Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald, Erik, and Cyrus, talk games they've played, answer listener mail, and discuss the Cult of the New's cornerstone: the Hype Train.

Don and Erik review a pile of games
Rocket Jockey
Skyscrapers
The New Era
The Road to Canterbury
Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Next Generation
High Noon Saloon
The Walking Dead Board Game

Questions of the day:

What examples can you give of the HYPE TRAIN, and when has it pulled you in? Have you ever felt betrayed by the hype?

What do you call deck building games when the choices change from turn to turn? Is Donald's name for this mechanism, at least the name he'll give in public, appropriate?

Edit to add: What phrases do you associate with the show or specific hosts?

http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/obg-76-all-abord-the-hype-tra...

On Board Games is a proud member of the Dice Tower Network
RSS Feed: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
Email us: onboardgames.net@gmail.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: OBG 76: All Abord the Hype Train
You guys are so regular now I can't keep up! I remember the days when you'd forget I'd already sent stuff in!

On a serious note - awesome stuff Don, Erik and Cyrus! Great job again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On common phrase I associate with OBG is
RA!

Although this has tapered off lately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pastuzyn
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think any of the Geek lists available before Essen stoke the fires of the Hype Train. During this last runup we saw much praise heaped on Urban Sprawl, Deadwood, Quebec, MIL and Power Grid: First Sparks. All shot up in ranking initially only to to fall from grace once they were played repeatedly. They aren't bad games, just average games.

One game that pulled me in was Singapore. By description, it sounds like Caylus with a black market / underworld type of catch-up mechanism. Take more risk with opium sales and make a big short term profit. Then get out before the authorities catch up with you. Sounds intriguing. In play, though, the opium tiles aren't profitable enough to use them, so it becomes a rather pedestrian game where the optimum VP conversion links are obvious and everyone uses them. Very ho hum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hansen
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Good:
Runewars and Small World. Both games were completely off my radar and I bought them mostly blind. Great games both of them.

Bad:
I got caught up in the hype for Panic Station. 3 mo later and I haven't even played it...Shadow Hunters preemptively fired it.

Elder Sign. It was fun at first, but lost steam fast. At least my kids like it. I still have to try it with the pages upon pages of FAQ and errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Hansen wrote:

Bad:
I got caught up in the hype for Panic Station. 3 mo later and I haven't even played it...Shadow Hunters preemptively fired it.

If I didn't have post-market player aids and streamlined rules I would have thrown out my copy of Panic Station altogether. I still haven't played Shadow Hunters though, so perhaps I should check that out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Evans
United States
Stanwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost fell for the hype train for Fortune and Glory by Flying Frog productions. The game on the surface looks like a blast but after playing it a couple of times it lost a lot of its fun. Especially for a $90 price tag. Thankfully I never bought the game and went with Star Trek:Fleet Captains which I enjoy a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik and I asked about the Funfair logo on the box in the review segment. Bob Carty from Mayfair replied to let me know that Funfair is branding. The idea being that over time the Funfair logo will identify mechanically easy games for the casual gamer.

That's good to know and I think it'll be great for the industry. (And hopefully good for Mayfair as well.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
caradoc wrote:
You guys are so regular now I can't keep up! I remember the days when you'd forget I'd already sent stuff in!

On a serious note - awesome stuff Don, Erik and Cyrus! Great job again!

See what happens when I stop holding them up? They actually are able to stay on a schedule!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojtek Olejniczak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:

See what happens when I stop holding them up? They actually are able to stay on a schedule!

And is this a good or bad thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:
It's not you, it's... CYRUS! The Father Geek is a slave driver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hansen
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
Eric Hansen wrote:

Bad:

If I didn't have post-market player aids and streamlined rules I would have thrown out my copy of Panic Station altogether. I still haven't played Shadow Hunters though, so perhaps I should check that out.

As much as I want to play it, and as much as I've read the updated rules, I am scared to try it out and teach it to a group. Even as an experience game, I am nervous about how the game will go over or if it will even work the way people say it does. Right now I'm putting it in the same camp with Mansions of Madness, another game that hits a theme I love and suggests the kind of experience I enjoy. But, lucky for me, was a game I was able to play before I bought it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what I am going to say is sacrilege to 90% of the BGG community, but, while Alien Frontiers has good artwork, it was merely an OK game.

I couldn't understand the hype after playing it and was glad I got to try it first with a friend's copy before deciding not to buy it.

I still wonder whether some of the hype was people subconsciously thinking, "Wow, here is a small independent developer who managed to develop an OK game -- that's great" and then blowing it out of proportion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
MajorOracle wrote:
I know what I am going to say is sacrilege to 90% of the BGG community, but, while Alien Frontiers has good artwork, it was merely an OK game.

Burn him! But save the games!

I can understand what you are saying about Alien Frontiers, but I played a lot of games over the last couple years that I don't own. It's one of perhaps six that I wish I owned a copy of right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Anderson
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien Frontiers is the most successful game that I have introduced to my gaming group. Other successful games include Vegas Showdown, 7 Wonders and Dominion. They are not cult of the new types and would prefer playing older games that they like than a new unknown game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a small complain about the show, I like the short reviews but more or less the reviews are the same thing as the "What you've been playing", so if you talk about a game at the beggining of the show, do not review it later.

Maybe you can change the order, round table first, and mix the What you've been playing after that, and you can talk longer wich can be a review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kabutor wrote:
I have a small complain about the show, I like the short reviews but more or less the reviews are the same thing as the "What you've been playing", so if you talk about a game at the beggining of the show, do not review it later.

Maybe you can change the order, round table first, and mix the What you've been playing after that, and you can talk longer wich can be a review.

Yeah, I realized the same thing when I was listening to the final episode. That was probably an error caused by two things.

1It was a week and a half between when we recorded the two segments.
2There were different people editing the two segments.

So yeah, you've been heard and agreed with. We'll be more careful about that kind of thing in the future.

Thanks for the feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus Kirby
United States
Farmington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don has asked me to review a game or two in the future. Seriously considering reviewing Hungry Hungry Hippos and War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really dislike the word "hype", because it doesn't really mean what happens here in Board Game Land. Hype implies an artificiality, an active attempt at promotion, by people with vested interests.

That's just not the case. Folks play games, they like them a lot, they talk about them, they rate them high. There's lots of superficial "greatest game ever" and 10 ratings, but that's just natural. It's like sex with a new person in your life.

It's just enthusiasm, not hype.

MajorOracle wrote:

Heh, AF aspires to "ok", I think it's brutal. Awful, awful game that got worse each time I played it. Winners are decided by kingmaking, metagaming, and luck. Blech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fathergeek wrote:
Don has asked me to review a game or two in the future. Seriously considering reviewing Hungry Hungry Hippos and War.

And Gnip Gnop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus Kirby
United States
Farmington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
And Gnip Gnop

Sadly, I do not have access to that ball flying, button smashing action game. Although, "ball flying, button smashing action game" should really be enough for any review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Six player games that gamers can tolerate but non gamers will play
TransAmerica
Quirkle (officially plays 4, but is OK with 6)
Wits and Wagers (a party game that non party game people can live with)

Ticket to Ride is 5 players (unless you do the team Asia map)

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During the discussion of the hype train someone mentioned hearing so much about the game that is hyped that you get sick of hearing about it. I started to think how sick I am of hearing about kickstarter. I know it's not a game and it's not meant to be hyped but I'm kinda getting sick of hearing about this. I know I listen to many shows and this is a big topic of discussion in the community but figured I'd put my thoughts out there. Overall love the show and keep up the good work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Porter
United States
columbus
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
N9IWP wrote:
Six player games that gamers can tolerate but non gamers will play
TransAmerica
Quirkle (officially plays 4, but is OK with 6)
Wits and Wagers (a party game that non party game people can live with)

Ticket to Ride is 5 players (unless you do the team Asia map)

Brian

Thanks for the suggestions, and I really enjoyed the answer to my question on the show. although I do think the TSA would take offense to the sawed off shotgun, so I'll just hope we don't have a horror movie in the making.

I don't dislike all party games, I do like wits and wagers a lot. I just can't stand Apples to Apples, which is the party game of choice for most non gamers. I just can not stand that game.

I have since writing the letter purchased 7 wonders, and I already own The Resistance, which is small enough to take along easy. I think a few other card games will make the trip as well. Dilbert is a favorite of this group of friends. I also did get the game life boat for Christmas this year, but haven't had the chance to try it yet. but it is quite small so it should pack easy.

We are flying Southwest, and bags fly free, so no worries about checked baggage there. My wife was rolling in her seat while you were answering my letter. so I just want to say thanks, and that it was a lot of fun to listen to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
chazzeek wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions, and I really enjoyed the answer to my question on the show. although I do think the TSA would take offense to the sawed off shotgun, so I'll just hope we don't have a horror movie in the making.

Yeah, it's probably best to avoid weapon like objects. One of the reasons I did not suggest Pass the Bomb or Le Boomb.

chazzeek wrote:
I also did get the game life boat for Christmas this year, but haven't had the chance to try it yet. but it is quite small so it should pack easy.

I was talking about Lifeboats, and I don't think that's the one you are talking about.

chazzeek wrote:
We are flying Southwest, and bags fly free, so no worries about checked baggage there. My wife was rolling in her seat while you were answering my letter. so I just want to say thanks, and that it was a lot of fun to listen to.
Tell her we said hello! What did she think about the Amazon box idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.