Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got TSA yesterday with the Avatars expansion, played a random setup. One of the monster groups gave out curses based on whether or not you had a certain hero class in play at the time. So the question was, since the Avatar represents yourself, if "you" are a Fighter (or whatever other class of hero), and the card is in play in front of you (with the Fighter keyword at the top of the card), does that count to keep you from getting a Curse in this instance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
designer
pk2317 wrote:
Just got TSA yesterday with the Avatars expansion, played a random setup. One of the monster groups gave out curses based on whether or not you had a certain hero class in play at the time. So the question was, since the Avatar represents yourself, if "you" are a Fighter (or whatever other class of hero), and the card is in play in front of you (with the Fighter keyword at the top of the card), does that count to keep you from getting a Curse in this instance?

Interesting. I would guess not, because an avatar isn't a hero. But at the same time, it does say "Fighter Level 1", as if the player is a level 1 hero.

But if the ruling allows this, then so too should it allow the destruction of the avatar if a monster would destroy a fighter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Boisvert
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hero cards are BLUE cards according to the rules. so the regular is and any other card with a BLUE card frame. The rules also specify that any card with a BROWN frame are special cards not hero cards.

My own opinion is that the avatar being a special card is not a hero per say so any card or rule referring to hero should not affect or take into account an avatar unless the wording is referring only to the level or only to the class or level not hero associated with level.

beside, avatar level is only a measure of the cards power, it would be ackward to level up a card from/to no level but to get more power would'nt it

my thoughts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsson
United States
Des Moines
Washington
flag msg tools
I'm assuming you're talking about the djinn monsters.

I'd say it would count. The Djinn give you a curse unless you have *blank* in play where the blank is a class. They never mention anything about heros or your hand. Since your avatar card is in play, and it has a class keyword, I'd say it would count, or rather I see no reason it wouldn't count(I suppose you could argue that your avatar card isn't "in play" but I don't think that is right).

To sum up:

Card is looking for a card with a certain keyword in play, you have a card with that keyword in play, it doesn't really matter what type of card it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Croft
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the Avatar was you and as such, not 'in play'.

Yes it gives you the special abilities - but no, it is not considered to be a Hero of any type.

Maybe I read it wrong.

I'm sure we will get an official answer.

Bortz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Alves
Portugal
Setubal
Setubal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, i believe that when the Avatars Expansion is out for selling, the official rules or Faq will come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, what if you're playing with classic cards and go up against a monster that destroys a Fighter as a Battle effect, and your Avatar is the only card that qualifies? Are you, as the player, effectively killed and out of the game immediately?

I'm guessing the intention of the Avatars is to give a slightly different edge to each of the players, if only for a little variety. Considering them "Heroes" as defined in game terms is taking things almost a bit too literally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
designer
chindent wrote:
So, what if you're playing with classic cards and go up against a monster that destroys a Fighter as a Battle effect, and your Avatar is the only card that qualifies? Are you, as the player, effectively killed and out of the game immediately?

I'm guessing the intention of the Avatars is to give a slightly different edge to each of the players, if only for a little variety. Considering them "Heroes" as defined in game terms is taking things almost a bit too literally.

If we go strictly on keywords, the Avatars don't have the 'Hero' keyword, so we're safe there. But the original example is talking about the keyword 'Fighter', which an Avatar does have (it also has Level). So that's what makes it ambiguous to me. Is my avatar really a Fighter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting--since there are other monster types that destroy Heroes based on level (I'm thinking Humanoid-Cultists at the moment), would an Avatar be susceptible in those cases, too, since it is a Level 1 Hero?

Perhaps the strategy is to sacrifice your Avatar benefit later in the game when it becomes less useful and protect your other Hero cards? Of course, that makes it added insurance that you wouldn't otherwise have, so is that fair in itself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
designer
chindent wrote:
Interesting--since there are other monster types that destroy Heroes based on level (I'm thinking Humanoid-Cultists at the moment), would an Avatar be susceptible in those cases, too, since it is a Level 1 Hero?

Perhaps the strategy is to sacrifice your Avatar benefit later in the game when it becomes less useful and protect your other Hero cards? Of course, that makes it added insurance that you wouldn't otherwise have, so is that fair in itself?

Again, I think the absence of the keyword "Hero" on the avatar card would be the determining factor. A Level 1 Avatar is not a Level 1 Hero. So that rules out being targeted by monsters who target heroes, and it rules out interaction with the following cards:
Cyclone
Soul Gem
Recurve Bow
Veteran Trainer
Snakehead Flail
Veteran Warmonger
Whetmage (any incarnation)

Power Word: Kill, on the other hand, seems to be fair game for Cleric and Wizard avatars, as it doesn't mention heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I just happened to check out the Thunderstone Avatars BGG entry and the first line of the description reads:

Quote:
A 25 card expansion that adds variable player powers to Thunderstone.

For simplicity's sake, maybe they are supposed to be no more than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
designer
See also: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/779016/immune-keyword-an...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
designer
Ruling here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8799190#8799190

slaqr wrote:
Your avatar cannot (currently) be targeted in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.