United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: this thread has gotten very long, and in case you don't want to go through it all here is a synopsis - I make laser cut stuff, custom and not. You can read about it in this thread, or my blog at teleology.com. I sell stuff in my store at teleology.com/shop/, but if you read about it here, make sure you let me know if you buy something so BGG can get its share. Thanks!

The laser cutter arrived today, and I got it out of the box

Very big and very heavy, and covered with styrofoam balls. Inside it was packed to the brim with other stuff, so I ended up with

I didn't want to be breathing acrylic fumes, so I paid extra care with the exhaust duct

The thing is water cooled, so that needed to be set up

And then I was ready to cut!

Well, almost. When I tried it, it started to burn it's own wires out with the laser. It turns out it had become badly misaligned during shipping. The beam was aimed straight into the guts of the thing.

So, a hour or two later, I was ready to try paper

And then onto acrylic

So the tests worked, now for the work others want me to do.

I set up the sheet for hexes, 3/4" from flat to flat (0.433" radius)

and they came out OK!

I got 130 of these hexes from a single sheet, and I bet I could get that up to almost 140. Ended up being $13 for the sheet, and that includes my amount to try to recoup the cost of the machine.

I did learn some lessons. The first is that it isn't a hands off process. People need help with the graphics. If I end up doing a lot of that, I'd probably want to add a few dollars for my time, but then again the more I do of it, the more things I will have at hand.

More importantly, the fumes need to be cleared out better. I'm typing this with a headache from acrylic fumes. I'm going to get a mask from Home Depot tomorrow before I finish up the first job. And I'm going to tighten the seals around the vents with more Hello Kitty duct tape. I'll also install a fan in another window to vent room air out faster.

I have ordered another load of acrylic, so I'm ready to take on whatever you guys throw at me. It does take a while to cut these things, though, I can't imagine doing more than four or five sheets a night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, where do you think I should post this? General gaming forum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! I may have to get some stuff done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Rethorn
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you be able to make something similar to what is discussed here for Eclipse? I don't think a box is necessary, but a tray to keep the cubes in order would be great.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/755740/3d-printed-population...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremie geggus
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That is one nice looking new toy. I'm looking at getting some 1" and 2" circles done. I'd like to get them cut in transparent acrylic - Clear, Deep Red, and maybe a Smokey Grey.

How clean are the edges on the pieces you've cut, so far?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
I would call it medium clean.

I'll switch lenses on my camera later today, and get a close up.

wormwoode wrote:
That is one nice looking new toy. I'm looking at getting some 1" and 2" circles done. I'd like to get them cut in transparent acrylic - Clear, Deep Red, and maybe a Smokey Grey.

How clean are the edges on the pieces you've cut, so far?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe I can make two sheets, one with square holes, and one not, then use acrylic weld glue to put them together for the same effect. My icehouse volcano board was made like that, and works well.

I will try it when my plastic arrives on the 13th. From the thread, it looks like clear would be the best material, yes?

emperorhand wrote:
Would you be able to make something similar to what is discussed here for Eclipse? I don't think a box is necessary, but a tray to keep the cubes in order would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If that is no secret, how much did the whole rig cost you and what components do you currently have and/or plan to purchase later (given you need them)?

I have checked the prices on their site, but would like to get a rough estimate for an end-product...

Of course this is in no way achievable for instance for me, as the shipping is around +500 USD to Europe whistle But still...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your laser may not be aligned/focused well enough; better alignment means narrower beam means less fumes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
bengkohn wrote:

I'm going to get a mask from Home Depot tomorrow before I finish up the first job.

I don't know how aware of this you are, but be careful when you purchase that mask to get one with adequate filters, and check that the filters are still in date. The respirators they sell here in the UK in DIY shops tend to be half for painting, half for sawdust... and the sawdust ones are probably pretty useless for acrylic fumes.

You want to make sure you get one with adequate organics filtering, basically. I don't know if you use the same standard in the US, but the one we use here means you'd need a mask rated A (for organics filtering) and preferrably an A2 or A3 (medium to good filtering) rather than an A1 (minimum filtering). A large number of masks I see in DIY places here are rated P2 (medium particulate filtering) - which is great for sawdust, not so great for plastic fumes or solvents or whatever.

(IMO it's worth buying a name-brand for a respirator - 3M or JSP, for example - so it's easier to find replacement filters.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
Only a dragon to see here. Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than a filter mask, you want a gas mask.

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
I may have overstated. I am pretty happy at the current level.

I would say I am getting "odor" but not much more. The alignment is (finally) pretty much dead center through the whole system, and the focus is set for the height of the working material.

Nonetheless, less odor would be even better, so I'm going to improve venting.

mrraow wrote:
Your laser may not be aligned/focused well enough; better alignment means narrower beam means less fumes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the format of the graphics you require?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
bengkohn wrote:

I would say I am getting "odor" but not much more.

Melting most plastics will give off toxic fumes, and if you can smell them, then they're already inside your body and they're dangerous. Just because you're not choking or coming out in a rash doesn't mean it's not worth doing something before it's too late! IIRC acrylic is one of the safer ones, but that doesn't mean it's safe - it's worth getting an organics-filtering respirator.

(I don't personally think a full gas mask is necessary, as it goes, but it's definitely the safest option.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
I got an organic filter mask, so onward!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
.svg from inkscape is the easiest. I am going to try a pdf as soon as I get this one job out.

Geosphere wrote:
What is the format of the graphics you require?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would imagine any vector file would work.
P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, as long as I can read it.

Phil of Mars wrote:
P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bengkohn wrote:

Phil of Mars wrote:
P
Can your software import EPS or AI files?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Durango
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this one of the cutter's from China that are offerred on e-bay all the time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
No, US company in Las Vegas.

Fslaser.com

blockhead wrote:
Is this one of the cutter's from China that are offerred on e-bay all the time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to get the inline laser pointer so that the aiming dot and the laser coincide exactly.

Rotary engraver would be nice, too.

All the prices are on their site, I got the air compressor.

Joeyeti wrote:
If that is no secret, how much did the whole rig cost you and what components do you currently have and/or plan to purchase later (given you need them)?

I have checked the prices on their site, but would like to get a rough estimate for an end-product...

Of course this is in no way achievable for instance for me, as the shipping is around +500 USD to Europe whistle But still...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
According to what I just looked up, yes. ai more easily than eps it seems.

martimer wrote:
bengkohn wrote:

Phil of Mars wrote:
P
Can your software import EPS or AI files?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
Several people have asked about the edges of the cuts, so here are some pictures to help. Plus one my daughter wanted me to include, I leave the determination of which one that is as an exercise for the reader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
emperorhand wrote:

I made this:

needs a little work, but good for a prototype. I'd engrave the numbers and rub crayon over them next time instead of trying to cut them to look cool and futurish.

posted them here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8685787
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.