the way they sell this game is confusing me a bit. I've never been into card games like these before so this sales model is quite a foreign concept for me.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Czerwinski
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for that quick response, I certainly didn't expect that while browsing around here on the geek tonight.

That helps a lot, now I just have to decide between option 1 or 2. I like the idea of the value in the master set, but I do have a seven year old boy who wants to play after we watched a how to play video and since you mentioned the base sets are easier to play...hmmm...decisions, decisions. Guess I'll have to sleep on it. Thank you again for the assistance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Czerwinski
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, I think I'm sold on the master set. Looking forward to your next review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Czerwinski
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Glad we could help and glad to get a new sub on our geek list! Shoot me a message and let me know what you think of Summoner Wars, hopefully you love it as much as I do![/q]

I picked up the Master Set last night at CoolStuff. This looks very cool. We should be able to play tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes.

As a bonus, I was expecting a paper mat and was surprised to open the box and see the nice board that was included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airmarkus wrote:
As a bonus, I was expecting a paper mat and was surprised to open the box and see the nice board that was included.

The master set always comes with the nice board. I think that the base version of the game also comes with a solid board now vs the crappy paper one too.

The Master Set is the base version, no? At least, I would call it the base versions. If you're talking about the reprints of the TO/PE and GD/CG boxed sets, no, they still come with a paper map. I believe it fits in the box with one less fold than the old boxes, though (I have the GD/CG original box, and the TO/PE new box). Incidentally, for holding the cards without them slopping around (assuming you're not using rubberbands or a deck box), the reprint boxes are even worse than the originals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While the Master set is technically not considered the base version since its not the origional, I would say its the "base set" in that its what any new player should probably start off with.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at. But more importantly... was just chiming in to say there are still paper mats out there. The boxes for the reprint boxed sets look big in the pictures, like they're almost as big as the Master Set box, but actually they're just a bit bigger than 1/4th the size (area-wise, that is, meaning that it's about half as big on each side...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Czerwinski
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
airmarkus wrote:

The master set always comes with the nice board. I think that the base version of the game also comes with a solid board now vs the crappy paper one too.

The Master Set is the base version, no? At least, I would call it the base versions. If you're talking about the reprints of the TO/PE and GD/CG boxed sets, no, they still come with a paper map. I believe it fits in the box with one less fold than the old boxes, though (I have the GD/CG original box, and the TO/PE new box). Incidentally, for holding the cards without them slopping around (assuming you're not using rubberbands or a deck box), the reprint boxes are even worse than the originals.

While the Master set is technically not considered the base version since its not the origional, I would say its the "base set" in that its what any new player should probably start off with.

I think I worded my post a little unclearly. I didn't mean that I got the nicer board as a bonus with the game. What I really meant was that I was unaware the master set came with the nicer board as I had watched videos of the game played on the regular mat, so it was a nice surprise to me.

Anyway, my boy and I played 2 games today and he really seemed to enjoy it. We played the Shadow Elves and the Mountain Vargath once each like you suggested. He has a long way to go when it comes to strategy, but he picked things up really quickly and surprised me with a move or two. This game will be getting a lot of plays here in the house I'm sure. I also can't wait to play it with some of my gamer friends to test my own abilities. That and there are still 4 more factions to try and this should get a lot of variety too. Awesome game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
England
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happened to the review?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the guy/gal (Magus and Princess was it) deleted everything BGG related here.

edit: even the user no longer exists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
England
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PePe QuiCoSE wrote:
I think the guy/gal (Magus and Princess was it) deleted everything BGG related here.

How intriguing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.