Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garth M
Australia
Wagga Wagga
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As I understood it, the official iOS version of Dominion was going to be released in Q1 2012. We're coming to the end of March... has anyone heard anything? Do we have a release date yet? Or an estimated release date?

Really looking forward to it. Have been playing the unofficial version to death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You do realize we are at the beginning of march right? Still in the single digits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
georgeofjungle3 wrote:
You do realize we are at the beginning of march right? Still in the single digits.

But he is on the other side of the International Date Line - a day closer to the release date than us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V. Romero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
georgeofjungle3 wrote:

S/he's obviously from the near future.
Think with portals. Time portals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha ha ha. These are all funny.

WHERE'S THE GAME?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
romevi86 wrote:
georgeofjungle3 wrote:

Are you familiar with this contraption?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth M
Australia
Wagga Wagga
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We are approaching the end of March - it's only a few weeks away!

But I see how you could read it.

Anyway - any news on the official iOS version? I'm playing the free unofficial one to death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V. Romero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nbread wrote:
romevi86 wrote:
georgeofjungle3 wrote:

Are you familiar with this contraption?

But where do the crystals go? The Doc can use that one, but how about this one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth M
Australia
Wagga Wagga
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Seriously, does nobody have any idea?

Don't the developers hang out on this forum sometimes? Could they please give us an update?

Is March still possible, or will it almost certainly slip later?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Garth M wrote:

Don't the developers hang out on this forum sometimes? Could they please give us an update?

Is March still possible, or will it almost certainly slip later?

If I were you, I'd operate under the assumption that it's vaporware unless proven otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Garth M wrote:

A select number of people do know but the info on this project is pretty tightly controlled (which I guess is kind of obvious judging by this and other threads ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the meantime the free Android app has tens of thousands of downloads, the app that shows up in the iOS store as "Dominion by Donald X. Vaccarino" has over 1500 ratings with an average score better than 4.5/5.0, and Isotropic logs over 15,000 games a day.

This app (which may or may not be vaporware) definitely has an uphill battle if it intends to successfully displace these other platforms.

Sure, Isotropic will go away as soon as it's released (as per the agreement between the shadowy developers and RGG), but how long before this app is seeing 15,000 daily online multiplayer games? How many people who already have a Dominion app installed are going to shell out for the pay version even if they won't get any new updates for their existing app?

Finally, I'll raise a question that might be heretical in these parts: has this app missed the boat? Is Dominion past its popularity apex?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HappyProle wrote:

Sure, Isotropic will go away as soon as it's released (as per the agreement between the shadowy developers and RGG), but how long before this app is seeing 15,000 daily online multiplayer games? How many people who already have a Dominion app installed are going to shell out for the pay version even if they won't get any new updates for their existing app?

Depends on the price, but if they sell the expansions as in-app purchases I think people will forget about the unofficial app pretty quickly.

Considering how much we've already spent on the physical game, and how much people spend on storage solutions and sleeves and what have you, what's a few more bucks for an official Dominion app?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth M
Australia
Wagga Wagga
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As long as they don't go overboard, I'll be buying all the expansions.

I am enjoying the unofficial app, but it's only the base game.

Hope the full version includes all the features of the free one, including keeping track of average scores, high scores, win/loss etc. And hope it has a similarly similar interface to the card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth M
Australia
Wagga Wagga
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
blindspot wrote:
Garth M wrote:

A select number of people do know but the info on this project is pretty tightly controlled (which I guess is kind of obvious judging by this and other threads ).

That seems a bit silly - you'd think they could at least give us an idea what sort of a time-frame we're looking at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Garth M wrote:
blindspot wrote:
Garth M wrote:

That seems a bit silly - you'd think they could at least give us an idea what sort of a time-frame we're looking at.
The impression that I get is that something has gone wrong - probably quality issues. Jay said a month or two ago that they were doing the testing and it would be 'soon'. I suspect things have not gone as he expected - which may be that his expectations were wrong (no real sign that they know how to do a launch of something like this), or that they have hit a series of quality/usability issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
The impression that I get is that something has gone wrong - probably quality issues. Jay said a month or two ago that they were doing the testing and it would be 'soon'. I suspect things have not gone as he expected - which may be that his expectations were wrong (no real sign that they know how to do a launch of something like this), or that they have hit a series of quality/usability issues.

This seems the most likely explanation to me as well. If true, it at least means that Rio Grande is committed to releasing a quality product. On the other hand, I'm not sure what they were thinking signing on with this shadow developer. I'm worried that the conversation went something like this.

Rio Grande: So, you're interested in developing the digital version of Dominion?

Shadow Developer: Yes, but we have some conditions. First, isotropic will have to be removed once we release the game. Second, only we may make any substantive announcements about the game. Third, you pay us by the hour.

Rio Grande: Sounds good! Here's some money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say, my confidence in this version being good has plummeted as time passes and no new information comes, along with a sense that Donald and RGG have almost washed their hands of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullwinkle wrote:
I have to say, my confidence in this version being good has plummeted as time passes and no new information comes, along with a sense that Donald and RGG have almost washed their hands of it.

I think that the longer it takes right now, the better. I wish they had selected Playdek or someone like that to make it as they apparently know what they are doing. Guess it's still possible they did select playdek and we somehow don't know that. But either way, if it's not ready, don't release it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullwinkle wrote:

What's this now? When did that happen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mugs wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:

What's this now? When did that happen?

I think it's just because they never talk about it. Donald has said that the developers are insisting that they make all announcements regarding the game. That's awfully convenient for them, considering we don't even know who they are and for all we know they're making zero progress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:

I think that the longer it takes right now, the better. I wish they had selected Playdek or someone like that to make it as they apparently know what they are doing. Guess it's still possible they did select playdek and we somehow don't know that. But either way, if it's not ready, don't release it.

There are two main sources of uncertainty here, how good the developers are and how well they're executing this project relative to their ability. The longer it takes, the better I think they're executing relative to my ever-worsening estimate of their ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreedyAlgorithm wrote:
Neo42 wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:

There are two main sources of uncertainty here, how good the developers are and how well they're executing this project relative to their ability. The longer it takes, the better I think they're executing relative to my ever-worsening estimate of their ability.

Additionally, the fact that they don't know how to handle press releases or even letting information/screenshots out is a big blow to whatever professionalism they might have.

At this point, the only way to save face is to release a kick ass product. I hope the delays (are they really delays if we have no idea when they're coming apart from "really soon"?) are indicative of more work being done to make it perfect. But without any kind of indicator that said work is even being done, they're not building consumer confidence.

I can't wait for this to be awesome, in all honesty. I really, really hope they're putting together an amazing package. At this point, I have no confidence in that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullwinkle wrote:
At this point, the only way to save face is to release a kick ass product. I hope the delays (are they really delays if we have no idea when they're coming apart from "really soon"?) are indicative of more work being done to make it perfect. But without any kind of indicator that said work is even being done, they're not building consumer confidence.

I can't wait for this to be awesome, in all honesty. I really, really hope they're putting together an amazing package. At this point, I have no confidence in that.

I don't speak for RGG and I don't speak for the developer. I will not address their approach to marketing and promotion. I have, however, talked with at least one person from the developer. You won't get any information out of me because I can't give it.

I don't think I'm committing any violation to say, however, that work is being done and I have laid eyes on some of it. I'll just say that as a close follower and professional blogger of all things related to mobile and tablet card and board gaming experiences, that I am excited for what is coming. As just one news conduit, I can tell you that when I and others are eventually given some information that I am allowed to share, I most certainly will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:

I don't speak for RGG and I don't speak for the developer. I will not address their approach to marketing and promotion. I have, however, talked with at least one person from the developer. You won't get any information out of me because I can't give it.

I don't think I'm committing any violation to say, however, that work is being done and I have laid eyes on some of it. I'll just say that as a close follower and professional blogger of all things related to mobile and tablet card and board gaming experiences, that I am excited for what is coming. As just one news conduit, I can tell you that when I and others are eventually given some information that I am allowed to share, I most certainly will.

Even this little post helps, and it's unbelievable that you and others are not allowed to post anything that might encourage those of us who are ready to throw up their hands.

Don't get me wrong, if the game is even as decent as the recent unofficial release, I'm sure I'd still get it. But Dominion has gained such a level of respect from the community that I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting the app to be something spectacular.

And as I said, the inability to handle the release of infomation is souring my anticipation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.