Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the econmics of the game. Spending mony to upgrade ships, In genereal streanghtn you fleet by add ships and land units. I want to keep this aspect but throw away dice and find a new way to resulve conflict. Has anygame attempted this yest?

Thank you ,

Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually you need the World in War: Combined Arms 1939-1945. All units cost the same, but have slightly different powers. Combat is very paper rock scissors, but with so many types of troops it's not easy. Most units can destroy their own type and one other, but can not hit others.

Also if you look around you can find diceless variants for A&A.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jr4417 wrote:
I enjoy the econmics of the game. Spending mony to upgrade ships, In genereal streanghtn you fleet by add ships and land units. I want to keep this aspect but throw away dice and find a new way to resulve conflict. Has anygame attempted this yest?

This is the game you want:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/254/empires-in-arms

But if you can't find a copy of that one, then you can get this one:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1499/world-in-flames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb

If you don't mind losing friends, you could try this little gem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jr4417 wrote:

Thank you ,

Jason

I guess the key question here is, are you potentially interested in something considerably more complex? Or is what you really want literally A&A with a CRT rather than buckets of dice combat resolution? If the former, there are a number of wargames with some form of 'production', as well as 'research' (i.e. upgrading weapons). If it is the latter that you are really interested in, it probably wouldn't be too much work to construct a 'fire' format CRT - i.e. each side would 'shoot' at the other and inflict damage, however, rather than rolling (potentially) large number of dice, you would simply total factors and make one die (dice) roll and reference a table (i.e. Combat Resolution Table) to determine the amount of damage inflicted on the enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quit playin' with toys man!

Jump in with both feet. Get the real "production" wargame.

World in Flames is what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
The universal answer to all things wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cornelissen
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:

Oh no you didn't...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the next step up in terms of realism, while still retaining a great deal of playability, is Europe Engulfed. It's a not-too-heavy European theater game that adds a lot without adding too much extra overhead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cornelissen
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
I find the next step up in terms of realism, while still retaining a great deal of playability, is Europe Engulfed. It's a not-too-heavy European theater game that adds a lot without adding too much extra overhead.

I was going to suggest the same, but I held off because of the high cost. I was worried Europe Engulfed might be too much ($90 last I checked) for someone who might be used to $25 for Axis & Allies: 1942. Heck, $90 is expensive for any gamer.

BTW, Europe Engulfed is on my short list of next games to buy. It just looks too awesome to pass up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
I have taught Europe Engulfed to a bunch of non-wargamer (battletechers) friends and they love it. For me, it is clearly the step up from Axis and Allies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Welcome BACH! Antonio, and had the O.P. seen this any yet? Superpowers whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
The Necronomicon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbYcB9ctu8
mbmbmbmbmb
Used 1st editions of Europe Engulfed often go for $30 plus shipping on EBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
StarCraft: The Board Game.

It uses a deck of cards for combat. You can upgrade your deck by researching technologies (this game invented deckbuilding for all that i know).

It scales really well whatever the number of players. Definitely a huge step up from Axis and Allies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My standard recommendation for someone in your position is Blitzkrieg General. It is only slightly more complex than A&A but adds some nationality aspects and cleans up combat. It also can be completed in a shorter time frame. The combat system is not diceless and does not use a CRT but it produces 'good' results. It is not as 'pretty' as most other games but it is fun to play. I think it is a terrific game.

Europe Engulfed is also a good step up, but it does involve a lot of dice. If you use the 'shortcut method' of rolling it plays a little better, imo.

From my one playing of WiF I found it to resemble A&A more than any other game except that it is a LOT more complicated. I am gong to play it again (probably in April) to se if the latest rules fix the problems I had with the rules, but it still gives an A&A like nod to politics and will still be more complicated. The complexity makes it a bad 'next step from A&A' game, imo.

If you are willing to step out of WWII then History of the World/A Brief History of the World are also very good 'next step up from A&A' games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xlhrider wrote:

I took your advice and purchased world in flames. It is the one game that kept coming up so hopefully it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
I have taught Europe Engulfed to a bunch of non-wargamer (battletechers) friends and they love it. For me, it is clearly the step up from Axis and Allies.

Battletech is just as heavy as any "real" wargame and I'd call it a wargame myself. I have the first 3 or 4 rules books right now and I'm sure combined they are bulletproof.

Largo68 wrote:
I was going to suggest the same, but I held off because of the high cost. I was worried Europe Engulfed might be too much ($90 last I checked) for someone who might be used to $25 for Axis & Allies 1942 Edition. Heck, $90 is expensive for any gamer.

As someone who has bought both the Europe and Pacific versions of A&A I wish they were $25 !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jr4417 wrote:
xlhrider wrote:

I took your advice and purchased world in flames. It is the one game that kept coming up so hopefully it works.

WOW! Trusting fellow aren't you.

I hope you took a minute to at least look at some of the pictures on the World in Flames page. Or perhaps just the playing time of this monster! Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jr4417 wrote:

Y'know what else keeps coming up? Case Blue yuk

Seriously, good luck on WiF... it's been to big of a monster for me to ever tackle. Its seems like a game whose rulebook you keep reading but never play. I hope you looked at the play time before purchasing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jr4417 wrote:

Wow! You are a bold man! But I think that you may have made the right choice. If you like the long range strategy involved in building up a military, then World in Flames is really one of the most interesting experiences that you can have. If you have 5 or 6 or 7 players willing to put in the effort to learn this huge game, you can be entertained for a year at a time with each full campaign game. I have some friends who have played World in Flames several times, and are up to mid-1941 in yet another full campaign.

The rules are difficult to absorb. There are also several different editions. Which editition did you buy? The players in my local area are playing WiF Final Edition, with Ships in Flames and Planes in Flames. Try to find all available online resources, Consimworld, BGG, and anything else you can find to help you learn this big beast of a game.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1499/world-in-flames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Phoenix, AZ
Arizona
flag msg tools
Silenced - BGG's moderation policies have driven me completely from here
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/
mb
jr4417 wrote:

Good luck with that.

Personally, I'd suggest picking up an old copy of Rise and Decline of the Third Reich,
even if it's 2nd edition (3rd and 4th are a little better, 1st would
be a mistake). I think you'll find it an easier step up.

If you do dive right into WiF, keep in mind that it is NOT intended
as a first wargame, and builds upon concepts that other games may
explain better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
If you do dive right into WiF, keep in mind that it is NOT intended as a first wargame, and builds upon concepts that other games may
explain better.
Other games explain things a LOT better than the WiF rules. Best wishes and feel free to haring the guys who recommended WiF with rules questions and for help in understanding the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll want to make this guy:
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
your new best friend. He's the acknowledged master of all things WiF around here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
jr4417 wrote:

Good luck with that.

Personally, I'd suggest picking up an old copy of Rise and Decline of the Third Reich,
even if it's 2nd edition (3rd and 4th are a little better, 1st would
be a mistake). I think you'll find it an easier step up.

If you do dive right into WiF, keep in mind that it is NOT intended
as a first wargame, and builds upon concepts that other games may
explain better.

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The key to WiF, or so I've been told since I could never get them to do it, is to have someone teach it to you. In my area there were several players, but they all wanted to play the grand game with every expansion, and I couldn't commit to a 100 hour plus game.

If you can get someone to play the European game with you, you will pick up the basics of ground warfare. The Pacific game will teach you naval warfare. Then you can move up to the full game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.