Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Fro
United States
Buffalo
United States
flag msg tools
admin
I just want to say, God, on behalf of all of us thank you for all of the good things we do in your name, like charity and forgiveness. That’s an idea we would never come up with. That’s for sure. You know that better than anybody.
mb
Hey there! Congrats! Sto Lat! Stop by FTL and I will tell you the story of trying sliwowica in the seminary!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
HYPERBOLE! It's like the greatest thing ever!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

BTW, I adore Prêt-à-Porter and have been playing the heck out of it. I love hard-edged economic games, and this one fits that bill like few others. (My only grousing is that I wish I thought of it first!) Hopefully it breaks into the Top 100 now that it's available in the US. But, I have to ask, honestly, beyond what you stated in the blog, what really made you pick the Fashion Industry for this wonderful, little business sim?

And, BTW, thanks for that. My girlfriend also adores the game, so a big thumbs up.

Also, are planning to explore any other unusual (untouched, barely touched) aspects of life for your upcoming games? Because if any of them are economic games with that same edge, I'm there.

Enjoy your week and I look forward to playing more of your games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kuster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stronghold is one of my favorites and all your other titles are great as well, here's to you Ignacy, GW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another question occurred to me:

Since besides boardgames, you are also very interested in football, are there any boardgames about football that you like playing?

Have you tried designing a boardgame about football?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
btw i'm maja
Finland
Pori
Finland
flag msg tools
Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colours. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving. Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations and enjoy your week!

What games would you recommend to buy for a primary school (6-16 y.o.) common room, our well-known Polish "swietlica"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Osiris Ra wrote:
Congrats!

BTW, I adore Prêt-à-Porter and have been playing the heck out of it. I love hard-edged economic games, and this one fits that bill like few others. (My only grousing is that I wish I thought of it first!) Hopefully it breaks into the Top 100 now that it's available in the US. But, I have to ask, honestly, beyond what you stated in the blog, what really made you pick the Fashion Industry for this wonderful, little business sim?

It was not my idea.
Story was:
During Pionek (boardgame convention I organise) we organised prototypes workshop, where young authors were presenting their games and play them and discuss.

One of prototypes shown there was Pret-a-Porter by Jacek Nowak (Ja_N). We saw that prototype and we thought it has potential. We contacted Jacek and asked him if he would like to finish the game for us. He was interested and start working on his prototype. Unfortunately, months passed, new versions of prototype were ready, but it was still not good for publishing. Finally we met Jacek and discussed what to do. We decided we have to start right from zero. He was tired of working on prototype and was not interested in another months of work. We decided that Portal will keep theme and title (which we believed was great) and try to do it from zero.

That is why Ja_N is in Thanks section in PaP. He was very supportive for all time even that final version of PaP has nothing to do with his first version.

Osiris Ra wrote:

And, BTW, thanks for that. My girlfriend also adores the game, so a big thumbs up

Greetings for wife!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Osiris Ra wrote:

Also, are planning to explore any other unusual (untouched, barely touched) aspects of life for your upcoming games? Because if any of them are economic games with that same edge, I'm there.

This year and next year I will not do economy game. What 2014 will bring... I don't know

For sure I will never ever do a game with strange theme again. We thought it was a great, unique theme, but it turned out it was a very bad idea. Although Pret-a-Porter was Game of the Year nominee in Poland, although it had really great reviews on the net and very high BGG rating we have serious problem with finding distributors for this game (which was not a problem with Stronghold for example). This game has not distributor and is very hard to find in Germany, France, Spain, Italy... Generally in Europe only in Poland it has good distribution. Distributors in other countries are afraid of this theme.

You say you will see Pret-a-Porter in Top 100. I would say it is great if it makes Top 500. I don't see it going further. Good reviews don't go along with distributors being interested. This is a great but sad example.

So, in a future I will definitely try to make games with theme that is not unusual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Simon
United States
Ashley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Ignacy,

Congratulations! This is a good opportunity to ask a couple of questions that have been on my mind.

1. I love the fact that your games seem to have a large range in design, from the calculated maneuvers of Stronghold to the slightly more chaotic draw of cards of New Era/51st State. Which is a more fun design process? Which ultimately required more playtesting?

2. Because of the Invader's "learning curve" in Stronghold for first time players, I feel that too many people give up after a play or two thinking that the game isn't balanced. Was there any discussion about this prior to release? Was there any pressure to change it? Or was this not an experience for the testers of the game?

3. I know that you are a perfectionist with your designs and always strive for more improvement on them. What do you still wish that you could amend on any of your releases?

4. What is your favorite character from Lord of the Rings, and why?

5. How exactly do you pronounce your last name?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Ignacy!

1) Truth or beauty?
2) Speed or precision?
3) Justice or mercy?
4) Steadfast or flexible?
5) Cynicism or naivete?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
thinwhiteduke wrote:
Hey Ignacy,

Congratulations!

Thanks!

thinwhiteduke wrote:

This is a good opportunity to ask a couple of questions that have been on my mind.

1. I love the fact that your games seem to have a large range in design, from the calculated maneuvers of Stronghold to the slightly more chaotic draw of cards of New Era/51st State. Which is a more fun design process? Which ultimately required more playtesting?

From my perspective card game is far more easy to create and playtest. Since you have an good idea for rules you then only create few cards and you play and play. Card games are far quicker to play so you can play few times a day and test cards.

With boardgame there are much more rules to create, and much longer time of play. It is hard to play few test games per day.

What is more, it is easier to send PDF with cards to testers - so other people can play in other cities. With boardgame like Stronghold it was so difficult to produce prototypes and send many copies of game to testers. So it was much more testing on my head.

For example, 'Winter' expansion is almost ready - I design new cards - it was nice and easy and now it is sent to testers so they can play it and send me reports.

thinwhiteduke wrote:

2. Because of the Invader's "learning curve" in Stronghold for first time players, I feel that too many people give up after a play or two thinking that the game isn't balanced. Was there any discussion about this prior to release? Was there any pressure to change it? Or was this not an experience for the testers of the game?

We haven't realized that before publishing Stronghold.
We were so deep into game, we haven't seen that problem.
It was good lesson for us.
With Steel Police (which has problem with learning curve as well) we will publish PDF file with advices for beginner players.

thinwhiteduke wrote:

3. I know that you are a perfectionist with your designs and always strive for more improvement on them. What do you still wish that you could amend on any of your releases?

After a game is published I always see some things I could improve. In Pret-a-Porter I'd love to find better way for players obtain design cards. In 51st State I would change few cards that are too weak. In Stronghold I' change Hospital and few other small rules...

There isn't my game I am happy with after I see it on my shelf.

thinwhiteduke wrote:

4. What is your favorite character from Lord of the Rings, and why?

Boromir.
He sacrifices his life for hobbits.
I designed Monastyre RPG, and this is an epic RPG game about such heroes like Boromir. Good guys who made bad decision but then they do what they can to redeem their guilt. I love such stories.

thinwhiteduke wrote:

5. How exactly do you pronounce your last name?

I think that would be something like: Tschevicheck.
You can listen it here: http://www.ivona.com/en/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Pogoda
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
trzewik wrote:
So, in a future I will definitely try to make games with theme that is not unusual.

I’m not sure if the theme for P-a-P is so unusual, or if it is unusual theme for a game by Ignacy Trzewiczek Your name, dear Ignacy, is strongly associated with completely different genres, and I dare to say, it is not a coincidence, but you consciously made such a choice. Don’t you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Congratulations Ignacy!

1) Truth or beauty?
2) Speed or precision?
3) Justice or mercy?
4) Steadfast or flexible?
5) Cynicism or naivete?

ad1. Truth
ad2. Speed
ad3. I don't know
ad4. Flexible
ad5. Cynicism
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
And about poll... Answer C is a lie. I lost 3 games during demo games in Essen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.