Strategy Games» Forums » General

Subject: Help With New Game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jess Smart Smiley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
My brother and I are putting together a prototype of our upcoming board game, "Stump the Rumpus." It's chess with a spin, where each piece moves in the directions indicated on each playing square.

I'm a professional graphic designer and illustrator and am working on the design of the game board and pieces, and my brother is putting together a marketing campaign to spread the word. We plan on launching the game on Kickstarter in the next few weeks and I wanted to give everyone at Board Game Geek a head's up. This is my first time posting on the forum, but I've heard from site after site, podcast after podcast, and person after person, that this is the place to share the news and get feedback.

I'm curious: what have you liked about board game projects on Kickstarter in the past? Are there any rewards that you prefer over others, or are there certain visual aesthetics that you find more appealing?

I really want to connect with my fellow gamers and make "Stump the Rumpus" something we can all enjoy and be a part of.

Thanks for your help!
((( jess smart smiley )))
http://www.jess-smiley.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwarf Bashful the 6th
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Good luck with your Kickstarter campaign!

I do not know how well you did your research for the project, but I think you and your brother may find this helpful
http://www.slideshare.net/Tasty_Minstrel_Games/become-a-kick...

The other thing is, if you can share a link to your Board Game Geek web of the game it would be awesome! If you do not have one - I would recommend you to make it.

And if you are curious of what do others think about Kiskstarter, check the http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/8374/kickstarter Forum section. There is a lot of interesting stuff going on!

One more time - thumbs up and good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess Smart Smiley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Hi, Dwarf! Thanks for the thoughtful feedback

I've listened closely to every single episode of the Funding the Dream podcast, and have been following the Purple Pawn website, keeping up-to-date on statistics and facts about the board game space on Kickstarter. Both resources have pointed heavily toward Board Game Geek and it's nice to already feel welcome in the forums.

After reading through the Tasty Minstrel presentation, I feel like our project is firing on all cylinders, with the exception of an emotional impact on the viewer. We'll have to spend some time thinking about how best to share our story. Hmm...

I'm not sure what you mean by my "Board Game Geek web of the game" - are you talking about a version of my game on this site? Is there a way for me to post my game, or are you talking about something else? (sorry, I'm a total noob here )

Last of all: thanks again for your help! The link to the forums on Kickstarter are just what I've been looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwarf Bashful the 6th
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jesssmartsmiley wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by my "Board Game Geek web of the game" - are you talking about a version of my game on this site? Is there a way for me to post my game, or are you talking about something else? (sorry, I'm a total noob here )

Hi, I am glad if I could help. And yes - I am talking about Board Game Geek page of your game. You and others may find it helpful and more serious if you register it, even if it's a prototype version still. I think the best for you would be at first have a look on the 'The Hotness' list and see how other games are set in here. Then you can create your own introduction of the game. And you can always contact some designer to help you out with setting up the page. If you will have difficulties - send me a PM and we will find a way
(Just in case you are still lost and you will struggle with finding your way to send private message to me, here is a tip - you have to click on the tiny envelop on my avatar and write )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.