7 Posts

Puerto Rico» Forums » Rules

Subject: Puerto Rico, are my instructions ok? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Walker
msg tools
Hello,
I'm new to Puerto Rico, and like most games I like to make a simple one page set of instructions to simply follow linearly without having to jump around pages or cross-reference stuff.

If anyone has time can they have a look to see if it's ok (I have no idea if it's of any use to anyone else as there probably exists other cheat sheets).

http://retrospec.sgn.net/puertorico.pdf

I couldn't figure out how to upload attachments to the forum.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see some problems:

Under "Playing the Game" it's probably worth mentioning that at the end of the round the Governor card is passed to the left.

Quote:
End game = at end of a phase
No: at end of a round. If I'm the Governor and my role triggers end of game, everyone else still gets to take a role before game ends.

Quote:
Mayor phase: No colonists left
There has to be negative colonists (i.e.: you can't fill the boat). It's possible that after the boat has filled there are no colonists left in the supply but this does not trigger end of game.

Quote:
Must put as many goods as the own of any one type
"The" looks like a typo, probably for "they". I'd suggest "as many goods as owned".

Not incorrect as such, but...:
Quote:
Occupied Factory: get doubloons for each kind of goods produced (barrel count is irrelevant): 2 goods=1 doubloon, 3 goods=2, 4 goods=3, 5 goods=5. Number of barrels is irrelevant.
Redundant "irrelevant" here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Walker
msg tools
Thanks, I've updated my instructions (and website link).

Having incorrect instructions is bad on our first game we swapped the governor card after every role (as we couldn't figure out what the purpose was other than to know who went first), and on the second we fixed this but ended up with the governor taking the privelege of every role thinking the governor had to do something more than be a placeholder....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Koehn
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A few more corrections regarding Capitan:

Quote:
Must put as many goods as they own of any one type

Is not quite accurate. You must ship as many barrels of the chosen good as you can, but that may be fewer than you own.

Also,
Quote:
If choice of empty ships must pick the one to take most barrels of the type chosen

is correct, but might be misleading. If you have only six goods of a single type, and the ships are all open, with 5, 6, and 7 spaces, you may not choose to ship on the 5 ship, but you aren't required to take the 7 ship, either. You can choose between the 6 and 7 ships. If you had 8 goods in the same scenario, you would have to ship on the 7 ship. Anyway, this rule is implied by the suggested correction above.

(There's actually a more confusing situation that arises if you have two or more possible types of goods to ship, and two or more open ships they can go on. In this case, you could choose to ship the type of good that you have the least of, even if you would have been able to ship more of one of the others. The choice of good comes first, then the choice of ship; it's when choosing the ship that you have to maximize the number of barrels shipped.)

Finally, you point out that only one type of good may be on each ship, but you fail to mention the equally important point that each type of good may be on only one ship. (You can't start a second ship of corn, for instance, even if the first has filled up during the captain phase -- in that case, no more corn may be shipped until the next captain phase, provided the empty ship(s) don't get used for something else, first).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kerstholt
Netherlands
Sebaldeburen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
neilw wrote:
I couldn't figure out how to upload attachments to the forum.

It is really easy.
Each game has a "Files" section. In the blue bar you will find a link "Upload file ...".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Johns
New Zealand
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I can see just one possible omission, apart from what other people have mentioned.

In your description of the Craftsman phase there are some things you don't mention, although it could be argued that they're implied elsewhere. Specifically, you didn't mention what happens if the supply of a type of goods is insufficient for everyone's production. The general rule "[r]emaining players take action only in turn in clock-wise order" implies that priority for limited goods in the supply is determined by the turn order within the phase, but someone reading your instructions might not realize that the Craftman gets the privilege of one extra barrel only after everyone else has had a chance to get goods (and so can't use that privilege to get scarce goods and make somebody else miss out).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Starling
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
I can't comment on the instructions as tonight was the first time Puerto Rico hit the table for me, but I appreciate you work and this looks to be very helpful for future plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.