Recommend
155 
 Thumb up
 Hide
376 Posts
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [16] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Laser Cutter online! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm getting the hang of the picture thing.

Here is an example of how sharp the engraving lines can be. The Pandemic tokens are kind of organic in shape, so you can't really see.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Jones
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Don't know if this has been answered already, but I didn't see a post on it so a few pointers on care and feeding of lasers.

1 - if your laser has an air-assist, use it, it will make the cuts cleaner

2 - don't know what kind of blower you are using to evacuate the air, but you need a decent flow rate. We've been using the blower off a Grizzly dust collector for years and it works like a champ. If you can, mount the blower at the end of your exhaust line not at the laser end - this will create more of a pull for the fumes to the outside. It's the same idea as a downdraft table for sawdust removal when sanding.

3 - your laser is water cooled - make sure you never run out of water or you will burn it out quickly - depending on how hot it runs you may want to not just keep it full, but change out for cold water every now and then to keep the temperature of the unit down. We use an air-cooled laser in part because of all the horror stories we heard about water cooled ones - but it seems like they've gotten better over the years. You might also want to keep one of those aquarium style pumps ready as a replacement if your water pump goes.

4 - the people talking about serious masks are right regarding acrylic fumes - there are only certain types of plastic that should be used with lasers - acrylic is one of them - cutting certain types of plastic (vinyl, PVC, others) can create toxic fumes - make sure your plastic is acrylic. If you are smelling acrylic fumes in your work area then you have a leak in your exhaust system - check it out and fix it quick.
It's not a bad idea to ventilate your work area every now and then if you're in an enclosed space when running your laser.

5 - cutting power is as much about focus and the laser as it is about how clean the lens is. Don't overclean or you will be buying new lenses more often than you need to. It pays to get an industrial lens cleaner - they're cheap and better than anything off the shelf at Home Depot.

6 - angled cuts? There is a way, but it's not easy and it's not intuitive. It's also not fast since you are effectively cutting a thicker piece of material when you place it an angle.

Have fun with your laser - you'll be surprised at just how versatile it can be once you get to know it.





12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the advice!

I always use the air assist. And I bought a 4" boat bilge fan and hooked it up to the exhaust line to draw. I haven't smelled acrylic since I hooked it up. Water pumps starts 5 minutes before use, and stays on until the thermometer reads reeasonable. I keep frozen bottles on hand in case the temp goes too high.

What is the non-intuitive method of angle cutting?

bluepantherllc wrote:
Don't know if this has been answered already, but I didn't see a post on it so a few pointers on care and feeding of lasers.

1 - if your laser has an air-assist, use it, it will make the cuts cleaner

2 - don't know what kind of blower you are using to evacuate the air, but you need a decent flow rate. We've been using the blower off a Grizzly dust collector for years and it works like a champ. If you can, mount the blower at the end of your exhaust line not at the laser end - this will create more of a pull for the fumes to the outside. It's the same idea as a downdraft table for sawdust removal when sanding.

3 - your laser is water cooled - make sure you never run out of water or you will burn it out quickly - depending on how hot it runs you may want to not just keep it full, but change out for cold water every now and then to keep the temperature of the unit down. We use an air-cooled laser in part because of all the horror stories we heard about water cooled ones - but it seems like they've gotten better over the years. You might also want to keep one of those aquarium style pumps ready as a replacement if your water pump goes.

4 - the people talking about serious masks are right regarding acrylic fumes - there are only certain types of plastic that should be used with lasers - acrylic is one of them - cutting certain types of plastic (vinyl, PVC, others) can create toxic fumes - make sure your plastic is acrylic. If you are smelling acrylic fumes in your work area then you have a leak in your exhaust system - check it out and fix it quick.
It's not a bad idea to ventilate your work area every now and then if you're in an enclosed space when running your laser.

5 - cutting power is as much about focus and the laser as it is about how clean the lens is. Don't overclean or you will be buying new lenses more often than you need to. It pays to get an industrial lens cleaner - they're cheap and better than anything off the shelf at Home Depot.

6 - angled cuts? There is a way, but it's not easy and it's not intuitive. It's also not fast since you are effectively cutting a thicker piece of material when you place it an angle.

Have fun with your laser - you'll be surprised at just how versatile it can be once you get to know it.





2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan R
Brazil
São Roque
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bengkohn wrote:
I'm thinking 40 small or 20 large for $5. Get them quickly before I realize my math error!

tequila_j wrote:
bengkohn wrote:


Boom! Boom! Boom!




Marvelous!


Unfortunatelly, I live in the wrong country.... cry
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
Shipping for quite a few of these unassembled would be $17 to most countries.

tequila_j wrote:
Unfortunatelly, I live in the wrong country.... cry
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AKQJX
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bengkohn wrote:
Shipping for quite a few of these unassembled would be $17 to most countries.

tequila_j wrote:
Unfortunatelly, I live in the wrong country.... cry

Since you are going to be mailing most of your pieces maybe it's more cost effective to use the thinner materials to keep weight down?

Another bit of info that would be handy is if you could post links to what materials you stock or have access to that the laser can cut.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zhe Leng
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some much better explosion marker designs.

Like this one:

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1243459/the-devils-cauldron-t...

How much do you think it will be, if you make it?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I've been waiting for someone to ask me about litko stuff. I have tried to stay away from looking at their designs since I started my laser cutting .

From what I saw, you are more interested in a 2.5D explosion marker with varying colors. I'll work something up, and get you a price.

lengzhe wrote:
There are some much better explosion marker designs.

Like this one:

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1243459/the-devils-cauldron-t...

How much do you think it will be, if you make it?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
Some "news" items.

The first is that the Arkham Horror less expensive skill trays are now available. $4 each, and that includes three skill markers in any color I have, default of the green in the picture.



And I have been working on finalizing my Antiquity token sets. Note that in the picture stone is not grey. I ran out of grey, more is on the way.



The tokens are 0.75" (except the pearl, which is 0.6") to fit in the 0.8" Antiquity hexes. An entire set of 48 of each is $70. Individual sets are $7.50.

The whole process has been like eating lucky charms:
ivory pearls,
green olives,
brown wood logs,
blue fish,
yellow gold,
orange grain,
red wine,
purple dye,
white sheep,
limited edition pale white stone!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Z.
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question on the Arkham Tracker - would it be possible to make it a slider?

Basically you have the oval have a dip/routed out part and a reverse of that on the clear plastic so you just slide it back and forth. Hard to desscribe in words...

Like this:
XXXXXXX
-------X-----X--
----------------


- = clear
x = tracker thing.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so, because the tracks of the three skill sets overlap, so how would the markers pass each other? I thought about this. It is the overlap that makes so many things difficult.

The only solutions I can think of start getting the tray into the $10 each range that no one was happy about when I did the magnet things!

For example, you could make a slider in the middle of each track, and make a piece that is a flat, clear "rod" that has a green part, like this:

----------GGGG--------|

the sticking up part would be a knob to slide it. Then you slide the green part to the numbers you want (it would go between them to indicate what set is in use).

That would be doable, but again, cost is the issue. Additionally, I've spend many, many hours on the skill trays, and no one seems excited about them except me

Necromancyr wrote:
Question on the Arkham Tracker - would it be possible to make it a slider?

Basically you have the oval have a dip/routed out part and a reverse of that on the clear plastic so you just slide it back and forth. Hard to desscribe in words...

Like this:
XXXXXXX
-------X-----X--
----------------


- = clear
x = tracker thing.



2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Glave
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them and think they are a great idea. However, Arkham Horror is not a game I care to play really.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
That's probably only because you don't have laser cut skill trays!

Alphawog wrote:
I like them and think they are a great idea. However, Arkham Horror is not a game I care to play really.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zhe Leng
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it would be inappropriate to copy their design. But I guess using the 2.5D multi-color marker idea is still OK.

bengkohn wrote:
Ah, I've been waiting for someone to ask me about litko stuff. I have tried to stay away from looking at their designs since I started my laser cutting .

From what I saw, you are more interested in a 2.5D explosion marker with varying colors. I'll work something up, and get you a price.

lengzhe wrote:
There are some much better explosion marker designs.

Like this one:

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1243459/the-devils-cauldron-t...

How much do you think it will be, if you make it?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Doughty
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Price is always going to be the driving force on "tricking out" a board game (for myself and I would assume many others).

My group plays two or three different games every session and only on the rare weeks when there is nothing new to play do we tend to return to one of our favorites. I'm hoping to find some time this weekend to thumb through our repeat games to see if there is anything I can come up with to have made to improve or enhance one of them.

You are obviously learning the skills to make the request. Now it's all about staying in the limelight until others find way to put you to use or continue to wow us with your new prototypes to inspire us!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Z.
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bengkohn wrote:
I don't think so, because the tracks of the three skill sets overlap, so how would the markers pass each other? I thought about this. It is the overlap that makes so many things difficult.


Good point - I didn't think of that or notice it. Actually had to go back and look at the picture. I like them though - think it's useful. What might be nice is if there was a slider for health/sanity as well on the right or something maybe. I know that last time I played with new players the things were all over the damn place.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario De Super
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you make dice? Or, can you get dice "blanks" and then engrave them?

BTW, I just started looking at this thread finally and WOW! I think it's great that you are offering your services to this community without charging an arm and a leg. Kudos!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the limelight is the big issue.

I'm so tempted to post in this thread: Pennygems Kickstarter, but I think it would be a horrible breach of etiquette. I think there are a lot of people out there who would be interested, but I need to reach them. And then sell my marketing plan to others and get rich!


TinFoil wrote:
Price is always going to be the driving force on "tricking out" a board game (for myself and I would assume many others).

My group plays two or three different games every session and only on the rare weeks when there is nothing new to play do we tend to return to one of our favorites. I'm hoping to find some time this weekend to thumb through our repeat games to see if there is anything I can come up with to have made to improve or enhance one of them.

You are obviously learning the skills to make the request. Now it's all about staying in the limelight until others find way to put you to use or continue to wow us with your new prototypes to inspire us!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, I believe I can engrave dice. Here are the issues:

(1) I must be sure the dice are acrylic. I don't think this is a big deal, as the first search I did came up with 16mm blank acrylic dice from many sources, for as little as $0.03 each. In quantities of 20,000.

(2) I need to make a frame to hold the dice in position. You know a good machine to make this sort of frame? A laser cutter. Got that covered.

(3) Here comes the problem. Alignment. The part that aligns the laser head really precisely costs $300. HOWEVER!!! Someone made one that supposedly does as good a job for $7.80 in parts. I ordered the parts and they arrive in about 2 weeks from China.

If the alignment works not only will I be able to do dice, but also counter sheets!

mariogolbee wrote:
Can you make dice? Or, can you get dice "blanks" and then engrave them?

BTW, I just started looking at this thread finally and WOW! I think it's great that you are offering your services to this community without charging an arm and a leg. Kudos!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, WHY DO I NOT LIVE...

Oh crud... crycrycrycrycrycrycrycrycrycry

This all sounds SO exciting with all the possibilities... Wish I were single with my current job, then I could afford such a thing perhaps...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario De Super
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! Perhaps we can get some "group buy" or batch orders on different dice, so that you only have to set up a handful of times.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave P
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just about to ask about counter sheets.

I assume it'll cut chipboard/cardboard without burning, but it isn't precise enough right now without the upgrade?

-Dave
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. It cuts, but I can't line it up without the upgrade.

-Brad

tivowatcher wrote:
I was just about to ask about counter sheets.

I assume it'll cut chipboard/cardboard without burning, but it isn't precise enough right now without the upgrade?

-Dave
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Doughty
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can it cut chipboard? I would think it would not do well. That being said, if it can, that would open up some additional opportunities.

Edit: Well, there ya go (see above)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Things I would also add to my order..

Victory point markers for Puerto Rico?

Maybe also the coins?

Sheriff and Bailiff in Caylus?

Various commodities in Le Havre?

Doomsday clock for Twilight Struggle?

Species markers in Dominant Species?

(Elements would also be cool)?


Hex tile holders for Steam?



3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [16] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.